India - Cultural Victory - King Experience

GKShaman

Prince
Used to play Immortal but had to downgrade to King to understand all the new mechanics. Still do Tradition start but hard build a second settler on turn 20 or so.

In my game in Brave New World I found the Cultural Victory to be far more engaging. Really REALLY fun with the artifacts, great works, newer trees and wonders. I won on T380 (I would have screenshot but my print screen function didnt work.)

What I noticed has changes with regard to Wonders, Ideology, and why India

MUST HAVE WONDERS (Not necessarily must haves but optimize with the cultural strategy)

Mausoleum of Halicarnusses - the AI ignores it completely and with Great Engineers, Musicians, Writers, Scientists, Artists, Merchants, and etc. YOU ARE GONNA make a LOT OF PROFIT. I would estimate over the game I made over 2000 gold from this wonder.

Petra and Colussus - I try to build both just because that two extra trade routes and it gives you a great deal of gold early when you need that for infrastructure for buildings and units.

The rest are based on victory types. For cultural definitely try to get Uffizi and Louvre although its a bit difficult.

IDEOLOGY

I wanna hear from others - what ideology do u guys like? I imagine Autocracy for domination, but otherwise I find FREEDOM to be great for two reasons: Avant Garde (+25% great people generation), all the happiness buffs from infrastructure buildings, AND Volunteer Army (6 units maintenance free and 6 foreign legions).

WHY INDIA?

Under Aesthetics tree
Fine Arts: 50% excess Happiness added each turn to the amount of Culture that may be spent on Social Policies.
Played correctly u'll be buffing ur culture output a lot.

The food trade routes, especially cargo ships makes the UA relevant earlier. Also far less city spamming done by opponent so more time to settle first few cities.

The UB Mughal is perfectly positioned in the Culture Game. When u hit flight with 6 cities and 6 forts u get a flat +12 tourism (as much as the eiffel tower). For the past few turns u had been getting +12 culture from the forts. So all in all its excellent. India With Neushwantein - WOWza its +4 culture, +3 gold, +2 Tourism and +1 happiness PER FORT.

What you need to do as India is really leverage the happiness bonus and the early tourism.

Get growth religion, tradition, temple of artemis. You are on grasslands start, so Hanging Gardens not that useful and AI prioritizes it very early. Use domestic trade routes to pump your NC city, and any city with an observatory. Sell your luxes for gold, which causes CS to want them back, so you also get a very nice CS bonus. This is pretty obvious.

But, the real trick is to leverage your early tourism. AI selects Ideology based on influence levels (due to wanting to avoid the unhappiness hit). So, if you can get higher than exotic before the AI picks an Ideology, they WILL follow you (unless you pick Freedom and they want to war... so, pick Order instead, because no AI is actually gunning for a Diplo victory, that stuff just happens). This means BNW actually changed the game so that India is in the best position (with early tourism) to actually make world peace happen. Even if you do Freedom, you should get most of the World to follow you, but in my experience, Order is 100%.

Top Bottom