Installing FfH2 on Vista

Zaklog

Chieftain
I'm trying to run FfH2 on Vista. I previously installed and played this from an XP system and had no problem. (Is it my imagination, or does Vista make everything 3 times more complicated than necessary?) In any case, I'm running into problems.

I think part of the problem may stem from the difference between the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders, but I'm not sure. A Firaxis folder with Civilization 4 exists in both of these, but Beyond the Sword only appears in the (x86) folder. It looks like the FfH2 installer wants to direct to "Program Files", but I told it to install in the other directory.

Having completed the installation, I ran Beyond the Sword. FfH2 appears in mods. When I attempt to run it (Advanced -> Load a Mod -> Fall From Heaven 2) the game attempts to restart, but then I get a message that Beyond the Sword has stopped working.

When I attempt to run directly from the shortcut in the FfH2 folder inside the Mods folder, it asks me to put the DVD in the drive. The DVD for BtS is already in the drive (and I understand that 3.19 makes this unnecessary anyway). I think it may be looking for the regular Civ 4 disc, but I don't understand why.

Finally, when I attempt to run the FfH2 O patch, it tells me that I don't have FfH2 installed.

I have no idea what the **** is going on here, and I'd just like to get this thing working. WTF is wrong with Vista anyway?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you may have two installs of the game on your computer, or that you may have installed the game to one location and then FfH2 to another location. Also, you may be having problems related to Windows' User Account Control (UAC). I would strongly encourage you to completely uninstall FfH2 and Civ4, and then reinstall them to a custom directory not in either your "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders. For example, create a folder called "Games" on "C:" and then install Civ4 into "C:\Games".

If you need assistance with the process of uninstalling or reinstalling, you can refer to my guide How to Install FfH2.

Top Bottom