Is Adoption a Right?

I had to look. All the maps where about inter country abortions, but I found this table:

Spoiler Also :
Rates over time:

International adoption

That graph basically shows when they introduced universal welfare here for single mothers in the 70s.

Theoretically you can spend 18 years on welfare to raise a kid longer if you have more.

Adoption is a privilege ; not being discriminated against by adoption groups is a right. So an adoption group has to be able to justify who gets what priority without resorting to discriminatory reasons (or thinly veiled equivalent to discriminatory reasons - "no maternal presence" is still discriminatory), but doesn't have to provide a child if there are no child to be provided.

For the Maori, I'm not familiar with specifics of New Zealand-Maori relations, but if they have faced the same kind of treatment other indigenous groups in the Commonwealth and the US have (eg, repeated forced removal of children, through residential schools then adoption, to raise them outside their culture, in many case still ongoing) then the adoption of Maori children should be a wholly separate question from other adoption, and Maori communities should be in charge of making any calls that need to be made for how these children are to be fostered or adopted, including having the right to prioritize keeping those children within their community and culture - this should not be considered discriminatory. There's similar points to be raised depending on how much of a degree of self-government the Maori have (if they're reasonably self-governing they should have their own child welfare system, that should likewise be able to prioritize keeping the child within their community).

I don't think they had kids seized off them en masse lime say Australua but they were over represented on poverty figures.

In their culture you basically get full rights and privileges if adopted even if you are non Maori. Tribes also "adopted" adults and in that scenario you're also treated as Maori.

"Going native" in 19th century probably via marriage or adoption these days.

Top Bottom