• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Installing problems

shal5

Chieftain
Hi, I just downloaded C2C, but when I load the mod, I get the normal bts screen, and no new content is installed. I use the Civ 4 complete edition on a windows 7 acer, and the only other modification of the game I've made is the BUG mod.

You wouldn't want to tack this onto the Bug mod as it comes with bug already. You DO need to upgrade your civ bts version to v3.19 before installing caveman2cosmos in the bts mods folder.

You wouldn't want to tack this onto the Bug mod as it comes with bug already. You DO need to upgrade your civ bts version to v3.19 before installing caveman2cosmos in the bts mods folder.

So is it a problem that I have the BUG mod installed in vanilla bts?
Oh, and my game is up to 3.19 already.

I read somewhere that there is a registry modification needed to use c2c with CIV4 Complete. Not sure if that is still applicable.

Did you unzip the download with 7zip and move the unzipped folder to the right file?

I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't even show up on your mods list.

If/when you do get it working I suggest looking at the instructions for making a CivilizationIVC2C.ini file and a dedicated short cut.

Look in the thread called "Caveman 2 Cosmos", post 6, question 1. Check the link there, and that *should* help you fix your problem.

One other thing to check though. In your MODS folder, if the folder for "Caveman2Cosmos" contains only one folder also called "Caveman2Cosmos" in which is the mod, then that is your problem. There should be only one step, not two.

So is it a problem that I have the BUG mod installed in vanilla bts?

I'm not sure, but I've heard it causes problems with other mods that have it built-in. I don't really see any reason to install BUG/BULL/BUFFY (or DCM) separately anyway.

On-topic, though, it shouldn't be causing the problems you are having. Yours is more fundamental, possibly due to Civ4 "complete" requiring mods to be installed differently. Most people need to install mods to Civ4\BTS\mods (paraphrased, the exact name is of course different), but it is possible that "complete" needs it in the documents\mygames\bts\mods folder. In any event, it should NOT be in the civ4\mods folder.

Look in the thread called "Caveman 2 Cosmos", post 6, question 1. Check the link there, and that *should* help you fix your problem.

One other thing to check though. In your MODS folder, if the folder for "Caveman2Cosmos" contains only one folder also called "Caveman2Cosmos" in which is the mod, then that is your problem. There should be only one step, not two.

What I get is the normal title screen for bts, and there's written caveman 2 cosmos in the right hand top corner on the screen, other than that it's identical to bts..

There's missing pictures in the link, so I don't really know what to do. Could anyone put up some new pictures?

It sounds like you may have a shell folder which the mod is fully within. If you enter the Caveman2Cosmos folder from the Beyond the Sword->Mods folder, you see another Caveman2Cosmos folder inside that one and no other files, right? You then need to take that first layer out.
If the above is true:
1) Rename the initial Caveman2Cosmos folder (to anything).
2) go into that folder and cut the Caveman2Cosmos folder in there.
3) go back to the Mods folder and Past the Cut folder there.
4) Delete the renamed folder.

Then you should be fine.

It sounds like you may have a shell folder which the mod is fully within. If you enter the Caveman2Cosmos folder from the Beyond the Sword->Mods folder, you see another Caveman2Cosmos folder inside that one and no other files, right? You then need to take that first layer out.
If the above is true:
1) Rename the initial Caveman2Cosmos folder (to anything).
2) go into that folder and cut the Caveman2Cosmos folder in there.
3) go back to the Mods folder and Past the Cut folder there.
4) Delete the renamed folder.

Then you should be fine.

I already checked that, so it appears that I don't have a shell folder.
But after looking through the files, it appears that all the C2C files are empty.. Any reason why that's a problem?

I already checked that, so it appears that I don't have a shell folder.
But after looking through the files, it appears that all the C2C files are empty.. Any reason why that's a problem?

That would sound like whatever you used to extract the archive didn't work, creating only the filenames but not extracting any of the actual data. Did you use 7zip?

That would sound like whatever you used to extract the archive didn't work, creating only the filenames but not extracting any of the actual data. Did you use 7zip?

I changed to 7-zip, and it worked, although I only got parts if the mod. The new title screen were missing, but the title music were still playing. Anyone got an idea what this could be?

I changed to 7-zip, and it worked, although I only got parts if the mod. The new title screen were missing, but the title music were still playing. Anyone got an idea what this could be?

The mod was uploaded in 7z format, so I'm assuming that if you just now tried to use 7zip you didn't get it from ModDB (or one of their mirrors). Where did you download from?

EDIT---I just realized that you have to change the title screen in the main game options as well to see it (I forget what it is supposed to be set to).

Okay, it's installed.
But when I start a game I Get tons of XML errors, any solution to this?

Do you happen to have the 'Lock Modified Assets' option checked? If so uncheck it.

I ran into this myself when I wanted to try a game without having access to the world builder. I was going to use it as a 'fun' only game and not even have the ability to check for errors and stuff and thereby inadvertantly cheat.

Turns out C2C will not run with that option on. If possibly it should be grayed out or at the very least have a hover text change to say 'don't use with c2c mod'. Since it is a base Civ4 option, I don't know if the modders can do that though.

Can't work well with Lock Modified Assets? I think I heard that elsewhere. Alright then, I'll have that turned off and hidden in my next update.

Top Bottom