Inbound! Inbound!

Fubb

Chieftain
A friend and I were playing The Cold War: Fast Short and Sweet v1.9 (or something along those, lines, i can never remember the name). I was The U.S and He was the USSR. After an EXTREMELY long game, we soon found ourselves in the year 1987. Let me tell you some stuff that has happened so far;

NITE: Im just recalling the important things that happened, i honestly cant remember everything!

We were both VERY nuclear capable in the early 1970's. Actually i was in 1967. We both agreed that we would take nukes very slowly. Well, in 1960, i got France and Vietnam to make peace. This allowed me to slowly build troops and air units up in the country. At the same time, the USSR was conducting exercises in the Pacific, He captured Borneo from right under my nose! I did have numerous units on the island about to move in, but he beat me to it. At the same time, I had captured the Algiers, which had recently revolted.

I noticed, thanks to a spy, he was building up troops in Western Germany. This is already around 65ish, after we both just floated our navies about the place. So i sent more units, And he sent more units.

Well, now it was '67. A new war had now broken out between France and Vietnam, and i was more then ready. My naval forces in the area began bombarding the vietnam coast, and my air force began hitting the cities. As this was happening, i also moved ground forces in to capture everything. Most casualties were on the ground (only 2 F-15's were shot down in the entire conflict, while navy had 0 casualties. I honestly lost count of how many i lost on the ground though, atleast 10) Nearing the end of 67, i think November, i had already made 3 ICBM's. Being mad at my inability to capture Hanoi, i said 'Hey, watch this' to him, and...well, Nuked Hanoi. He was extremely angry. Sadly after that Vietnam wouldnt let me talk to him, and the war continued, so i just continued using my strategy until he only had one city left, in which then i just dug in around him (i didn't want to destroy him, cause i liked the idea of having an ongoing war, so i just continued to attack him :p)

So now with Hanoi surrounded, and easily attacked by the airforce and navy, I averted my Attention to Port Au Prince. In was January of 1968, and my comrade had surrounded the island with his navy. I knew exactly what he was going to do! However,r i held off attacking him because i knew i'd be stuck in America, as my European forces were extremely outnumbered. Instead, i let him surround the little island as i prepared to send more troops to euriope.

In 1970, he told me 'Watch this' and as you guessed, 'Boom!' cept instead of attacking a city, he attacked in the middle of the atlantic, VERY CLOSE to one of my destroyers might I add.

So now things were pretty simple. We both built up, built up, built up, and played cat and mouse. It was in 1973 that we found out you couldn't put Strategic Missile Launchers in transports, which destroyed his chances of trying to scare me by putting nukes in Port au Prince! instead, he just began to rush build a nuclear power plant to begin building nukes after (which i dont even think he was done the plant until maybe the 80's!)

In 1975 we were both bored. I finished the war with vietnam by capturing their capital, and He broke all ties with Yugoslavia and RP'd that it was a rouge Communist state. Yugoslavia was the big thing now. He invaded it, I invaded it, and more then once we both threatened to kill each other as we neared the capital. As this was going on, i took the time to send 2 spies into eastern Europe and look around. I was really lucky when i stopped the production of a ICBM in Leningrad (that sneaky little guy) but he knew it was me, and spent the next little while putting his entire army on high alert in Europe, by placing probably 75% of it in the border zones (eek!) I could not get troops to Europe fast enough, so instead of invading me, he told me to stand down in Yugoslavia, which I did. However, instead of giving HIM the 2 cities i acquired, i just gave them back to Yugoslavie, just to piss him off (he he he :D)

in 1980, i had amassed many nuclear weapons, as i suspect he did too. We both made a deal though, saying 'If we are goona nuke each other, no star wars" (meaning no satellite SDI that shoot down nukes, cause we want fair game)

We now spent the next few years fooling about. India and Iran (for reasons still unknown...i mean honestly, we have no idea why) declared war on each other. Perhaps it was a bug :\ either way, they were now at war. We both took this time to intervene. He invaded Northern Iran, and I invaded from the Sea. I only captured on city, and tried to capture more, but soon we found ourselves in 1985. Iran was vanquished, Yugoslavia was vanquished. It was now that i realized i was extremely under matched in ground forces. I easily dominated in number on the seas and in the air, but still. I was conducting a routing patrol of my coastal zones when i picked up his nuclear submarines, 5 of them, on the east coast, and told him to withdraw.

He spent the same number trying to find my subs, and succeeded, it was now 87. I refused to withdraw my subs, and he refused to withdraw his. OH BOY. Its obvious what happens next. With my having 8 Sub on his west coast and 5 on his East, and some 38 ICBM's on the mainland (most of them in strategic missile launchers in northern Canada which was NATO territory, where he wouldn't expect them! Har har har!) i was prepared to crippled him. Sadly, it was HIS TURN. this is just a dramatization. The only error i can say for him was not just launching all his nukes at once ><. Note, war had not played out yet. I also had a ton of B52's in Stockholm which would come in handy as well. Also, i can right allot better then this, im just lazy :p

August 7th, 1987. Off the coast of Northern USSR

On board 'Detroit' Nuclear Missile Submarine, flag ship of Admiral Heritz, United States Navy.

"Sir!" screamed the radar operator, "We have a large air track inbound! It looks like a missile!'

Heritz ran to the radar monitor and looked. Definitely a missile. "Calculate Trajectory!"

"Sir, looks like its headed for Denver!"

"Denver? Why would the commies attack Denver? Makes no sense, not a strategic target. Hold off, get me anybody you can, we need to contact the soviets."

"Roger"

=3 hours later, after a bunch of radio confusion=

"Sir." Said the First lieutenant, On the satellite phone, "It's for you"

Heritz took the phone in his hand. "Hello?"

"Admiral, this is the Secretary of Defense, we have to talk."

"Shoot, sir" Heritz said. Something must be up for the SoD to contact him.

"Approximately 30 minutes ago, the city of Denver, Colorado was hit with a silo-launched ICBM. We dont know how many are dead, it was an air burst, either way, we're estimated at least 500 thousand to 1 million casualties. Either way Admiral, we are now at war with the Soviet Union. Weapons free, nukes are now on a Use em' or Lose em' policy, launch at strategic target ...Arkhangelsk. I've got other plans to make. Feel free to launch! Over and out."

The line went dead. Heritz, sweat beading his forehead, thought for a moment. He could have reported that missile in, he could have warned them. Sure, people would have died still, but they would have at least had a warning. So many could have been saved.

"Lieutenant" Heritz said, "Prepare for launch."

Everything else passed in a haze. Even as they launched the missile, he still couldnt really believe what was going on. As they watched the track on the radar, he shivered as it neared ever closer to Arkhangelsk.

"Sir? Now what?"

"Iceland"

"Roger"

There was nothing more to say. This was world war 3, and they would need to return to the mainland to receive a second pay load.

"Sir, Track disappeared, target Arkhangelsk hit."

"Acknowledged. Maintain current heading. We'll rest in iceland for a day to refuel, then continue to New York for re arming.

1 Hour Later

Somewhere East of Iceland

"Sir, 30 plus air tracks!"

"......" Heritz said, gazing at the electronic monitor "Get me washington!"

In a few minutes he was on the phone again with the Secretary of Defense

"I know whats happening Heritz, NORAD has already told us. We also have 7 Submarine based nukes hitting us, 5 from the east coast and 2 on the west. Once they detonate the EMP will shut anything thats still alive in the country down. The president and I, as well as the rest of the staff are being transported to Mount Weather, and we're evacuating as many civilians into the countryside as well, i have no time, continues to New York, in a month if anything is still alive, we'll see what happens." Again the line went dead.

1 hour later.

South of Iceland

"Sir, arn't we refueling at Iceland?"

"No," Heritz said, "continue straight to New york."

He gazed at the monitor. Some 30 tracks were heading to the States from mainland Russia. Probably 40 were heading from the U.S.A to Russia. This was it, the end.

Within the hour, they lost all satellite up links. The EMP blasts. they continued on their way.

3 Weeks Later, Off the coast of New York.

Staring through the periscope, he gazed at the city. nothing but the hollow shells of sky scrapers. Dockyards, empty.

"Try contacting Mount Weather again, its been a week."

"Roger"

to his surprise, the call came through. The gamma radiation was finally lifting enough for a phone call, albeit a very staticy one, to get through. It was the SoD again.

"Wow, you only the third sub to contact me, Heritz. Everyones in disaray, this is such a mess up. horsehockys hitting the fan now I tell ya. I dont have any idea for what you should do. Try and make it to the Panama Canal, we know it wasn't hit in the nuclear strike. Right before the nukes hit, the last order we gave was to launch all ICBM's, and begin attacking Ruskie's in europe. From what i heard, our forces succsefully witheld their attack, and all our B52's hit their targets. By the sounds of things the ruskies were decimated and our forces were goona continue moving into europe, before a nuclear warhead detonated over West Berlin. Doesn't matter, we hit the East too. Ain't nothing alive in their anymore. Other then that, we got nothing, we got what ever rad teams we could get our hands on working in DC trying to clear everything up so we can get running again, but it'll take a while....

1988. The affects of nuclear war have witheld a bit. Los Angelas in the west (population 4 million) and Washington and New York in the east (Washington, 5 million, New York 4 million) have had much success in redeploying some troops to the surrounding country side, however, it will take year for the radiation to disappear. They have amassed a total of 2 USMC units, a M1A1 Abrams tank, a landing craft and a destroyer, as well as Heritz's submarine, newly loaded with the United states last nuclear warhead, set off to Europe. A tiny small scale war has continued to turn whats left of europe upside down. however, Soviet forces, completly unable to use there infrastructure, are in the retreat to the reminiscent of the americans and NATO's forces.

In November if 1988, Heritz's submarine launched the nuclear warhead at Moscow as the ground forces of the tiny fleet amassed just a few months earlier in washington landing and moved in. After the explosion, the ground forces seized the city, only encountering a tiny reminiscent unit of the Red Army.

After that, the world just seemed to slowly fade away

(we ended the game in 1989)

hoped you enjoyed this OVERLY LONG THING.

I have another Cold War story which is a little longer, because it features a global nuclear war between NATO, UK, France, and the U.S against Iran, India, China and USSR. Very riveting, and im in the process of putting it together NAOW!

Top Bottom