Interesting Screenshots

Yes, it is "An Eye in the Sea" out of the PTW-folder.

Only modification are two added places for canal cities for less isolation.

But the map turned out more difficult than expected. Coal and Salpeter are only in the barbarian infested middle island and there is only one iron mine and one oil field on each two player island.

My iron mine was next to Constantinopolis, so I had to fight Theodoras Legions with Spearmen, Archers and Horsemen and had to endure her Dromon raids more or less helpless.

Until I was able to gain access to coal and salpeter I (and everyone else) was only able to build light naval forces (Galley, Ocean Galley, Corvette).

And no, I did start only the war for iron against the Byzantines. I never meet China (conquered by the Hittities) and Austria (conquered by Maya) and Maya and Hittities started their war against me by raiding my salpeter towns.

27 ocak 19b.jpg

who says AI can NOT handle amphibious invasions ? That's my capital . Across the seas , the first city ı captured on a different continent , rushing the palace with a military leader , so that a city flip will not cause me loose my units . As a Sindaran Elf , ı have killed the murderers of Mordor and have arrived to bring Civilization to Human Barbarians , just having a break in fighting Rohan and Gondor at the same time and , hey , that's two Noldoran Elven brothers , just dropped by that retreating white ship , you know , that has a transport capacity of two . Just look for the white square , that's them Noldoran Brothers , who are also in the First Era or just moved into the second . While this will be another campaign that ı will fail to discover all techs in the Fourth . Anyhow , one is 4-3-1 , the attack unit and the second is 3-3-1 , defensive and UU for the Civ ...

that's my killing zone you know , where Rohan lost like 200 or 300 units if not 400 . AI becomes crazy when there is only one city on a continent . ı have just about 550 units in that picture , forget the 17 workers to built the forts and barricades and plant the forests and some hundreds of catapults and trebuchets , what's it , maybe 250 line units ? With 30 armies , 16 of them inside the city . Long reported single warrior in the epic game , 3-2-1 and descends out of this solitary galley to occupy your core ? Here's its Middle Earth version but conducted with more acumen !

as our Noldoran brothers have a mutual defence treaty with Númenóreans , the blue territory around the city o'mine , which used to be the capital of the said Númenóreans , who then might conceivably pillage my single mitril luxury ... And this single 4-3-1 is obviously Chuck Norris ...

@r16: I can see the ship with the white sail, but I'm having trouble recognizing the units it dropped off. Can you activate the "Show Team Disc" flag in the Preferences to make it easier to see?

I'm having trouble recognizing the units it dropped off.
They're the 2 units SE of r16's Capital, directly north of his Eagle-unit (the tile is marked with a little white square, as he said) ;)

for Lanzelot ı can only say ı never saw them either ; noticed after the war started so that ı had to reload for a screenshot .

After sinking about 20 Uragan Coastal Monitors in the last turn alone, I managed to slip a spy into Russias Capital.

I guess, that Ekaterina got a little carried away while building these.:eek:

For comparsion only: I have got a total of 20 Dreadnoughts, Battlecruiser and Battleships and 11 Aircraft Carriers.

This is the first time, that I have got zerg rushed by coastal ironclads.;)

I love you canal set up. I like to work those in when I can

Usually, my canals just span isthmi. I was excited when this one took 4 cities and 3 intermediate lakes! (15 moves to pass through the locks)

That freezing peninsula isn't quite the worst start I've ever seen, but it's pretty close.

That freezing peninsula isn't quite the worst start I've ever seen, but it's pretty close.
I had a recent game (at Regent) where I started on a continent that was nearly entirely tundra. I played it anyway and suffered a diplomatic defeat. Getting resources was damn near impossible, and I had nothing to trade so I fell behind in tech. Next time I have a start like that I'll probably just toss the game (which I did once at Warlord) and start over.

I had a start where I was on a mountainous part of a small island and quickly ran into my closest neighbor and out of space, I posted about it about 20 pages ago:

And on the pedestal these words appear: I am the Map Generator, King of Kings. Look upon my terrible start locations, ye mighty, and despair.

My capital was stuck at size three until I built a Harbor in it. There's so many mountains in the area that even though I've spaced my core cities as close together as possible, it's not causing any cramping- they can't get big enough. They're all stuck at size 7-8, and that's with them working as many coastal tiles as they can.

My neighbors, the French, started with the only Iron on our island right outside their capital and one of the two sources of Horses also right outside, and they managed to get to the other Horses in the middle before I could. They're doing a lot better than I am.

The only reason I have any chance in this game at all is that Berzerks don't require Iron and Archers upgrade to them. Massive Berzerk rush is my only hope.

And it helps that the AI have mostly ignored me- Portugal fought Persia a few times (I joined in, attempting to get Persia's Iron, but sadly Portugal beat me to it- I did manage to get their capital and a Berzerk victory got me the GA I'm currently in), and every other AI is fighting the Koreans. I'm very lucky France hasn't yet grown bored of my existence, they could kill me easily.

Eventually I lost, but held out for quite a while.

There was also a time a bit after that I saw an AI start alone on an island that was almost entirely mountains:

I've seen some bad start locations in my time, but this one might just be the worst I've ever seen:

A mostly mountainous island. If not for the Sugar, there would be exactly one tile on the island making 2 food, a grassland that's currently under The Hague. Amsterdam would be stuck at size 3 pre-Map Making if the Dutch weren't Agricultural, and even then it could only get to size 4 without a Harbor (and I think only Size 7 or 8 with one, working the 5 coastal tiles in its BFC).

They don't even have any Iron or Saltpeter in all those Mountains!

I was playing through this mod of mine in debug mode, and happened to destroy an AI's palace with a trebuchet! :mischief: I didn't remember to save the screenshot right away, so here is another screenshot from later on. You can see that the city contains no palace, but it has a star without dot next to the city's name.

In this mod I've also seen AI ships attack other AI's ships that were inside cities! :eek:

In this mod I've also seen AI ships attack other AI's ships that were inside cities! :eek:

I think, this can happen even in the unmodded game. A bug (or feature...) I remember from long ago: the AI loves to attack pirate ships, and of course attacking pirate ships does not cause war. But if you have one of your pirates inside a coastal town, sooner or later an AI ship will come by and try to attack the pirate inside the town -- and this time it will trigger war! That's one way to trick the AI into dowing you, but takes a little patience.

I think, this can happen even in the unmodded game. A bug (or feature...) I remember from long ago: the AI loves to attack pirate ships, and of course attacking pirate ships does not cause war. But if you have one of your pirates inside a coastal town, sooner or later an AI ship will come by and try to attack the pirate inside the town -- and this time it will trigger war! That's one way to trick the AI into dowing you, but takes a little patience.

The most important for triggering the so-called 'Privateer-Bug' is, that the privateer inside the harbour city is not covered by any land unit:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/interesting-screenshots.192414/page-224#post-14998793

Even ships of friendly AI's will perform such an attack. If you cover the privateer in the city with a landunit, the AI ships cannot see the privateer any longer and stop attacking it.

but then if the AI so badly wants a war , their ships might attack your land units in a full kamikaze mode ...

it doesn't matter . If you are doing good and a war would break the good going , AI sends a ship and voila ... In my experience it has always been galley equivalents in a favourite scenario .

Top Bottom