Ingame Editor

Hey,

if i try to use this mod with either "Madoka Magica Civilization Pack: Rebellion [BNW" or with one of the civs of this collection "Vice Virtuoso's Fate Series Civilizations" I get an error and can´t open the editor anymore. Both packs are from steamworkshop.

I have the following setup:

windows
all explansions
legal

cheers

So, i've recently downloaded and installed JFD's Rise to Power (Along with JFD's Cultural Diversity and JFD's Events Compendium), and it stops IGE (used to work well before) from starting. The message (bottom part) that appears after i try using IGE: "line C:\Users\admin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFDLC (8) - JFD's Rise to Power\JFDLC Shared\Lua\UI\Overrides\ToolTips\InfoTooltipinclude.lua:1081: attempt to index local 'resource' (a nil value)" I'm playing on PC, and i've bought my copy of Civilization V about 2 months ago on Steam and bought Gods and Kings soon after. The version of Rise to Power i've downloaded: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/jfds-rise-to-power.529810/

This error just started it would seem the game does not like the giant map? Please help if you can and I will keep looking also, thankx
upload_2018-5-4_8-14-20.png

Hey, I never got an error until today where a message popped out and said (skull) line Assets\DLC\Expansion2\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipinclude.lua293: attempt to compare number with nil

I am not entirely sure which mod is causing this problem but looking at the fact that it has something to do with the Tooltip, I think it's the Tommy Wisaeu mod because it changes the tooltip a bit I think. How can this error be fixed? Thank you and great mod btw.

The error: C:\...\Ingame Editor (v 39)\Panels\IGE_UnitsPanel.lua:89: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
The mod in conflict: R.E.D. DLL for BNW (include Revolutions and Cultural Diffusion) (link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=773976911)
I noticed some people start discussion forums in Steam that it wasn't working with RED's mods before. Thank you for taking time to consider this.

Hey,
i got the problem that when i start a game with IGE and then close Civ 5 and reload it, IGE is no longer availably to use. I play on PC and have a legal version with G&K and BNW. Is there a way that i can still use it in the 2nd and further sessions of one game?

I'm having an issue with the text/logo in game. Nothing MAJOR but it IS quite annoying

Attachments

• IGE.jpg
    IGE.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 374
I have encountered a bug of some sort playing the game after using IGE. First off, at the beginning of the game it says I have jewelry, but I don't get the +4 happiness from it anyway. But now, out of nowhere, for what seems to be no reason, I get a we love the king message because of my "Aquisition of Silver." but I have no silver.

UPDATE: Okay, I figured out what the problem was. I thought it would be cool to place a bunch of Feitoria's around, usually on a mountain tile. They look cool, but with Portugal not in the game, their effect of giving you an extra Luxury apparently falls to the player. (Or maybe it falls to every player, not sure.) So I pretty much just need to remove any of these that exist in City State lands.

Last edited:
More bugs to report:

Finished building the Oracle (tested the hurry building option in IGE with 2 turns remaining on it. Finished it the next turn)
Selected "Collective Rule" as my free policy, but guess what, I DID NOT GET THE FREE SETTLER!

I went back and tried finished the Oracle without using the "Hurry production" and I STILL DID NOT GET THE FREE SETTLER! What on Earth has bugged my game to where the policy doesn't do what it says it does?! I don't use any Mods, and I only use IGE when I'm EDITING. After the Save I go back out of the menu and play it with no mods going.

It would be really nice to be able to edit a map on turn 0, and NOT have to open the editor anymore, so that you could potentially
have someone play it that doesn't have the editor, but I'm going to have to recommend having the editor to use the save, so as to
work out ridiculous bugs like this that flat out shouldn't happen.

Is this how it's going to be because I've used the map editor? Am I going to have to manually give myself the free great person when I finish Liberty? What happens when a passive benefit from a social policy doesn't work and there's NO way to fix it?!

BTW, not sure if this is normal, but the 50% building of Settlers from Collective Rule only took my build time down from 11 turns to 8 turns should I build one. That's NOT 50% !!!

Bugged Silver strikes again: Took away those Feitoria's did indeed fix the problem, but now I'm NOT getting Silver from an Allied City State that has it!
I went into the editor and changed the Silver under his city tile to an iron, and built him a proper Silver Tundra with Mine next to the city.
No good, all I get are messages saying Aquired Silver, and then Lost Access to it. No Barbarians or anything nearby.

For some reason that only way I could even fix this was to give myself max city state influence with ANOTHER Militaristic City state to get their Silver, which I also had to remove from under their city and build an actual mine next to it. Definitely not what I was looking to do, but at least it's military, so I can turn off unit spawning and not get any bonus out of it. I have a ship parked in Acherus, killing Barbarian Galleys and Triremes and so I keep getting more influence with the Military City State that I WANTED the Silver from.

There is no issue with the Silver on a new game.

Last edited:
Why so angry? Mods are provided free of charge, if you don't like them or they don't work for you, stop using them.

DonQuiche retired from modding before I ever became an active member of the modding community. I've been an active member of the community for near five years now.

Bug reports and fix requests are therefore not going to accomplish anything.

And the issues with Social Policies via lua not implementing properly when implemented directly from an lua script (and granting buildings directly via an lua script) not always implementing correctly and completely is a Firaxis issue in the game's core software. There is nothing any mod-maker can do about it. The solution for social policies is not to directly-select any policy or policy-branch within the IGE interface, but rather to give oneself a large chunk of culture via IGE, then exit IGE and select the desired policy / policy-branch via the normal UI pop-up menu. Only then does the game's operating engine properly and completely implement the selected policy. The solution for buildings and wonder completion is to allow them to be completed normally as part of the game's normal turn processing -- for wonders the solution is to use IGE to create a Great Engineer and use the engineer to rush the wonder, which makes the wonder be completed on the next turn-processing allowing the game's engine to properly implement all the effects of the wonder.

Once you start a game with mods active you must reload any save via the mods menu and the modded saves "load saved game" menus. You cannot start a game with mods active (whether the mods in question are set to affect saved games or not) and then reload a save without going through the mods menu and reloading from the modded games menus. Notwithstanding various erroneous advices*1 banging around the internet on how this is OK and can be done, doing so causes any number of odd behaviors.

*1: someof these advices are hang-overs from previous game-behaviors which were true or semi-true at previous stages of the game's development, but which have not worked since I've been active in the Civ5 modding community.

So, i've recently downloaded and installed JFD's Rise to Power (Along with JFD's Cultural Diversity and JFD's Events Compendium), and it stops IGE (used to work well before) from starting. The message (bottom part) that appears after i try using IGE: "line C:\Users\admin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFDLC (8) - JFD's Rise to Power\JFDLC Shared\Lua\UI\Overrides\ToolTips\InfoTooltipinclude.lua:1081: attempt to index local 'resource' (a nil value)"
This indicates an issue in JFDs mod

Right, I figured as much. Not such why collective rule didn't give me the free settler (I had 5 cities built already) but it wasn't anything the editor couldn't easily work around, and the bugged resources issue is likely due to adding something to a tile the city is built on after it's already been built, something the game did not consider could ever be possible. For instance, if you make a city on flat ground and later make the ground into a hill, it will NOT get the +5 defense bonus, but it will get the tile yield. It will also get the resource if you add it, but in the case of city states, seems it doesn't let you access them. But it all works fine when starting a new game.

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. It is useful to know these things. Overall, I am very impressed with the editor, he's clearly changed it and perfected it at least 39 times. Anyone know if there is a way to extract the map from a saved file, or a mod to change what civ is the player? I don't have access to the world builder so anytime I make a custom map using this editor, it's only good for the one game.

One of the game's standard built-in menu-items is a Save Map function.
  • It's a button in the save game menu
  • It only saves the current state of the base map: terrain, rivers, features as they are present at the instant of the save. It does not save the state of units, improvements, cities, roads, etc., as I recall.

And yes, once a city is founded on a plot, the game does not very well deal with any changes to the underlying terrain/resources/features/elevation of the city-plot. It's a limitation with the game engine rather than anything not quite correct with IGE.

If you are running off a PC you can download the SDK from Steam, which will allow you to access and use WorldBuilder. If using a Mac, well, erm.

Last edited:
I have encountered a problem that has me completely baffled. By accident, I attempted to buy an Inquisitor through the editor, on a save after I had just entered the renaisance, and thus didn't have the faith. I got an error message saying I didn't have enough faith to buy it. Okay, I thought. No problem.

A few turns later I discover that the Iquisitor doesn't even appear greyed out in any city. No city can buy iquisitors at all, even though I had the correct faith a few turns later. So of course I went back to autosaves before I tried buying it with the editor. No luck, it's completely greyed out there too. Even as far back as 60 turns ago, still greyed out. No matter how far I go, I can NEVER EVER buy Iquisitors ever again...

I tried going back to the main menu. I tried restarting. I tried all of these saves in regular play without the editor. No good. So I started to worry it corrupted the game somehow, so that I can NEVER EVER buy an Iqusitor ever again, in any game I ever play. NOT SO.

This was a second game I was doing testing my map. I had made it to turn 652, whereas this bug is occurring on alternate save of the same game 366. Here it is possible to buy an Iquisitor. It is also possible on turn 412, before the Industrial age. (One difference is that the old game the religion was enhanced, though not with anything specificly affecting missionaries and inquisitors)

I went back to the current saves, and bought a missionary when I had 900 faith 2 turns later. In the editor I was trying to make the inquisitor appear in a specific city. I just happened to still be in the editor. After buying the missionary, I notice it is no longer possible to buy missionaries or inquisitors in that city. Not greyed out, just gone, completely disappear. It is still possible to buy missionaries in other cities, but if I buy one it's gone from that city too.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't see where loading the turn before I tried to buy the Inquisitor couldn't resolve this, or why in the other saves it isn't a problem, or why it isn't resolved even going back 60+ turns earlier. So I'm just going to play the rest of the game with the editor on, and I won't even use religious units. I'll just edit what I want in the city menu specifically.

This entire game I'm playing right now is permanently bugged, due to my trying to buy one inquisitor when I couldn't, at one specific time, during one specific save. For all I know, if I start a new game, and found that same religion, it'll be bugged there too. I don't understand the problem, what is going on, or what is fixing the problem. It isn't advancing to a different era. The saves I tried were before renaisance and well before the error occured.

So I played it a bunch of turns later, and got a prophet, indeed once the religion was enhanced the problem was resolved. I haven't tested whether this problem will persist when the religion is founded on a new game. It might. So I guess I'm just going to completely reinstall everything.

If I was a moderator here, I would edit the first page of this thread with the following disclaimer:

BE VERY CAREFUL USING IN GAME EDITOR. ONE MISTAKE AND YOU MIGHT HAVE TO COMPLETELY REINSTALL EVERYTHING.

Okay, I went back to a very old save, before I founded the religion. Same religion, default name instead of different name, different beliefs. And guess what, Can't ever buy inquisitors. Can still buy more missionaries, but that religion can never ever buy inquisitors until it is enhanced.

I setup a new game in the editor, and sure enough, founding that religion it is impossible to buy inquisitors. So that religion is permanently screwed in every single I ever play because of this stupid editor not being programmed correctly. I mean, I wasn't expecting it to rewrite the core game files. Surely there are ways to spawn a religious unit without doing such a thing.

I don't know where on my PC the unpacked Civ V exists, if I still even have it. Might've been on a USB. At present, I am NOT going to be uninstalling and reinstalling. I just have to live with this. If I ever play a game using that religion, I'll just have to use the editor. When the AI uses the religion, too bad. No Inquisitors till you enhance it. Fortunately, it is one of the lesser used ones.

I am very disappointed this editor mod is capable of this level of bug. I can tell you that, from now on, I'm not going to ever use this editor for religious units, or for any other feature I haven't already tried with it.

Last edited:
No need to reinstall, just use Steam to verify the game - it will update any base games files that are different from the ones Firaxis ship

Thank you for the suggestion, I hadn't considered that.

Also thank you to the other poster above who pointed me to the Save Map feature.
First time I've ever used it, so I forgot that it was there.

Because of this, I am hard at work as a "Great Map Maker"
And I will a number of interesting designs to share.

IGE does not affect core game files in any way whatever, but can corrupt a save game file if you attempt something that is not allowed by the game's own rules. The IGE interface for Missionaries and Inquisitors even has a tooltip warning about problems re using IGE to give yourself or otherwise attempt to acquire Missionaries and Inquisitors from within the IGE interface.

Not being able to get Inquisitors until a religion has been enhanced is standard game behavior. So far as that issue goes, there's nothing IGE would be altering from the standard game-behavior.

Code:
		<Replace>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_INQUISITOR</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_INQUISITOR</Type>
			<Cost>-1</Cost>
			<FaithCost>200</FaithCost>
			<Moves>3</Moves>
			<CivilianAttackPriority>CIVILIAN_ATTACK_PRIORITY_LOW</CivilianAttackPriority>
			<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
			<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_INQUISITOR</DefaultUnitAI>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_INQUISITOR</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_INQUISITOR_TEXT</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_INQUISITOR_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_UNIT_HELP_INQUISITOR</Help>
			<RequiresEnhancedReligion>true</RequiresEnhancedReligion>
			<AdvancedStartCost>-1</AdvancedStartCost>
			<CombatLimit>0</CombatLimit>
			<ReligiousStrength>1250</ReligiousStrength>
			<RemoveHeresy>true</RemoveHeresy>
			<ProhibitsSpread>true</ProhibitsSpread>
			<UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_INQUISITOR</UnitArtInfo>
			<UnitFlagAtlas>EXPANSION_UNIT_FLAG_ATLAS</UnitFlagAtlas>
			<UnitFlagIconOffset>17</UnitFlagIconOffset>
			<IconAtlas>EXPANSION_UNIT_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>17</PortraitIndex>
		</Replace>
The important part re Inquisitors is
Code:
<RequiresEnhancedReligion>true</RequiresEnhancedReligion>
Diddling with the game's religion system via lua methods and having it backfire in terms of corrupted saves is not anything directly steming from IGE: it is an issue in the way that the religion system is simply not adaptable in any fundamental way by the manner in which it is coded into the game's core DLL file(s). I've had any number of borked games from attempting to execute lua religion-related commands when the correct conditions to execute those commands were not already inherently allowed by the status of the game-in-progress.

Never by any lua method create any religious units except for Great Prophets directly from any lua method -- it will cause any number of corruptions of the game-in-progress, whether done via IGE (which is a mod that accomplishes the desired effects from lua methods) or any other mod. Give yourself Faith "score" only -- and then live with what the game's base-code wants to allow you to do with that Faith based on whether you've founded a religion, enhanced a religion, chosen a particular belief, etc.

I've found that most corruptions to a game-in-progress occur far earlier than the average user realizes or is even aware of -- lua methods that cause direct religion-related effects can cause the corruption dozens or hundreds of turns earlier than the apparent menifestation of the corruption.

Last edited:
Top Bottom