• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

IndieStone - Visual Tech Tree Editor

I'm sorry to here that...

But, I just do not know any programming language. All I even learn fromn Civ5 Modding was using templates from another Mods and Kael's Modders Guide. I own a working copy of Visual Tech Tree Editor, if "a build" is that (or is it an .ismod file?)

Ok, my solution:

1. Delete all Technologies with an .xml file

Code:
<GameData>
<Technologies>
<Delete />
</Technologies>
</GameData>

2. Load the .xml file you just created to Indie Stone Visual Tech Tree Editor

3. Load ...\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Technologies\CIV5Technologies

4. Done!

Ok, my solution:

1. Delete all Technologies with an .xml file

Code:
<GameData>
<Technologies>
<Delete />
</Technologies>
</GameData>

2. Load the .xml file you just created to Indie Stone Visual Tech Tree Editor

3. Load ...\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Technologies\CIV5Technologies

4. Done!

This works great, except some images aren't loaded in (which is not an issue to me).

Thank you lemmy & binky for a great program, I hope you can come back from the burglary.

is this for Civ 5 or Civ 4 or both?

Edit: is there one for Civ 4 as well?

This works great, except some images aren't loaded in (which is not an issue to me).

Thank you lemmy & binky for a great program, I hope you can come back from the burglary.

happened to me too, but it works after all. If it crashes just use the autosave.xml files.

Saw some recent posts (yesterday) here and I think project Zomboid is something that is working

Workaround to Path Errors:

1. Create a folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets named Assets with the both C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC and C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay folders into it.

2. Create a folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets named Resources with C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\resource subfolders into it

Working Build Attached, in .zip file format.

Attachments

• IndieStoneTechTreeEditor0_9.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 75
In the interests of getting this awesome tool up and working again I've decompiled the latest version of it I've found on here.

From another, related topic:

I wasn't around to use it, and all the tutorial pictures are dead links. But, when I ran it, it didn't crash but was confusing. There was two of everything like iron for example. Moving iron to an early tech worked but left one of the two irons back at the original tech.

I don't know for sure, but since I didn't set any directories or put it anyplace special it probably is scanning the base directory inward and getting what it needs. Finding duplicates of everything under the expansion DLC is confusing it.

Complete guesses though.

From what I can see, the difficulties Hambil describes here are caused exactly as he expected. If we take a look at this function:

Code:
private void LoadDir(string s)
{
	string[] files = Directory.GetFiles(s);
	string[] array = files;
	for (int i = 0; i < array.Length; i++)
	{
		string text = array[i];
		if (text.ToLower().Contains(".xml") && !text.ToLower().Contains("civ5artdefines_") && !text.ToLower().Contains("scenario"))
		{
			this.loadList.Add(text);
		}
	}
	string[] directories = Directory.GetDirectories(s);
	string[] array2 = directories;
	for (int j = 0; j < array2.Length; j++)
	{
		string text2 = array2[j];
		if (!text2.ToLower().Contains("\\lua") && !text2.ToLower().Contains("scenario") && !text2.ToLower().Contains("ja_jp"))
		{
			this.LoadDir(text2);
		}
	}
}

We can see that the Visual Tech Tree editor does a recursive scan through the Civ5 install directory (it retrieves the install path from the registry elsewhere) and picks up all non-lua- and scenario-related XML files. Since the whole game DB is duplicated with additions in G&K (or at least most of it), it picks up all of the vanilla stuff twice. I'm confident I can edit this to behave properly, but I first need to make sure I know what 'properly' is.

Does anyone know if all vanilla game files can be ignored and everything loaded from the G&K directory? If so, that's probably the easiest fix and just involves searching from the Expansion directory downwards instead of from the top of the Civ5 install.

Does anyone know if all vanilla game files can be ignored and everything loaded from the G&K directory?

No. G&K only replaces those files it changed, so the logic is

1) Recursively scan the vanilla folder and load any file that doesn't have a corresponding file in the G&K folder structure
2) Recusively scan the G&K folder structure and load every file in there

1) Recursively scan the vanilla folder and load any file that doesn't have a corresponding file in the G&K folder structure
Swap 2) with 1) perhaps? Then you can keep a list of files loaded already and ignore then easily in the vanilla scan.

No. G&K only replaces those files it changed, so the logic is

Swap 2) with 1) perhaps? Then you can keep a list of files loaded already and ignore then easily in the vanilla scan.

Sounds like a plan and definitely something I can do. I'll try to get on this sometime this week and upload as soon as I've got a build that works properly. I anticipate the first structure I have in mind will be broken by BNW in that it won't import BNW assets that replace G&K/vanilla files, but that's a bridge to be crossed when that expansion releases.

Slight progress, the editor no longer loads duplicates of everything because of the DLC duplication. But because the image files for the textures are included inside the Tech Editor (instead of read out of the install directory) it doesn't have images for anything added with G&K. If it were purely an aesthetic issue then it wouldn't matter too much, but new builds/units don't show up under their technologies and so can't be selected in the UI (and therefore can't be edited).

I'm looking into how the editor manages mapping the atlases from the DB (because it does read them from the DB) to the files it keeps internally. Will keep you appraised on how it's going!

EDIT: Ok, I think I understand how this works. I want to test it, but for some reason the actual unpacked texture atlases on my machine appear to be garbled or GIMP can't open them properly.

Attachments

• Garbled Unit Atlas.jpg
    Garbled Unit Atlas.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom