Interesting Pattern with the AI

xcrissxcrossx

Prince
This isn't really a bug, but more of a topic of interest for me. The last few games I have played have all shared a pattern. In all of them, I had flexible difficulty on, so I was never in first place, always in second. The strange thing, First place was always WAY ahead of me.

The scores would be like
1) Uber republic - 3000
2) Me - 1300
3) Everyone else 1000-200

Is this happening in anyone else's games?

What map size are you on? I suspect that there is a unwritten rule of gravitation. There is only so much room for civilizations on a standard map, and once one starts winning, it snowballs. On large or huge maps, it might be 2 or 3 runaway AI's, but basically the same idea.

Usually, this happened in old games, but the Human player was the runaway player, thus prompting complaints about the poor AI. Now, with the AI getting better and better, the runaway player is the AI, not the human.

Interesting, to say the least.

It is great having an AI like that now! Games very intersting to say the least!:goodjob:

I have been playing on standard and huge maps. The last game I played, The Incans blocked off a pretty big peninsula for themselves and made 18 cities, and they were way ahead. It is a fun challenge though.

I can confirm. In my present game, there is a leader (25 cities) and a "chasing group", me included.
I experienced similar thing in my previous games. Afforess is right - previously, human was a leader, but since we can enjoy AI improvements, and because I moved to emperor level, the game presents interesting challenge now.

I can confirm. In my present game, there is a leader (25 cities) and a "chasing group", me included.
I experienced similar thing in my previous games. Afforess is right - previously, human was a leader, but since we can enjoy AI improvements, and because I moved to emperor level, the game presents interesting challenge now.

Same here. Consistently second on Emperor level with Revolutions and Ruthless ai. I normally win pretty easily on Emperor with normal ai. Maybe Emperor is "unwinnable" with Ruthless ai. I would love to hear if anyone has won with those settings. I win on Monarch but Emperor leaves me scratching my head.

I'm usually on Deity and smoking the AI but lately the AI has been keeping up and... passing me. Current game I was leapfrogged by the Iriqouis because in 10 turns my military went from 1.1 to .5

His neighbor got steamrolled. I'm probably next.

I'm usually on Deity and smoking the AI but lately the AI has been keeping up and... passing me. Current game I was leapfrogged by the Iriqouis because in 10 turns my military went from 1.1 to .5

You'll be happy to learn I just added new code so that the AI will initiate trades and counter trades to trade military units for the next version. :mischief:

I already added trades for workers and contacts in 1.72.

Well in my current game of 1.71 the AI (Mali) has three times given me 300-400 gold for a single worker. The problem is I accepted it all 3 times and was able to trade for the worker back at 120ish gold without ever leaving the diplo screen.

Needless to say, I won't accept any more because it'll feel dirty. And I have no more riflemen to upgrade.

Well in my current game of 1.71 the AI (Mali) has three times given me 300-400 gold for a single worker. The problem is I accepted it all 3 times and was able to trade for the worker back at 120ish gold without ever leaving the diplo screen.

Needless to say, I won't accept any more because it'll feel dirty. And I have no more riflemen to upgrade.

Should have told me about this sooner. I'll fix it. :mischief:

What other cheap strategies are you using?

Edit: Fixed that bug for the future; no more selling units back to their original owner.

Well after a few games you tend to 'learn' what techs the AI doesn't value at all and you can use these to trade for a lot of techs.

Meteorology and electronies seem to be a huge ones that are never researched quick enough so I'm always free to trade them around.

Well after a few games you tend to 'learn' what techs the AI doesn't value at all and you can use these to trade for a lot of techs.

Meteorology and electronies seem to be a huge ones that are never researched quick enough so I'm always free to trade them around.

Hmm, well I wonder what your opinion of the AI and techs are with 1.72. Jdog completely trashed the old tech values for the AI and wrote a new one, that was one of the big changes.

Just curious, you win on Deity with Ruthless AI or normal AI? My point is that ruthless is at least 2 levels stronger than normal.

I'm currently playing deity game with RoM 2.9 AND 1.71 and Ruthless AI on, Gigantic PW2 map, 2 continents, on my continents there is me (Ragnar) and Washington with couple small vassals each, each having around 40 cities, i'm ahead in GNP (about 1.6x of his) and techs (few of them), and wonders (almost all wonders built by me), he's ahead in population 1.5 of mine, army (i have 0.4 rating), between us there is britain which had wars with both of us and lost few cities to me and to washington, strategically i would need to hold narrow land line which goes to me (no wide borders to hold garrisons near). And few lesser civs (10-20 cities, behind in techs) being slowly eaten by us. On other continent Rome is dominating everyone, have approx. same 40 cities and no other big enemies, he slowly expanding. We are currently at armored cavalry/invention/paper timezone, no astronomy yet (we have contact and even trade but no intercontinent travels yet). Overall interesting game, im estimating it should reach nukes time.

I'm thinking about installing 2.91 and 1.72 in other folder, save my current game in WB and try it under new ROM/AND.

p.s. Suggestion: (i don't know where to post it, so posting offtopic here): in other mod desert tiles were damaging units 20% per turn (with possibility of killing unit), like storms do now. It was making deserts much more interesting and much more valuable as natural obstacles (basically like it is in real life). Maybe we should do same (and snows possibly too, 10%/turn?) with desert/tundra promotions removing that penalty? And adding events like "Your unit 351 ran out of water and got lost in a sandstorm near city of Lalala". With research of Medicine such % per turn would be reduced to 10%/5% accordingly (While infantry dying from thirst in desert isn't that much a problem in modern times as it was in ancient eras, tanks/mech. units take increased damage and wear their resource very fast from dust/extreme temperatures (both low and high)).

p.s. Suggestion: (i don't know where to post it, so posting offtopic here): in other mod desert tiles were damaging units 20% per turn (with possibility of killing unit), like storms do now. It was making deserts much more interesting and much more valuable as natural obstacles (basically like it is in real life). Maybe we should do same (and snows possibly too, 10%/turn?) with desert/tundra promotions removing that penalty? And adding events like "Your unit 351 ran out of water and got lost in a sandstorm near city of Lalala". With research of Medicine such % per turn would be reduced to 10%/5% accordingly (While infantry dying from thirst in desert isn't that much a problem in modern times as it was in ancient eras, tanks/mech. units take increased damage and wear their resource very fast from dust/extreme temperatures (both low and high)).

This is an awesome idea! :goodjob:

Just curious, you win on Deity with Ruthless AI or normal AI? My point is that ruthless is at least 2 levels stronger than normal.

I've been playing ruthless AI since it was released (even the buggy one that would cancel all deals) and every game has been deity and I haven't really had any problems handling the AI. The current game I'm playing is actually quick difficult as I had no rubber, coal, or iron in my core cities (advanced start - industrial) so I had to immediately send out boats to secure these resources (big and small map). I got the cities I needed for resources but the AI keeps blockading my stuff with privateers or forces people to declare/embargo me. I'm just lucky I've been friendly with powerhouse Iroquois as they are quickly speeding ahead of me.

Afforess said he made the AI better with 1.72 so I can't wait to finish my current game and try that one out!

Top Bottom