Is Advanced Start (and/or starting NOT at Prehistory) eliminated altogether?

Somebody613

Deity
I tried starting a scenario with either "deviation", but neither worked.
Even a scenario with Era set to something else in the file itself, still defaulted to a Prehistoric start.
And ticking Advanced Start did absolutely nothing either, nor could I edit the "gold" value for it.
Are these options DEAD now, or how could I access them?

I wanted to try a quick Future Tech game, and to test the Advanced Start functionality in C2C (a bit unrelated, but I thought of both at the same time).
Now I had to start a normal game and give me FUTURE TECH via World Builder (it basically crashed when I tried giving to all civs).
Also a way to test it, but it's not the same (I wanted to test full gameplay).
Anyways, I just asked in general.

ok, so there's an absolute ton of advanced start cost xmls that have not been tooled properly and the whole world of programming nobody has bother to try to keep in touch with the rest of the game where advanced starts are concerned. Starting in other eras may also, at times, find some buggy things that were never considered for such starts. We had a while back considered an initiative to review these things and make it more possible, but the modders that were concerned about it burned out shortly after discussing it.

Never mind Advanced Start for now, but I'd really like the option to start a later-Era game.
Unless I'm doing something wrong, it simply doesn't allow me to change it, AND when I did so in the scenario file itself, the game simply ignored it and reverted to Prehistory forcibly.
Kinda lame, ya know.

Correction:
It lets me start a RANDOM GAME in any Era.
Okay, so how do I affect a Scenario to let me do it?
I'll come back after more testing.

Last edited:
Never mind Advanced Start for now, but I'd really like the option to start a later-Era game.
Unless I'm doing something wrong, it simply doesn't allow me to change it, AND when I did so in the scenario file itself, the game simply ignored it and reverted to Prehistory forcibly.
Kinda lame, ya know.
It never let you change it for scenarios at fist place!

You can change era only while generating map - scenarios have fixed starting conditions including techs.

So it's literally impossible?
Or is there ANY way to use Pit's (or any other) map for a Futuristic Tech run?
I tried putting Future Era into the scenario file itself, but the game ignored it.
Maybe I should try a lower Era, because it's glitching, huh?
Tested: NOT WORKING.
I set Pit's scenario to Era_Transcendent - still got Prehistoric forcibly enforced.
The heck?

Last edited:
So it's literally impossible?
Or is there ANY way to use Pit's (or any other) map for a Futuristic Tech run?
I tried putting Future Era into the scenario file itself, but the game ignored it.
Maybe I should try a lower Era, because it's glitching, huh?
Nope, only way to do so for scenarios is going to worldbuilder and giving techs to all players.

Actually...
I literally just SAW that Pit's scenario gives Prehistoric Start to the CIVS inside the file.
Let's see if I can affect THAT, lol.
Be right back.

Still NOT working.
WHY???
This is DUMB.
Like, it literally precludes making non-Prehistory based scenarios, unless you force-feed a ton of techs via scripting, which is DIFFERENT from a literal later start.
I'm disappointed, dude.

Still NOT working.
WHY???
This is DUMB.
Like, it literally precludes making non-Prehistory based scenarios, unless you force-feed a ton of techs via scripting, which is DIFFERENT from a literal later start.
I'm disappointed, dude.
Well it wasn't a thing since vanilla - that is NEVER you could pick era or advanced start while using scenario.

Well it wasn't a thing since vanilla - that is NEVER you could pick era or advanced start while using scenario.
Maybe not PICK at the map start, but are you saying it was always impossible to SET it in the scenario file as well?
That's... disappointing. Extremely.
Are you 100% sure it can't be programmed to be possible?
I mean, what is the cause that makes the difference between the game types, huh?

Maybe not PICK at the map start, but are you saying it was always impossible to SET it in the scenario file as well?
That's... disappointing. Extremely.
Are you 100% sure it can't be programmed to be possible?
I mean, what is the cause that makes the difference between the game types, huh?
Scenarios start with predefined eras and techs.
One could make scenario that starts with developed medieval world, where civs have more or less techs, and have cities with buildings.
Advanced start or even picking other eras would mess up with that.

Forget about Advanced Start, I understood that it's botched now.
I'm asking what is preventing me from including a WORKING non-Prehistoric start in a scenario FILE?
I mean, there is the "starting Era" thing (in the FILE) that can be set to anything, but it simply gets ignored in-game at the actual play start.
Heck, it still shows the starting Era correctly in Settings in-game, but is overruled by some unknown mechanic that simply defaults to a Prehistory start "period".
Really weird.

Seems like advanced start was semi-broken when Blazenclaw reordered options, advanced start needs to be the top option as the exe is hardcoded so that the advanced points field only activates when the top option is selected, which is now aggressive AI or something.
I'll fix it on git, but it is likely to be a while before it gets to SVN still, so I reccomend you go for v43 + the v43.1 patch if you need advanced start to work better. Or you could try to install C2C through git.

advanced start needs to be the top option as the exe is hardcoded so that the advanced points field only activates when the top option is selected
Ughhhh, I think that throws the ordering scheme all out of whack 😢
Was really hoping unrestricted leaders would be the only hardcoded one.

Forget about Advanced Start, I understood that it's botched now.
I'm asking what is preventing me from including a WORKING non-Prehistoric start in a scenario FILE?
I mean, there is the "starting Era" thing (in the FILE) that can be set to anything, but it simply gets ignored in-game at the actual play start.
Heck, it still shows the starting Era correctly in Settings in-game, but is overruled by some unknown mechanic that simply defaults to a Prehistory start "period".
Really weird.
That's because you need to add all techs up to era X manually to all civs too.

Seems like advanced start was semi-broken when Blazenclaw reordered options, advanced start needs to be the top option as the exe is hardcoded so that the advanced points field only activates when the top option is selected, which is now aggressive AI or something.
I'll fix it on git, but it is likely to be a while before it gets to SVN still, so I reccomend you go for v43 + the v43.1 patch if you need advanced start to work better. Or you could try to install C2C through git.
Ughhhh, I think that throws the ordering scheme all out of whack 😢
Was really hoping unrestricted leaders would be the only hardcoded one.
That change wasn't in SVN at first place, unless it was me like year ago or so when I reordered options in previous save break.

Top Bottom