Installing under Windows 7

Error: Not a valid civ Scenario file.
This error is usually (often? always?) generated if someone tries to use an earlier version of the Editor (3 versions were released, one for each successive version of Civ3*) to load a ruleset file-type generated by a later version (there are 3 ruleset-formats, .bic, .bix and .biq: again, one for each successive version of the game/ Editor).

The names and default-locations of 3 Civ3 Editor .exe files are (from memory):

.../[Civilization III]/Civilization3Edit.exe => opens and saves only the .bic format (for use with 'vanilla' Civ3 v.1.29)
.../[Civilization III]/Civ3PTW/Civilization3XEdit.exe => can open .bic and .bix formats, but saves only in the .bix format (for use with PTW v.1.27)
.../[Civilization III]/Conquests/Civ3ConqestsEdit.exe => can open .bic, .bix, and .biq formats, but saves only in the .biq format (for use with Conquests/Complete v.1.22)

(The GamersGate and GOG version supply all 3 Editor-versions — I don't know about the Steam version.)

So my question would be, are you sure you were using the right Editor to re-open your .biq file?

Spoiler * :
Just to add another wrinkle, there were 2 versions of the Conquests Editor (v.1.00, and v.1.03); the latter was released with the final patch of the conquests.exe (v.1.22) — but managed to break the 'Scientific Leaders' option :rolleyes:

Although .biq files generated in the v.1.00 Conquests-Editor should be forwards-compatible with v.1.03, I wouldn't swear that that was the case. So if your mod was an old file, that might also be a possible cause of this error-message/problem.

Oh sorry, I think I may have said civ3edit when I meant civ3conquests edit.

I did get the steam version but I was using on my windows 7 desktop was cd. Didn't catch whether the conquests editor was 1.00 or 1.03. The biq file was just made this a week ago, but, I did use maptweaker to add rules to the biq from a probably 2005 file.

And yet Ive open, saved, and been working with the file for the past week and this is the first issue.

I also installed Civ3 on windows7 and it runs smoothly. But after installing the game, an error has occurred in my AOL mail account. I couldn't log in to my account but I resolved the AOL mail error after visiting many websites. But the new problem is when I wanted to start Civ3, it redirected to FIFA. I don't know how to resolve the problem. Can anybody help me to get rid of this problem?

The link in the post above was blocked by my Kaspersky antivirus program as a dangerous website.

Attachments

• Kaspersky.jpg
    Kaspersky.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 458
I was only patient enough to read through three pages of responses to see if my problem was addressed...but didn't find it and skipped to just posting to ask.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, and I installed Civ 3 Complete on it, saving the files in a different location, running the setup app in XP 3 compatibility mode, and run as administrator. It appears to have installed completely without any hitches. However, now, I try to start the game - that is, I click on the desktop icon - and I always get the notice "Please login with administrator privileges and try again." What else to I need to do to be able to play? I tried logging in as administrator to see if that would do it, and it didn't work either, except I didn't get that popup - just nothing happens when I click on the icon.

I am dumb when it comes to computers...the only thing I can think is, since I have the complete edition (i.e. 3 CD set), maybe I was supposed to set XP compatibility/run as administrator manually for the 2nd and 3rd as well, and that is related to why I am getting this administrator hangup when I try to play? I don't know. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

@Charles AS You need to alter registry permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III (in fact, on the "Infogrames Interactive" subkey, as it holds a subkey per each patch and might address each of them) by using regedit.exe launched as admin, allow the group "Users" to "Full control". Civ3 was created while there was no XP and the majority of people played under Win98, this means games were saving registry in HKLM and were unaware of permissions, so installing under a later Windows version needs to take care of that.

Also please check permissions on the game files where you have installed them, "Users" should be able to "Change" files in there, because the game alters its own .ini during save/exit at the very least.

I am dumb when it comes to computers...the only thing I can think is, since I have the complete edition (i.e. 3 CD set), maybe I was supposed to set XP compatibility/run as administrator manually for the 2nd and 3rd as well, and that is related to why I am getting this administrator hangup when I try to play? I don't know. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Depending on which CD-version of Complete you're trying to install and run, you may be encountering the problem (dating from September 2015) caused by a Microsoft Windows security-update, which disabled the secdrv.sys function on all Windows versions after WinXP.

This update had the (intended?) consequence of preventing CDs using SecuROM/ SafeDisk copy-protection from being recognised/authorised, and hence legitimate CD-based installations of such copy-protected games are (now) also prevented from running. The update can be uninstalled/ rolled back for WinVista to Win8.1 (but not for Win10). Details are in the following thread, along with some possible workarounds:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-3-windows-update-kb3086255-safedisc.552308/

Top Bottom