Info: who you play as.

Kullervo

Mahler/Sibelius Freak
Hello everyone... I have decided to do something beneficial to everyone, so this post will be, rather than asking a question, stating some things I have noticed about Civ IV.

This will be the first of a series of such posts, including starting location, 'cribs' that the AI normally does, etc.

So... WHO YOU START AS MATTERS!

If you start as a relatively peaceful civ, you are very likely to be put on the same continent or even right next to warmongers. In particular this is noticeable when playing as Hatshepsut. Once, I was put on the same continent as: Nappy, Toku, Monty, Genghi, and, as an afterthought, Peter. Thsi is because the Civ engine actually makes it more challenging for you. Note that when you start as an AI who has hunting or mining for a start, you're less likely to get hills or deer/fur/ivory nearby.

If you start as a Civ that, as an AI, is notoriously expansive, such as Cyrus, you will be alone on a continent which will usually small, HOWEVER, you will get plagued by barbarians 24/7. A civ that is also expansive but less so will usually be balanced by one or two people on the continent, generally creative.

Some civilizations on some difficulty levels will start in the polar regions, surrounded by their own little oasis of plains in the middle of ice. This is a very challenging starting spot. The most common ways to start there is to play as: Kublai on Prince or Immortal, Nappy on Monarch, Peter on Prince, JC on Immortal, Mansa on Deity, Monty on Emperor.

Also, the more starting resources you see immediately, the less you will get later. If you see Horses, Cattle, Corn, and Sheep or Ivory (which, by the way, is a great starting loc), chances are you won't have any copper, coal, iron, or aluminum there later. Also, if you have bunched resources (such as cattle right next to a gold hill or silk... in short, two different resources right next to each other), chances are, in the areas around you, you won't get too many other resources.

Well, that's it for the first part of the 'Info' series. Stay logged for more.

*** IMPORTANT! All of the information listed in the 'Info' series is the result of clever deduction, conjecture, and half-hearted research. The results you get may differ.

Other than the point about starting with many resources meaning that there are fewer to discover, that's basically all untrue as far as I can tell.

I highlight once again that this is just what I noticed. But the Civ engine does tailor itself to how you start to challenge you more. That's a fact, you can look it up.

And once again, this is just what I've noticed. It's possible that I'm wrong, however, this has worked for me. I just decided to share it, see if anyone else has the same game experience.

I think it's all pretty random, so coincidences are bound to happen. I usually play the same few leaders and sometimes I get loads of resources around me and other times I get nothing.

um... yeah, the folks here (who are way smarter than I am) who take the code apart and put it back together again for mods and patches have never mentioned the AI being adaptive to your style of play over a series of games. Or most of the other stuff you mention.

I hate to say it, but I think youre imagining it - much like the way we imagine the AI cheats when we lose a couple of 99% odds battles in a row. (That's when I make myself repeat "99% does not equal 100%" over and over until I calm down... :p )

Anyway, I've never noticed this consistently, or heard anyone else speak of it, but have seen games where it happens. Of course, I've seen the opposite happen too. It's random - you just only really notice it when it screws with you, so it appears to be all the time.

EDIT: one thing I DO believe to be true is that coastal/fishing civs will start on a coast (i.e. the vikings, or Willem the Orange (sp?)) but I don't think that's what you're talking about (nor am I absolutely sure that's even true all the time...)

Hi

Im STILL pretty sure there is some code in there SOME where that says something like:

Begin

Read Players MInd

Then

Mess With IT

End.

:p

Kaytie

Sorry OP, but most of this is your imagination. Enough people have pulled apart the code to know there's nothing in there to produce that kind of biased start for a civ. You're not the first to make this kind of claim, and the giveaway is that no two people will agree on what these perceived patterns are.

One exception:

Kullervo said:
Also, the more starting resources you see immediately, the less you will get later. If you see Horses, Cattle, Corn, and Sheep or Ivory (which, by the way, is a great starting loc), chances are you won't have any copper, coal, iron, or aluminum there later. Also, if you have bunched resources (such as cattle right next to a gold hill or silk... in short, two different resources right next to each other), chances are, in the areas around you, you won't get too many other resources.

There's a grain of truth in this one, since the game is set up to "beautify" the starting location of each civ. This means for example that you'll always start with at least one food boosting resource or some floodplain. In some versions of BtS there was also a rather badly implemented boost to forests, which meant you could tell with a very high degree of accuracy whether there were any undiscovered resources at your starting location. Once you're outside your starting location (i.e. the fat cross surrounding the tile your intial settler starts on) all bets are off though.

@MrCynical & @Kullervo:
My last game I loaded up, I was actually able to get my first 4 cities with 4 - 5 resources in each. (Gold, Corn, Cows, Horses, Rice, Wheat, Ivory, Wine, Iron)... it would have been a great game, had I not been on the same continent as Montezuma.

Top Bottom