Installing under Windows 7

I run Win 7 Home and cannot get Vanilla Civ III to run. I followed the directions per the video "Install Civilization III Conquests on Windows 7 or Vista" Can anyone help?

When I click on the icon to run the program I get a message asking me if I want the exe. program to make changes to my computer. Nothing happens after I click either yes or no. When I insert the disk the initial menu pops up asking if I want to play. If I hit yes the same exe. permission window pops up and does nothing if I hit yea or nay.

I run Win 7 Home and cannot get Vanilla Civ III to run. I followed the directions per the video "Install Civilization III Conquests on Windows 7 or Vista" Can anyone help?

When I click on the icon to run the program I get a message asking me if I want the exe. program to make changes to my computer. Nothing happens after I click either yes or no. When I insert the disk the initial menu pops up asking if I want to play. If I hit yes the same exe. permission window pops up and does nothing if I hit yea or nay.
The boldface part is most likely your problem. Microsoft rolled out a security-update recently (mid-September) which disables the SecuROM driver in Win7 onwards, so any CD-ROMs using this anti-piracy tech will no longer work. Read all about it here

There are several possible things you can do to fix this:
  1. If you have the knowhow, you can uninstall this security update in Win7, and refuse to reinstall it in future (NB not possible to do this in Win10) -- but this will leave your machine with a potential security-hole (another one, anyway -- after all, you're still running Windows...) ;)
  2. Or you can patch your existing C3C-installation with a 'No-CD' patch, so the game won't look for the CD anymore. There are various threads here at CFC directing people to a legal/official Firaxis-issued no-CD patch
  3. Or you can repurchase a download-version of Civ3Complete from e.g. Steam or GamersGate (I would recommend the GG rather than the Steam version)

I'm about to give up. I have windows 7 home 64 bit and after doing everything in the first post, it will not run, it will not start, it does nothing. I changed the compatibility setting from xp service pack 3 to 2, that did not work. I unchecked the run as administrator box, that did not work. I uninstalled the game completely, reinstalled, NOTHING. I tried changing the folder location when I reinstalled it, that didn't work either.

Everything installed, Vanilla, PTW, C3C, patches for all 3....but it simply will not run. it will not run any version no matter what settings I change, the folder location...nothing.

I'm about to give up. I have windows 7 home 64 bit and after doing everything in the first post, it will not run, it will not start, it does nothing. I changed the compatibility setting from xp service pack 3 to 2, that did not work. I unchecked the run as administrator box, that did not work. I uninstalled the game completely, reinstalled, NOTHING. I tried changing the folder location when I reinstalled it, that didn't work either.

Everything installed, Vanilla, PTW, C3C, patches for all 3....but it simply will not run. it will not run any version no matter what settings I change, the folder location...nothing.
The first post in this thread was made in 2009, when Win7 was new; it has been updated multiple times since then.

For a link to the thread about one of the most recent security updates, see my post directly above yours. Assuming you are trying to install from disk, it would appear from your description that you own one of the versions affected by that update. Although you may still be able to install the game(s) from such disks, you will no longer be able to run it without further interference. You therefore have several options, as also described briefly in my post (and more fully in the linked thread).

Re. option (3):

Note that the Steam and GamersGate download-versions should rather be named 'Civ3InComplete': AFAIK, Steam (still) does not include a Vanilla .exe, the Vanilla .exe included by GG is still attached to a secdrv.sys-based DRM (i.e. it now needs a NoCD-patch under Win7 onwards), and neither version (yet) includes a PTW .exe.

Also, I recently learned that there are also at least 3 disk-based versions of Civ3Complete out there which apparently do not use SecuROM, so will still run under Win7 onwards: the 'silver-box' version published by Firaxis/2K, the 'GreenPepper' version published in Germany (not sure about elsewhere), and the version included in Civilization Chronicles (includes CivI up to Civ IV).

Whichever option you choose to take, you should not install Civ3 anywhere in the protected C:\ProgramFiles\ directory.

I uninstalled the Windows Security Update KB3086255 that prevented the game from even loading. I tried playing a game, when it tried to load a game, it crashed. I tried again, it now works. However on one of the adviser screens, the font looks pink/purple. I don't think I see that anywhere else so I'm confused what would cause that. The game seems to work so I'm gonna play and see what happens.

I put it in it's own folder, not in the programs x86 location as it defaults to initially.

However on one of the adviser screens, the font looks pink/purple. I don't think I see that anywhere else so I'm confused what would cause that.
I get that as well, at least in Conquests, and we're not the only ones.

I think it might have something to do with a Firaxis-made fix/ bodge for the old LSans font problem (as referred to in this thread), or possibly it's a distortion-effect of running Civ3 in my monitor's native resolution ('KeepRes=1' inserted in the .ini file, in my case 1650 x 1080 -- the advisor-screens were originally designed to display at 1024 x 768). Either way, since the game is otherwise running fine as is, I've never been concerned enough about this effect to bother investigating/ fixing it.

What I would like to fix in my installation, is the fact that 9 times out of 10 right-clicks on a unit(-stack) opens up the 'Terrain-info' box, instead of the pull-down menu. I haven't seen anyone mention this problem before, but it's irritating as hell. Actually, I think I'll go and post a Newbie question about it right now...

Everyone, first let me start off by saying I haven't been on this site in YEARS.

I tried to install CIV III on WIN 7 Home Premium without success tonight. This is the original Complete Gold Edition that came in the tin box WAY back when...anyways. The install failed, but thanks to this topic, i was able to troubleshoot the issue in 30 mins!

Special thanks to Post #28 and #145! If you are installing from old disks on WIN 7 with updated security patches, check out both those posts to save time and energy.

Have a good one all!

~Ctlbulldg06

I echo this poster from recent months. I battled for an hour to get C3C working on my W7 machine. Thanks to the wisdom posted in this thread, I got it to work. Don't know if I'll have the save problem, don't know what the future holds, I just know that I no longer get a little busy circle and then nothing. The game loads up. Thank you all.

Everyone, first let me start off by saying I haven't been on this site in YEARS.

I tried to install CIV III on WIN 7 Home Premium without success tonight. This is the original Complete Gold Edition that came in the tin box WAY back when...anyways. The install failed, but thanks to this topic, i was able to troubleshoot the issue in 30 mins!

Special thanks to Post #28 and #145! If you are installing from old disks on WIN 7 with updated security patches, check out both those posts to save time and energy.

Have a good one all!

~Ctlbulldg06

6 Hours deep. No luck.

Little busy circle and then nothing.

Old Cds: I've reinstalled civ3, PtW, then Conquests, to C:/infrogrames Interactive/Civilization III
Windows 7 Home Edition (((was initially installed under programs filesx86)

Can't locate the Windows Security Update KB3086255 so I typed this horsehocky into the Elevated Command Prompt:
sc config secdrv start= disabled

I've tried also compatibility mode (xp service pack 2 and 3)

And I don't always run exe's but when I do, it's with admin privileges...

Who th efudg still plays civ3 and has any ideas?

Who th e**** still plays civ3 and has any ideas?
Did you look at this thread already?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=552308

The TLDR:

Rather than faffing around with repeatedly (un)installing security updates to try and get the CD-version to run, the simplest solution would likely be to buy a DL version of Civ3. It's (now, still, last time I looked) available at GOG, GamersGate, and Steam, usually for about 5 [bux] — although I've seen that price drop by 75% during sales.

If you already have a Steam account anyway, then you might as well get it from them; and if you want to play MP-games, then only the Steam or GamersGate packages allow this. But if you're not already on Steam, and/or only interested in solo-games, then I'd recommend the GOG-package, because it doesn't require you to also install Steam's client (it doesn't even require you to install GOG's client.

If you don't want to re-buy the game (understandable), then the next best option would be to locate and DL a (legitimate!) NoCD-version of the conquests.exe file. The German PCGames Magazine-site linked in the above thread has (last time I looked) an official 'Patchpaket' supplied by Firaxis, and (IIRC) contains both a civilization3.exe (Vanilla, last patch, v.1.29) and a conquests.exe (Conquests/Complete, v.1.22); though unfortunately it no longer includes a civilization3X.exe (PTW).

When you've lost all hope, consider buying an old XP machine and using it as your dedicated CivIII box. For less than a hundred bucks, it could save you hours of aggravation. Some browsers will still work if you need to upload utilities, etc.

Thanks fo responses guys.

I'd gladly buy a version if it'd work. Steam scares me tho. I never used it before. Don't I always have to be online for it to work? Will it work with mods? Wont they hack into my computer and sodomize my cat?

I found it for 1.24$ at gamestop.com. would that work too?

(Btw, yes, read the kb806255 security update thread. I did actually find that particular security update and delete it. The search function was behaving very slowly so I looked manually for it among the updates and didnt see it. After leaving the computer alone for a half hour the search function finally located kb806255 for me and I deleted the horsehocky out of it
Reinstalling and we'll see if that works...)

Now Im not going through this again on my laptop. So... does the gamestop\steam dl version of complete work with mods?

When you've lost all hope, consider buying an old XP machine and using it as your dedicated CivIII box...
This is exactly what I did. :goodjob::goodjob:
I bought an old Dell XP desktop and an old Dell XP laptop. I am using them as Civ 3 HOF dedicated machines, including Civ 3 utilities such as MapFinder/CivAssist II/Crpmapstat/Crpviewer/Civ3DateScoreCalcs.........In fact, right now I'm chasing your HOF Emperor-level/Huge Map 44,421 High Score, Donny Brook! :lol:

Last edited:
I'd gladly buy a version if it'd work. Steam scares me tho. I never used it before. Don't I always have to be online for it to work? Will it work with mods? Wont they hack into my computer and sodomize my cat?
:lol:

IIRC, the Steam-client 'needs' to be able to phone home on a regular basis, to verify that only the authorised owner is playing a purchased game. In theory you can play in offline mode, and also only download 'patches' and 'improvements' at your own discretion -- if you can figure out where to activate those settings.
Spoiler My sad Steam story :
I couldn't, so I don't use Steam anymore.

I only ever bought Half-Life and its expansions from Steam, and I played them all through a couple of times. But then Steam eventually pushed an 'essential performance update' at me which made the games completely unplayable (framerate dropped to about 1 fps), and I never did figure out what they'd done, or how to roll it back (and their 'customer helpdesk' sucked a donkey's dong). So I never bought anything else from them.

When I was looking to buy Conquests/Complete, GOG didn't offer it yet, so I went with GamersGate. But this was before they updated their package to use Steam.
But if you don't like the idea of giving some unaccountable corporation unfettered access to your comp, then you should definitely avoid Steam. That's why I recommended www.GOG.com instead.
I found it for 1.24$ at gamestop.com. would that work too?
I don't know anything about the gamestop package, so you'd need to check the fine print. If it says you have to install Steam, then it's not substantially different from the Steam-version.
Now Im not going through this again on my laptop. So... does the gamestop\steam dl version of complete work with mods?
In general, kinda sorta...

BUT... if a given Civ3 mod was not deliberately designed with the Steam-version in mind (and most of the best ones aren't, because they were made long before Steam started hosting MP-games), then you may/will need to adjust the mod's 'labels.txt' file, inserting the line 'Unknown' between the lines 'Host' and 'Ping'. If this isn't done, then all the text-labels (on GUI-buttons, and so on) get shifted out of place, and the mod will usually crash sooner or later.

The best Civ3 mod-makers (shoutout here to @Civinator, @AnthonyBoscia, @Vuldacon, @Lord Malbeth and @Nathiri! :thumbsup: ) will generally provide 2 versions of their mods' labels.txt files: one for non-Steam players, and the other for Steam-players.

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of giving Steam even a whiff of my dogs poo, but I bought the gamestop version which turnsout is the steam civ3 complete. Thanks I will check out that gog site version. That sells a regular no-dvd version of civ3complete?

Oh thats not so hard I can edit one text file. Yeah the mod I was looking to play was something I made some 13 years ago. And oh no, my fan has been clamoring for the update..

Thanks for your help tho

Oh btw, I think I heard someone mention this before but on the tech tree/nerd science advisor giberish pink text is showing up. Dont remember having that issue last decade. I think someone mention the pink text in one of the threads about windows 7 and civIII not playing nice. Any fix?

It would help with problem-diagnosis, if you posted a screenshot of exactly what you mean by 'giberish pink text'.
Spoiler Possibly unnecessary instructions :
Press the 'Print screen' key (PrntScr) on your keyboard
Open up MSPain(t)
Press Ctrl-V to dump the screenshot into a new picture
Save the image (e.g. to your desktop)
Then when you make your post use the 'Upload file' button, browse to where you saved the screenshot, and select it.
If you're seeing wrong text labels everywhere, that's most likely the Steam-induced labels.txt problem described in my post above.

Pink/purple text is, I think, a configuration or graphics-driver problem (which I also have). But I don't know how to fix it, sorry.

Sorry, didnt get the alert on this one

I'll post a screen a little later. its only on the advisor screen that the pink text shows up, tho I havent played it yet still updating mod stuff.

On that note my computer crashed after dumping hours into a map revision. Now I'm getting this error whenever I try to load that biq file:

Error: Not a valid civ Scenario file.

Weird, case it didnt crash when it was saving. Editor Just happened to be open when the pc took a crap and not I guess the file is corrupted? I'm going to make a sepereate post about it, see if anyone knows a workaround.

Last edited:
Top Bottom