Is Civ IV a Racist and Immoral Game? HA!

Is Colonization Racist?

• Yes

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • No

Votes: 347 91.8%

• Total voters
That is actually a very interesting article. I too would indeed be offended IF i was not a computer games player. This is another one of those episodes where non gamers dont understand how games work. Colonization is a re-imagining of history and nothing more. If he wishes to get himself worked up, he should perhaps take a look at the WW2 genre. With all the nazis and communists and comminazi zombie monsters one can role play as, he will get himself into a lather and forget he even heard about this game...

It's an interesting take, and it's sometimes refreshing to look at videogames in this way.

The blog that complained about it sucks, though.

I don't see why he's so up in arms with Colonization (A STRATEGY GAME) when there are much more violent and sadistic games out there. Sure racism is bad, but I REALLY don't think this is a racist game, or that the overtones are immoral...

Typical stuff from people with little education who have nothing much to contribute to society.

I'd recommend reading the definition of racism to see what it is and isn't, then taking a fresh look at history.

Chess is a racist game that has been promoting racism since it first made its appearence 100's of years ago. In typical racist fashion this game is pitting white against black and more recently white against red, green, blue etc etc. Does anyone see a pattern here? AAAAAAND White goes first EVERY TIME. This game promotes white supremecy. (Insert Sarcasm here)

:lol:

Well, he got the attention he was asking for...

Well, he got the attention he was asking for...

EXACTLY

When people start making HUGE stinks over stuff that really has no real effect on them anyway I remember my favorite quote of all time....

"If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does." - The Duchess, Alice in Wonderland

If you think about it for a minutes it totally true, if people focussed on stuff that actually matters like healthcare, education, crime, family, and stopped focussing on stupid silly petty crap our society would be such a better place. Focus on fixing things instead of spending the whole time trying to find out who's fault it is.

I have noticed that people who 'crusade' on various issues such as racism,,, when they run out of real problems to persue, they start digging desperately to find something else, and they will grab hold of any old nonsense they can find. This is a shame really because in doing so, they only succeed in destroying all credibility for their entire cause.

When it comes to racism however, no matter how stupid the nonsense they persue, they are protected by some kind of 'magical' invisible force that somehow turns anyone whop stands against them into a racist!!

Edit: I forgot to add one more thing.... so when it comes to nonsense racism issues, even though everyone knows in the back of their mind that it is total crap, no one says anything for fear of being labled as racist. It is the perfect form of mind controll!!

Clearly video games are dangerous. We can't let young people be exposed to something as potentially harmful as, oh, I can barely type it out, it's so horrible, but as dangerous as... history!

:rolleyes:

blackrabbit said:
Chess is a racist game that has been promoting racism since it first made its appearence 100's of years ago[...]
Obviously we need to ban chess too, then.

And to think I play PC games to escape the everyday issues of political correctness and similar issues of the "real world" only to encounter them here. :(

This entire thread is bull, The argument that the game is racist is ludicrous.

Now watch this thread get trolled over while the OP silently laughs at all of you.

If you think thats funny/stupid, you should read the clamor about Resident Evil 5 being racist because you play as a white guy shooting black zombies.

Eh, the article has a point. I have to say, though, the original box art for Colonization is jingoistic as hell. The stars and stripes as the sails on the Santa Maria? Y'kidding me?

Billiards has been perceived by some as racist as well. I once went to this pool hall ran by skinheads. They had Slayer in the jukebox.

Perhaps games like Ethnic Cleansing and White Law have had spread their influence into the rest of the video game world.

I read the post, and replied.

I think if the poster of that Blog were familliar with Sid Meier's work, he would appreciate the unflinching effort to remain historically accurate, regardless of how uncomfortable the topic may be.

I have noticed that people who 'crusade' on various issues such as racism,,, when they run out of real problems to persue, they start digging desperately to find something else, and they will grab hold of any old nonsense they can find. This is a shame really because in doing so, they only succeed in destroying all credibility for their entire cause.

When it comes to racism however, no matter how stupid the nonsense they persue, they are protected by some kind of 'magical' invisible force that somehow turns anyone whop stands against them into a racist!!

Edit: I forgot to add one more thing.... so when it comes to nonsense racism issues, even though everyone knows in the back of their mind that it is total crap, no one says anything for fear of being labled as racist. It is the perfect form of mind controll!!

I don't find that particularly accurate. There's no shortage of people telling him that his argument is crap. In fact, I've never noticed any shortage of people who are comfortable with loudly disagreeing when someone calls something a racial issue. And as well it should be.

But, as far as I've noticed, calling something a racial issue is certain to draw the fire of conservative commentators. In fact, I think that is often the point of people calling something a racial issue. If you call it a racial issue, when it is probably not, conservative commentators will probably cover it extensively and, therefore, are free advertising.

I don't think there's any shortage of authentic racial issues, however I find those issues are rarely brought up by anyone, liberal or conservative. Authentic race issues require thought and careful consideration. Shallow racial issues, such as this particular blog, only require a person to have an opinion and to make as much noise about it as possible and are much more popular among liberals and conservatives. It gives both sides something to yell at the other about, self-validate their own goodness and righteousness, and most importantly, never force them to take an uncomfortable look at themselves.

The dude who called racism needs to sit down and watch about 7 straight hours of the late great George Carlin to get his head straight. Just cause some group of people decided to kick some other group of peoples butt at some point in the past and some historical game simulates it does not make it racist. If it was a game about the mongols raping, burning and killing white people no one would care but because its white people doing the winning its "racism". Go to hell dude. History is what is. You can't rewrite it and making historical simulations about racists (was anyone not racist in the past btw?) does not make the game itself inherently racist.
In fact all historical simulations are racist by definition. Hell I'm part Jewish I should find the fact that the Panzer has +50% vs armor offensive towards my people. Why should the golden age unit of Germany be from the period when they decided to slaughter millions of my people? Lame right? Oh wait I sound like a ****** all of a sudden... GO to an NAACP meeting tell it to people who actually care (crap that was a "racist" comment wasn't it? please don't ban me for it. 1st amendment)

Top Bottom