• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Intended Consequences

Bronx Warlord

Squad Leader
By Thomas Sowell

Over the years, the phrase “unintended consequences” has come up with increasing frequency, as more and more wonderful-sounding ideas have led to disastrous results. By now, you might think that people with wonderful-sounding ideas would start to question what the consequences would turn out to be—and would devote as much time to discovering those consequences as to getting their ideas accepted and turned into laws and policies. But that seldom, if ever, happens.

Why doesn’t it? Because a lot depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish. If your purpose is to achieve the heady feeling of being one of the moral elite, then that can be accomplished without the long and tedious work of following up on results.

The worldwide crusade to ban the pesticideDDT is a classic example. This crusade was begun by the much revered Rachel Carson, whose best-selling book The Silent Spring was based on the premise that DDT’s adverse effects on the eggs of song birds would end up wiping out these species. After that, springtime would no longer be marked by birds singing; hence the silent spring.

Rachel Carson and the environmentalists she inspired have succeeded in getting DDT banned in country after country, for which they have received the accolades of many, not least their own accolades. But, in terms of the actual consequences of that crusade, there has not been a mass murderer executed in the past half-century who has been responsible for as many deaths of human beings as the sainted Rachel Carson. The banning of DDT has led to a huge resurgence of malaria in the Third World, with deaths rising into the millions.

This pioneer of the environmental movement has not been judged by such consequences, but by the inspiring goals and political success of the movement she spawned. Still less are the environmentalists held responsible for the blackouts plaguing California, despite the key role of environmental extremists in preventing power plants from being built.

The greens have likewise obstructed access to the fuels needed to generate electricity, run automobiles and trucks, and perform innumerable other tasks in the economy. Nationwide, the greens have been so successful in preventing oil refineries from being built that the last one constructed anywhere in the United States was built during the Ford administration. But environmentalists are seldom mentioned among the reasons for today’s short supplies of oil and the resulting skyrocketing prices of gasoline.

Advocates of rent control are not judged by the housing shortages that invariably follow, but by their professed desire to promote “affordable housing” for all. Nor are those who have promoted price controls on food in various countries being judged by the hunger, malnutrition or even starvation that have followed. They are judged by their laudable goal of seeking to make food affordable by the poor—even if the poor end up with less food than before.

Some try to argue against the evidence for these and other counterproductive consequences of high-sounding policies. But what is crucial is that those who advocated such policies usually never bothered to seek evidence on their own—and have resented the evidence presented by others. In short, what they advocated had the intended consequences for themselves—making them feel good—and there was far less interest in the unintended consequences for others.

Even before the rise of today’s many social activist movements, T. S. Eliot understood such people and their priorities.

Writing in 1950, he said: “Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don’t mean to do harm—but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.”

There is little hope of changing such people. But what the rest of us can do is stop gullibly accepting their ego trips as idealistic efforts for others. Above all, we need to stop letting them morally intimidate us into silence about the actual consequences of their crusades. The time is long overdue for us to insist that they put up or shut up, in terms of hard evidence about results, rather than the pious hopes that make them feel so good.

Um.

Considering the fact that DDT had the problem of massively damaging the health of not only the environment, but also humans, due to higher concentrations being in higher parts of the food chain, I don't think that's really an applicable criticism. DDT continued to be in use would have far more disastrous consequences than not. Besides, those against environmentalist things are the types to deny that those consequences happen in the first place. Malaria not being solved is a matter of there not being research done to fix it as there is no Western demand to do it.

As for growth, it's not exactly a surprise that people with environmentalist concerns care more about things other than the mere growth of the economy. Most people do other than free market morons.

Edit: Oh, this is written by Thomas Sowell. :lol:

Unitended consequences are part of life.

Climate change (due to global dimming) is seen as at least partially responsible for millions of deaths in Africa (due to shifting climate patterns resulting in drought).

Those that promote GM crops & other quick fixes to mamimize food production is already overpopulated nations may be responsible for deaths in the billions in the coming century. All the while the Pope rallies against birth control.

The secular God of technology & "progress" shuns patience and forethought.

As for DDT & malaria, I don't know much about it. I'd be willing to venture that people don't get malaria because they're deficient in DDT (are there other ways to control Malaria? is DDT a sustainable solution, is Ms. Carson responsible for finding them, would anyone even have known to look, thus saving more lives, if not for her?). The main thing I got out of the Sowell essay (which I already knew but was merely reinforced) is that you can't seek to destroy something without helping the masses replace it with something superior. This holds whether it's a dangerous product or a dangerous belief. If you leave a void & use force to coerce people to stop (as opposed to offering a better way) you're much more likely to have negative unintended consequences.

It's dangerous to get caught up in fanciful dreams that sound perfect & simple. I've learned this plenty of times in real life. My sig sums up my views on the subject.

Old Chinese Fable said:
There was once a young man who came from a very poor family in China. When he was out for the day his horse ran away. On his return, the villagers ran to his father to express their sadness for this financial loss. "Isn't this terrible?" they wailed. The aged father shook his head from side to side and calmly stated, "Maybe good. Maybe bad."

On the following day, the lad went out to hunt for the missing steed and to his great joy he found a herd of wild horses and was able to bring them back to the village. The elated crowd ran to his father and exclaimed, "Isn't this wonderful news? What great fortune!" The sagelike elder again merely stated, "Maybe good. Maybe bad."

The next morning the boy went out into the corral to try to break in a horse for himself. In the process he was trampled and made lame. When the townspeople saw his ruined leg, they ran to his father to convey their grief. The reply was the same again, "Maybe good. Maybe bad."

A day or so later the Chinese army came to take all the able-bodied young men away to war.

Bravo on pinpointing the DDT and sidesteping the whole point of the essay.

Vietnam used a common sense approach rather than a rushed and poorly implimented change to another pesticide. Many more lives saved in a country that is not exactly working with a roomey budget.

I think the whole point of the essay was to highlight, using DDT as an example and one of several, that sometimes the choices we make for " the greater good " turn out not to be so " great " or " good " for some. In this case, a few million people.

Are we better off in the long run? considering our parents or for some of you grandparents were not part of that group of people no longer with us I think we can say yes. Did we condem many of them to death by not researching safer, more efficent products to use with a better, more efficent transition period to these " better " products? Well they are dead so that answers that.

But hey, stick to what you know best :)

How ******ed does one have to be to believe that it is possible to save human lives in any longer perspective, by destroying the ecological system we are part of?

Yeah, who needs birds anyway? Let us kill them off! Let us destroy the Sparrow, this Thief of our Grain!

What's your point in this thread Wario? I mean, it sounds like you have an opinion on how things should be done differently, why don't you share it?

Shorter Thomas Sowell:

With these anecdotes, I will prove that liberals do not use data to support their assertions.

Cleo

I'd hate to imagine what the world would be like without the environmentalist. We'd have to go through daily life breathing in choking amounts of pollution. There would a lot less biodiversity; fewer birds and not nearly enough bees to pollinate the crops. Fewer people would've died of malaria but more would've died from complications from asthma and cancer.

You know, DDT has never been actually been banned from malaria control. Most of the problems associated with DDT use stem specifically from its industrial-scale application in agriculture, rather than its use in public health. And that is where it was banned.

Using it in a limited manner, such as what the WHO endorsed, is completely different than what the problem was when it was banned.

And the same problems of using it as a pesticide exists just like any other - use it too much mosquitoes get resistance. DDT is already worthless in India, for example. And speaking of which, the ban on the agricultural use of DDT was in the US, not in third world countries. Since this is a US article. Speaking about "intended consequences" of American environmentalist groups. Last time I checked, we don't have malaria problems here in the US.

Bravo on pinpointing the DDT and sidesteping the whole point of the essay.
lol, you're the one who HIGHLIGHTED the passage on DDT. So you can't blame people for running w/ that. If you wanted people to focus on the "whole point" you should've highlighted that (whatever it is).

That said, I'm not expressing an opinion of agreement/disagreement with your article. I just find it funny that you got worked up over people focusing on the DDT aspect when you yourself drew that focus.

You know, DDT has never been actually been banned from malaria control.

Ahem. Then allow me to correct myself:

Shorter Thomas Sowell:

With this fabricated anecdote, I will prove that liberals do not use data to support their assertions.

Cleo

Bronx Warlord, what are the "intended consequences" that the author is referring to? It's looks more like "unintended".

I think his point, or at least the way I see is that a bit more planning and thought into things will prevent these " unintendeds " or at least mitigate them into acceptable " intended " consequences. Let's say the ban on DDT had been gradual, with more research put into safer products that would at least come closer to ( if not better, we are Americans dammit ;) ) the resaults of DDT without the long term effects on our eco-system. Could, and this is unheard of in this day and age, a compromise have come about that would have saved both lives and the enviroment?

I was presented this essay in a Philosophy study I am taking through corrispondance. It's made me look at this from a prespective that I would have discounted a few months back. The discussion with fellow students has been intresting and thought prevoking for sure. I applied my same logic to the invasion of Iraq for a good laugh. I figured I would put it on here, to see what happenes. I am not suprised at the hacks who see the name on it and automaticly close there eyes and put there fingers in there ears yelling " nahnah nana nahnah ", I even predicted a few of them would do that.

Mabey it's just the fecal filled air and raining here along with this altitude is making me a bit funny? Who knows?

ps - I am investing in screen doors and windows, paved roads and sewer systems for Afghanistan when I get home. It's a wide open market!

lol, you're the one who HIGHLIGHTED the passage on DDT. So you can't blame people for running w/ that. If you wanted people to focus on the "whole point" you should've highlighted that (whatever it is).

That said, I'm not expressing an opinion of agreement/disagreement with your article. I just find it funny that you got worked up over people focusing on the DDT aspect when you yourself drew that focus.

1 - I am not worked up. It's a conversation ( not a debait, though many including myself from time to time forget that ) over the internet about an intresting topic. I'm really intrested in what others think about this, rather than just pushing my own " agenda ". Then again... I would need an agenda to push. I'll put that on my things to do list asap!

Now then... I highlighted it because well... millions of people died. Mostly poor people and I know that does not account for much in the western world aside from Sally Struthers passing around the hat for the kids in Africa but hey... a few million is still pretty steep when you think about just how " worked up " people get over say... Oj's wife and her waiter friend? :)

Could this example... as well as a few million others, have been handled better? Mabey thats what I am really searching for and I am now just becoming aware of it! Bravo Civfanatics, something useful aside from discussions that never get anywere. I may have to do this more often.

Prove that.

Your location definately has some issues with rent control policey, imho for worse considering the cost of living there. I'm not suprised you noticed that.

Your location definately has some issues with rent control policey, imho for worse considering the cost of living there. I'm not suprised you noticed that.

SF does rent control well, I believe. New construction is exempt and once you move out rent control ceases nand the LL can charge whatever they want.

Check craigslist, there is no shortage of outrageously expensive apartments here.

Top Bottom