Interested in creating a map compatible for all eras

cboldt2

Chieftain
Hello everyone. I am an active Civilization 4 player since 2008. I came across the Caveman2Cosmos mod about a year ago and it is the best thing I ever played. I've finished the tech tree on the on the largest map on the longest time pace.

Besides from my intro, the reason I made this post is because when I played Caveman2Cosmos is that I noticed that there doesn't seem (to my knowledge) any maps that are built for all the eras for a single game play. I noticed that all of the maps are earth maps with no space.

The reason why I joined the Civ forum is to create a map that will allow the player to interact with world in a unique for every era. I plan to have:

> a large Earth (prehistoric era to the information era)
> a moon and cislunar space (information era to nanotech era)
> an inner and outer solar system with a sun (nanotech era)
> interstellar space with some planets (nanotech era to galactic era)
> some galaxies and the universe (galactic era to cosmic era)
> distant past, future tiles (Transcendent era)

I created some maps before in world builder, but never anything with any real thought put into them, let alone a map that would require an effort for a this mod pack. I'm wondering if there exists any tools to make maps for this mod besides in-game worldbuilder. Before I actually do design anything, I would like to hear some feedback. For instance, if maps like this already exist, tools to create maps, and any ideas I should also consider for my rough plan.

Thanks for reading to the end, and rule on my fellow Civ players.

The space maps here contain all the regions you have mentioned.
Unfortunately I do not know about any tool for map creation. But the maps saved in worldbuilder are just like .txt files, you can edit them in any text editor, e.g. the very recommended notepad++.

The space maps here contain all the regions you have mentioned.
Unfortunately I do not know about any tool for map creation. But the maps saved in worldbuilder are just like .txt files, you can edit them in any text editor, e.g. the very recommended notepad++.
Hi Snofru. I notice from your own thread that you have been working on some of your own space maps. That's really cool. Most of the maps you've created were either duel or standard size maps. Have you ever made a map on the largest setting possible?

Hi Snofru. I notice from your own thread that you have been working on some of your own space maps. That's really cool. Most of the maps you've created were either duel or standard size maps. Have you ever made a map on the largest setting possible?
Making space map with biggest Earth setting would be bit hard:
Maps can't be higher than 200 times, this means such spacemap would be horizontal, unless you laid out space zones like snake (hyperspace type terrains would be most effective with separating zones where they shouldn't connect).

Largest map is 168x112

You would be better of editing mapscript height and width for largest size and then make your space map with Earth of width of 112 and height of 168 and then place lets say 20 tiles long 168 tiles high space zones.

Last edited:
In fact I never created the space parts of my maps myself, I just copied them from Kation's maps and added different earth parts. But in general I think that the "standard" size maps are about the maximum that makes sense. In fact they are quite large, there is space for about 100 cities easily.

I can make a space map according to your wishes as listed here but I can´t change the size.

Top Bottom