Informal: DG VI Version

Choose one.

• Total voters

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
This does not consider using mods of any sort. It's an informal poll to see whether people would like to use vanilla or conquests for DG6. Related discussion is in pages 9-10 of this thread.

I voted abstain because while I don't have conquests anymore(it was left out and the dog thought it was a toy.) I rarely look at the saves since my computer is slow these days and it takes forever to run civ 3 on it.

I voted for Conquests, we need something new to keep interest in this game. Also, the large majority of people own conquests already, and even more know enough about it to beable to become active citizens.

Strider said:
I voted for Conquests, we need something new to keep interest in this game. Also, the large majority of people own conquests already, and even more know enough about it to beable to become active citizens.
I agree, we need to re jump start the demogame again wiht participation!

P.S. Gingerale its 1.22 not 1.22f, 'f' indidcates that the final patch(which isnt the case)
Moderator Action: P.S. the f is gone - Rik

I voted other meaning "not conquests". I said it in the discussion thread - if I can't load the save then my participation will be extremely limited. I just don't have the time to pull info tooth and nail from the various ministries if I were to be a minister or a governor.

What about the people that have macs? Are any playing the DG?

Note: I have Civ3Gold, meaning that I can only play PTW. I can usually load a Vanilla save file, but sometimes it crashes when I'm messing with build queues or trades.

MOTH said:
What about the people that have macs? Are any playing the DG?
SaaM is the only one I know of.

But you can still participate without being able to open the save, it just requires that ministers post details. I was governor of a province in DG1 and I wasn't able to open the save. You just need a little extra help ;)

Question to the mods - will we be permitted to use anything other than vanilla civ 3?

-- Ravensfire

Contrary to my stance prior to this DG, I voted for C3C. Demogame VI needs to be state of the art. Bring it current, use the features. Keep the people.

I currently hold both Vannila and C3C. So I chose naturaly the most recent once.

My personal preference is Conquests.

ravensfire said:
Question to the mods - will we be permitted to use anything other than vanilla civ 3?

-- Ravensfire
Let me refresh the memory for what the reasons were that Vanilla was "chosen" for DG5.
The main reason was that at that moment the patch 1.22 was just released and it was "certain" that in the foreseeable future a final patch was to be released; as both the Vanilla final patch and the PTW final patch had an "f" as last character; indicating "final patch" where 1.22 doesn't have the "f". There were many citizens playing SG's on 1.15 or 1.22, and citizens who would want to upgrade to higher versions because of games; which would have created a problem for them if the patches wouldn't be backwards compatible.
1.22 turned out to be the final patch, so for DG6 this isn't an issue anymore.

Another reason Vanilla was chosen was the Mac-users and the no-conquests owners. We didn't want to force anyone to make the choice between to buy the conquests-CD or to not play. This still is true, but this doesn't need to be an obstacle. I've seen DG6 plans that overcome this problem as the proposed setup is such that it is not needed for some to be able to load the game. I'm not saying that that is the final setup; I'm writing this to draw attention to the fact that "I don't have conquests, so it must be Vanilla" isn't neccesarily true.

Rik Meleet said:
My personal preference is Conquests.

Let me refresh the memory for what the reasons were that Vanilla was "chosen" for DG5.
The main reason was that at that moment the patch 1.22 was just released and it was "certain" that in the foreseeable future a final patch was to be released; as both the Vanilla final patch and the PTW final patch had an "f" as last character; indicating "final patch" where 1.22 doesn't have the "f". There were many citizens playing SG's on 1.15 or 1.22, and citizens who would want to upgrade to higher versions because of games; which would have created a problem for them if the patches wouldn't be backwards compatible.
1.22 turned out to be the final patch, so for DG6 this isn't an issue anymore.

Another reason Vanilla was chosen was the Mac-users and the no-conquests owners. We didn't want to force anyone to make the choice between to buy the conquests-CD or to not play. This still is true, but this doesn't need to be an obstacle. I've seen DG6 plans that overcome this problem as the proposed setup is such that it is not needed for some to be able to load the game. I'm not saying that that is the final setup; I'm writing this to draw attention to the fact that "I don't have conquests, so it must be Vanilla" isn't neccesarily true.

actually I believe firaxis will make another patch for conquests after they finish Civ4, they sent all their civ3 programmers to civ4 to finish civ4 faster...

Black_Hole said:
actually I believe firaxis will make another patch for conquests after they finish Civ4, they sent all their civ3 programmers to civ4 to finish civ4 faster...

:lol: Yea... right. Infogrames doesn't do a very good job of supporting their products. MOO3 got zilch for patches, Civ3 only got patched because so many people complained, etc.

Well, I am new to DG so my say carries little wait, but I believe that vanilla should be used because the pros out weigh the cons. How would you feel if you couldn't have complete participation because you were economically handicapped? I have conquests, though I still feel for those who don't. My vote is for vanilla. :)
BTW, Nice to meet you all. :goodjob:

Hi Gres, welcome to the demogame. :) Every vote counts...there's some discussion about this in the Citizen's forum too, so you can check that out.

To everyone: for now, I would assume the game version will turn out to be C3C, so when making ideas, think C3C, but vanilla is not a problem either for brainstorming.

To blackheart and Black_Hole: I doubt there will be another patch, like blackheart said (though Infogrames nor Atari make the patches - that's Firaxis' job, they write the code). While the patches do work, it would be perfect if the games came perfect, yes, but nothing is perfect. And Civ3 didn't get patches because people complained. They got them because the games needed them. ;)

Top Bottom