Inflation

maybe inflation could get higher as you gain gold, it will jump a bit if you get a large lump sum and will slowly rise if you are making a profit and will slowly decrease if you are in debt

That being said, I have noticed that inflation in FfH is quite significantly greater then it is in vanilla... any reason for that, in particular?

I think some reasons could be:
- length of game
- unit costs
- civics costs (this plays the largest role probably)

You don't need magic to overproduce gold. Spain suffered from inflation after all the gold and silver it took from America.

In a history of Spain I read that the Spanish government spent so much money on finance charges for their various wars and expeditions that "gold poured off Spain like rain off the rooftops."

I always thought that was a brilliant quote.

PS

Gold is not coming straight from the mines to money, but first goes through the mints. The more coins the government creates, the more gold depreciates. Thus inflation is just as important in Erebus as in the real world. Reducing it means you must lessen matinence and practically everything involving money, which is not worth it.

Okay, I just hit inflation of 112 percent, which is killing the Khazad economy, so I'd like to resurrect this thread.

Happened a few turns after I punished the forgers.

what a beautiful example of thread necromacy :)

Anyway, I hope that someone will say anything about it

From a game standpoint, I view inflation simply as part fo the cost. Everything costs more as time goes on. In 'real money' terms, then, if you economy doesn't expand/increase your real purchasing power declines. The critical issue is recognizing how costs work. Yes, you may have to disband military forces as the game goes on if your economy doesn't grow.

Don't forget there are some game ideas that help. For instance, if you take overseas cities, it is often a VERY good idea to liberate them; your trade with those cities is now worth a different country, increasing the value of trade substantially; moreover, you don't have to pay the horrendous upkeep costs. Late in the game, with a large empire, city states is often a must Civic. (In regular Civ, you need courthouses, etc.

Best wishes,

Breunor

There is something to consider when thinking of inflation in medieval/FFH terms.

You see, the inflation that happens here is nothing like that we know from the 20th century world. In medieval times, the driving force for inflation was the growing population and lands. The larger your lands and the more people you have the more gold you need so that there is enough for everyone.

After all, if you have 1000 people but only 100 gold coins that won't end well. But the amount of gold produced per year is often static or worse yet decreases over time. So what the government does is they dilute the percentage of gold in their coins.

Something like this was seen near the end of the Roman Empire when the imperial coins went from 100% gold to under 1%. This was not because the government had ran out of gold but because there were just too many troops and people to pay with the same amount of it.

There are a couple of .xml files in the Game Options (I think), which allow you to turn off inflation (indeed, you can even turn on the option to turn it off and on) These were principally used in the scenarios, but there's no reason why you can't turn on (off) the inflation option, as befits your needs.

Personnally I'm not keen on the inflation mechanic in Civ IV. It may have some basis in realism, but it sure sucks some of the fun out of the gameplay. To each their own.

There are already several ways of dealing with inflation; in a way, inflation serves as an encouragement to lower your costs. If you want to, you can play a strategy in which the only thing you pay for is your civics costs.

Top Bottom