Installing Civ V and G&K in parallel

jango76

Chieftain
I know you need base CivV to be able to install G&K. My question is: does G&K install right over CivV, so that after installing the expansion you can only play G&K? Or will there be a way to choose "original Civ V" or "G&K" each game?
:confused:

fuzzatron717

Holy Warrior
I don't but I hope you choose which one cause sometimes I might for some odd reason one day want to play the original. Same thing might with a second expansion I might want to play gods and kings.

CivCube

Spicy.
You'll probably be able to choose the original executable in the Steamapps folder.

fuzzatron717

Holy Warrior
Thank God Sir! Thank God!

Atlas627

Deity
I think it will overlay, because Steam is counting it as DLC. That being said, there will probably be an option to load the base game in either the pre-game popup menu (that asks for DirectX settings) or in the Main Menu.

There will almost certainly be a way to play the base game. And it will probably be easy and simple. But the 'behind the scenes' work to put all the right files in the right spots is probably complicated, so hopefully we don't have to do it manually.

comatosedragon

Emperor
That's a good question. If history is any indication, we will be able to chose to play the 'vanilla' version if desired. With BtS one could still play Warlords or vanilla Civ IV, and IIRC; one could also play vanilla Civ III after installing Conquests.

RonMar

Warlord
G&K will be listed in your Steam library as a separate game. DLC simply refers to Dowloaded Content. Expansions are separate games but downloaded. I do not expect it to be listed in the usual DLC list, but in the game list.

I pre-ordered and it is listed as a separate game (although it requires vanilla Civ V).

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
G&K will NOT be listed seperately.. for many reasons

A. God and Kings achievements are listed under the vanilla game
B. My pre-order via Steam game is listed as Civ V God and Kings Pre-Order without a single button. screenshot, news etc.

Besides, all of Civ's expansion packs were always packed on top of each other rather than standalone.. I'm assuming ALL of the files will be put under the "EP1" folder or "Godandkings" folder in the main Civ 5 folder.

I guess I can ask Greg about it, I'm sure he can answer an easy question.

fuzzatron717

Holy Warrior
I better ask before gods and kings comes out where do you download it? This is my first computer expansion before I found civ 5 I was always on ps3 so yeah civrev to civ 5 and all but anyway.

fuzzatron717

Holy Warrior
I do I pre-ordered a couple days ago.

Alone

Emperor
This is all crazy, if you ask me. Why they just simply not sell game old fashion way. You buy disc you install it you play the way you want and the version you want.
I understand this is the trand. But is the one that I dislike so much. For example I am willing to pay the double or triple price for game, expansion just let me OWN my copy not lease it (the way it works now).

I do not like new traiding post graphic. And now I will be forced to play with one, because I can not choose if I want to play with old or new patch. That is silly. Really:mad:

If it is true wat Oz is writing seems like I will be forced to play G&K if I purchesed it even if I do not like it after I tried it. Allthought RonMar claiming completly oposite of that, so I'm not sure what is the truth:crazyeye:

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
This is all crazy, if you ask me. Why they just simply not sell game old fashion way. You buy disc you install it you play the way you want and the version you want.
I understand this is the trand. But is the one that I dislike so much. For example I am willing to pay the double or triple price for game, expansion just let me OWN my copy not lease it (the way it works now).

I do not like new traiding post graphic. And now I will be forced to play with one, because I can not choose if I want to play with old or new patch. That is silly. Really:mad:

If it is true wat Oz is writing seems like I will be forced to play G&K if I purchesed it even if I do not like it after I tried it. Allthought RonMar claiming completly oposite of that, so I'm not sure what is the truth:crazyeye:

I've never purchased an expansion pack, so my opinion is rather biased and is a pure assumption.

Besides, i can't even purchase a phyiscal copy anymore, the only proper GAME store I know closed down!!! the other one sells nothing but stupid console games and I don't think any of the supermarkets (like the toy stores) even sell those games.

Alone

Emperor
I've never purchased an expansion pack, so my opinion is rather biased and is a pure assumption.

Besides, i can't even purchase a phyiscal copy anymore, the only proper GAME store I know closed down!!! the other one sells nothing but stupid console games and I don't think any of the supermarkets (like the toy stores) even sell those games.

No offence meant TheKingOfBigOz, I am just very frustrating.
I said to my self many times I should stop but somehow I get hooked over again.
This time I think is just the right time to give up.
Reading a good book or going out into the nature is as good and even better, for me.

albie_123

Modding In Secret
That's what mods are for?

Also, you do own a game you purchase from Steam for all intents and purposes. You can play on as many computers as you wish, modify the game, play it offline, etc.

You, (or someone else) could mod it back.
You could uninstall it.

RonMar

Warlord
Just after preorder G&K was listed separately in my game library. As people have now said, it has been listed in the DLC content under Civ V.

What I said was true based on what I saw at the time, but the DLC listing is where it is now.

Top Bottom