Is anyone else disappointed by the quotes for Techs/Wonders?

Panixs

Warlord
Wondering if I am the only one disappointed in these?
Its really great to have the Sean Bean narration, but when watching the streams this afternoon most of the quotes seem to really jar for Techs and Wonders.

A lot of them seem to be really modern and not at all fitting. If I am building Stonehenge I don't want a Bill Bryson quote. If I am discovering Mt Kilimanjaro in the ancient era a quote about there being no WIFI just seems weird.

I know this falls into the its a game argument with 3000 year old leaders etc, but it just seemed to really annoy me for no reason I can put my finger on.

Some were really strange. It was weird hearing Sean Bean saying he loved pigs. Or George Carlin in the Classical Era.

Oh dear. At least the quotes from Civ IV were worth hearing again and again (except the Sid Meier spoken ones). Some stupid quote about Wifi and other dumb pop culture ones are going to get old after a second play through, let alone 1000 hours and more of hearing them.

Might have to delete the Sean Bean sound file from the game directory.

Civ IV has the best voice. Nobody can beat it.

They've definitely gone for a humorous tone with lots of modern comedians. I guess that's in keeping with the game's lighthearted graphics. However, I kind of miss the gravitas of the Civ IV and Civ V tech quotes. I think weighty observations on humanity and civilization would have sounded great in Sean Bean's voice. Oh well.

They've definitely gone for a humorous tone with lots of modern comedians. I guess that's in keeping with the game's lighthearted graphics. However, I kind of miss the gravitas of the Civ IV and Civ V tech quotes. I think weighty observations on humanity and civilization would have sounded great in Sean Bean's voice. Oh well.

If the quotes are written by British comedians, it might still be okay. The Brits can do quirky humour and do it well. If they are written by Americans with American humour, or worse, written by a Firaxis employee, they are going to suck.

Some of them are quite good, but overall I do miss the gravitas of the overall assortment from Civ4 and Civ5. What I do not miss is old "A Dead Person Could Sound More Lively" from Civ5. ;)

I knew something was off the moment I saw the graphics, and the whole "it was designed this way to make spotting things easier" excuse was to hide the fact that they are dumbing down this amazing game. I really hope I am wrong but my intuitions tell me this will be a much shallower version of its former self.

Please let me be wrong....I've been waiting for civ 6 forever!

I knew something was off the moment I saw the graphics, and the whole "it was designed this way to make spotting things easier" excuse was to hide the fact that they are dumbing down this amazing game. I really hope I am wrong but my intuitions tell me this will be a much shallower version of its former self.

I think the game looks more complicated mechanically and strategically rich than Civ V BNW, and vastly moreso than Civ V Vanilla. The lighthearted touch is purely cosmetic, just in graphics and tech quotes. And all Civ games (that I can remember anyway) have had a handful of silly tech quotes and leader greetings, and Civ IV already had cartoony leaderheads. Civ VI is just taking that much further.

Don't worry. Plus, if you really feel clever tech quotes are "dumbing down" anything then I'm pretty much at a loss to discuss this with you as I feel we'll likely have zero common ground on anything related to the game.

Those good ol' feminine intuitions ;)

We've never had quotes for Natural Wonders before so it's hard to compare it to anything. Civ V was kind of like "Yep, there's a Natural Wonder."

read once, never read again.
It works in Civ V

I just listened to the Natural Wonder quotes, and I thought they were all "gravitas" except the Wi-Fi one (which I found hilarious). I think that's a good mixture of humor.

Haven't listened to the tech ones yet.

The one from monty pythons holy grail is hilarious!

"old ladies in ponds handling out swords are no basis for a government "

The AC roman one not as good. I hope that they have some quotes that are more serious /heavy but I don't mind some light hearted ones as long as they are funny enough.

Also note that they have two three quotes per tech, and only one is randomly read so the replayability is a lot better.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Those good ol' feminine intuitions ;)

Lol, hey I already expressed an open-mindedness for being in the wrong, and I will guarantee you that I am always happiest to know that I can improve upon my world views.

Besides, what's wrong with feminine intuitions, helps me avoid mean and scary guys.

I think the game looks more complicated mechanically and strategically rich than Civ V BNW, and vastly moreso than Civ V Vanilla. The lighthearted touch is purely cosmetic, just in graphics and tech quotes. And all Civ games (that I can remember anyway) have had a handful of silly tech quotes and leader greetings, and Civ IV already had cartoony leaderheads. Civ VI is just taking that much further.

Thank you for taming my wild pessimism <3333

Top Bottom