Interesting Screenshots

Locked alliances can lead to all sorts of trouble. It gets really fun in the Napoleonic Europe Conquest Scenario, because there's so many of them and a whole bunch of civilizations to stir up trouble. Sometimes it's not even the player nation who creates the locked alliance war, iirc. There's something really fun about creating a mutual protection pact with Portugal and then declaring war on the Dutch.

England is in a locked alliance with the Dutch, so they'll declare war on you. After they land a few troops and attack, Portugal has to declare war on England (even with their locked alliance). Naples might also declare war on you and attack if you're Austria (Naples is allied with England) and then Portugal declares on them too.

Next thing you know, The British are so busy fighting their allies they forget all about the French.

I remember playing Fall of Rome several years ago and I accidentally got Eastern Rome and Western Rome to declare war on each other using this tactic. At the time I didnt realise how exactly I did it.

Hmm, not exactly sure what the last three posts have to do with "Interesting Screenshots"...?! :mischief:

Perhaps a mod could move them (and this one...) to the "Short Single Player Tips" thread?
But continuing the off-topic topic: because in COTM 115 we just used a locked alliance for the first time in the GOTM/COTM competition, we collected a few facts about them in the COTM 115 Pre-Discussion thread. Check it out, it's quite interesting!

I am still trying to figure out what happenend. :eek:

This is a regent level game and I was surprised, that the KI has only build the Colossus as only wonder so far. Also I have more than 50% of the world population and I have not seen a single KI city beside their capital.

At this stage of the game I would at least expect decent sized empires and a horde of Vikings at my shores...

So I removed the fog of war using Civ3Multitool.

I have not messed with the editor since the last game (also regent level), so I have currently no clue, why the KI does not expand.

Besides I hate it, when two countries share the same color. :rolleyes:

Kirejara I thought I was the only one lol! That happens to me too, but I found the reason why. In my case settlers are auto-produced and the required building the AI did not want to build for some civs.

I just made palaces auto-produce settlers, then and after a bit of expansion they began to build my other settler buildings.

By the way those are some badass mammoths. I'm gonna go download them now!

That's crazy! Never seen that before. I've run into what something similar to what Ahorsehockyay is talking about though. Except it's more "they have like 3 villagers left and won't resign," which is still strange. Seems like the AI in these old strategy games just sometimes forgets to work :lol:

I am still trying to figure out what happenend. :eek:

This is a regent level game and I was surprised, that the KI has only build the Colossus as only wonder so far. Also I have more than 50% of the world population and I have not seen a single KI city beside their capital.

At this stage of the game I would at least expect decent sized empires and a horde of Vikings at my shores...

So I removed the fog of war using Civ3Multitool.

I have not messed with the editor since the last game (also regent level), so I have currently no clue, why the KI does not expand.
have you messed with the settler cost/food somehow?

Besides I hate it, when two countries share the same color. :rolleyes:

My brother! There are 32 available colors, and 32 civs.
Go to the editor, give each civ one color (alternative is the same color) and dont duplicate colors.
Done. Every civ now has a color, no dupes. Many shades of orange/purple/green, but it beats the alternative.

Whoop!

Theov, my lost brother, ;)

no, as I have written I have not messed with the editor between the last and current game (you have even included this in your quote ;) ).

I doublechecked the settler in the editor, but they are still in vanilla state. Then I have started a new game on the same map (I really like my starting position). And the KI is behaving normal now with lots of cities and two invasion attempts allready in the ancient age ("Oh shiny! an undefended inland city! ").

Second EDIT: I was wrong: Somehow the "Join City" order has been disappeared from the settler. This seems to confuse the KI enought to not build settlers. :confused:

I still have no idea, why the KI went into general strike in the last attempt. :confused:
I have seen this in real time strategy games like Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2 like Atishay Jain before, but never in Civ. Very intriguing... ;)

I will give Darskis and your advice a go and adjust the game colors either by hand or with Rhyes patch.

PS: Zergmaster, my palace is allready building a Royal Guard (a small one unit army) every 100 rounds. The KI usually has no problems buildings settlers except for the pictured general strike. ;)

The game is finally working again as intented. ;)

I intercepted a note from Hiawatha to Smoke Jaguar: "No coffee for you until you make peace with us!"

Yes, those are iroquois Torpedoboats and Russians, Maya and Iroquois are all at war with each other.

But This looks like a surprisingly effective blockade by the KI.

I will give Darskis and your advice a go and adjust the game colors either by hand or with Rhyes patch.

Just a note, but the second orange in the editor's drop down list doesn't mix with the diplomacy page colors. I find it vay vay annoying.

PS: Zergmaster, my palace is allready building a Royal Guard

Ha ha! My palaces build Royal Guards too. Mine are immobile 8/80 capital defenders. Every 20 or 30 turns. On the Lord of the Mods I use either palaces or pre-placed wonders for settler production. With wonders you can make them obsolete at some point.

It turns out Jesus wasn't the first person to learn how to walk on water, but a Carthaginian slave:

This is in PinkTilapia's RFRE scenario, and since I delayed the Hannibalic War by a couple centuries, is in about 18 BC. Carthage has a far superior navy to mine, and was attacking with amphibious troops. At one point they enslaved one of my soldiers they'd defeated, and since the boat was full their new slave decided to walk on water instead. The boat is now long since gone, and the war over, but their worker remains there.

...On the Lord of the Mods I use either palaces or pre-placed wonders for settler production. With wonders you can make them obsolete at some point.

are you still developing your version ?

Check out this screeny. Myself, the French and Russians were all competing for the same island at the same time. Naturally, I required one section for the Iron and Horse, so settled the south, the Russians took the North and the French in the middle. Naturally, this promoted conflict between us. The French were soon at war with both me and Russia (after they declared on me and I got Russia onto my side).

While taking the French towns I noticed there was a classic (Russian) stranded Spearman/Settler permanently Fortified next to one of the French towns. The French didn't kill them (which was the only reason I asked the Russians to help) and when I'd taken the French town that Settler/Spearman were still standing there.

I then looked on the bright side and thought they'd make for a great ace in the hole for when I wanted Russia to declare on me (I wanted the War Happiness and the land). But when I was ready and clicked on the Settler/Spearman to demand they leave I got this message:

As you can clearly see, according to Russia, there are no troops on my land (and, no, there was no Rights of Passage agreement). So my second cunning plan regarding these awkward units failed in a heap of tarded AI.

As it turned out, Russia was desperate to not declare on me as, when I managed to get the Ultimatum option, from lots of Russian boats sailing around, they immediately cow-towed and for the first time ever that I've seen it, a stranded Unit gets teleported back to the mainland without the AI automatically declaring war because they have no means to move their troops:

So the programme definitely knew they were there, but, also, didn't know they were there!!!!

Such is the micro-weirdnesses of this game :)

At one point they enslaved one of my soldiers they'd defeated, and since the boat was full their new slave decided to walk on water instead. The boat is now long since gone, and the war over, but their worker remains there.

I remember a similar screenshot showing an MGL walking on water... :D Don't remember who it was, but it was a human player who generated the MGL with an elite Marine victory. As in this case, the boat was full, but he was able to come back with another boat later and pick up the floating MGL...

Buttercup, did you take Rouen on the same turn that you tried to ask Catherine to remove the troops in the first screenshot? I could see that causing it to not recognize them - it may not have registered them as infringing until Russia's turn. Although if they were there for many turns without triggering that option, that would be odd.

Teleporting can be fun. It's rare, but I have seen it on occasion. The holy grail of teleporting, of course, is to get a unit booted pre-Navigation/Magnetism, while your rivals control nearly all of the land in the area, and have the unit wind up on a previously unknown continent, thus enabling a monopoly on trade with that continent. It's rare to have that work out, and I'm not sure I've ever done so, but I've read a couple reports of it.

I remember a similar screenshot showing an MGL walking on water... :D Don't remember who it was, but it was a human player who generated the MGL with an elite Marine victory. As in this case, the boat was full, but he was able to come back with another boat later and pick up the floating MGL...

Thanks goodness loading onto the later boat worked! So far Carthage hasn't tried to save its worker that way, even though they still have a far superior navy even after I sunk a decent number of ships in port. Likewise, I never tried to sink their worker since by the end of the war I had at most one warship (and I've now made peace). We'll see if they come back during the time of peace.

are you sure about that? i thought that MGLs cannot spawn if there is no boat space for them on the tile, and this was the consensus. maybe you can dig up that picture?
t_x

Buttercup, did you take Rouen on the same turn that you tried to ask Catherine to remove the troops in the first screenshot? I could see that causing it to not recognize them - it may not have registered them as infringing until Russia's turn. Although if they were there for many turns without triggering that option, that would be odd.

Teleporting can be fun. It's rare, but I have seen it on occasion. The holy grail of teleporting, of course, is to get a unit booted pre-Navigation/Magnetism, while your rivals control nearly all of the land in the area, and have the unit wind up on a previously unknown continent, thus enabling a monopoly on trade with that continent. It's rare to have that work out, and I'm not sure I've ever done so, but I've read a couple reports of it.

I think you're right, which is interesting. They are not recognised as being in my territory until Russia's turn. I loaded a save from about 1100AD and I got the option (they still chose to teleport though :( ).

I tried to think of a scenario where you could potentially take advantage of this to bounce pre-Map Making, but it would require some really exact and unlikely circumstances.

are you sure about that? i thought that MGLs cannot spawn if there is no boat space for them on the tile, and this was the consensus. maybe you can dig up that picture?
t_x
no, Lanzelot is right.

I also have Leaders walking on waters from Marine or Berserks.

Since I also have Pirates able to attack from sea and to enslave enemies (must be fun, since there is allready male laughter with a female pirate and a male victim :eek::blush: ). And after taking out barbarian camps with them there are usally some workers standing on water.

You do not need to pick them up with another ship as they are able to walk onto shore by themself.

No picture from me yet, as I am to far away from astronomy and also playing Japan, wich has got Ninjas instead of Pirates. ;)

this does not sound like the vanilla version to me... are you talking about a modded game where MGLs can walk on water, or is it really possible in let´s say C3C to spawn an MGL from a full boat?
t_x

Top Bottom