Is Gods and Kings worth it?

Ajmartin588

Chieftain
I love [civ5] and I really enjoy Brave New World but is Gods and Kings worth getting for the scenarios and civs??? I have every expansion except a couple maps and Babylon, and I already experiment with mods. Any ideas?

Side note: I am a Mac user :c5occupied:

Please point me to good scenarios and mods too. :c5plus:

thank you!

I did not realize you could get BNW without G&K! I think you can upgrade to “complete” for not too much, but I am not sure how many civs/maps/scenarios you are missing, but not much I would not think. G&K introduced religion and much better game mechanics -- but you have that with BNW. I do not recall additional scenarios at all, which tells me that they are not really outstanding. So the only main thing you could missing is the few G&K specific civs.

The upgrade from vanilla to G&K is worth it.
The upgrade from G&K to BNW is worth it.

But adding G&K when you have BNW? I am not so sure!

I did not realize you could get BNW without G&K! I think you can upgrade to “complete” for not too much, but I am not sure how many civs/maps/scenarios you are missing, but not much I would not think. G&K introduced religion and much better game mechanics -- but you have that with BNW. I do not recall additional scenarios at all, which tells me that they are not really outstanding. So the only main thing you could missing is the few G&K specific civs.

The upgrade from vanilla to G&K is worth it.
The upgrade from G&K to BNW is worth it.

But adding G&K when you have BNW? I am not so sure!
There is no complete edition upgrade; if the total value of the missing dlcs is greater than $50, buy the complete edition. If it is less, buy them separately. GnK plus Babylon are $35; if purchased at 75% off, cost is $8.75. :thumbsup:

I lovvveeeee religion in this game. Being able to make your own custom religion is one of my favorite parts of Gods and Kings and I haven't gone one game since I bought it without founding one...though to be honest, I think that hurts me more than it helps, haha. I really didn't enjoy Civ V vanilla enough to get really into it, but once I bought Gods and Kings, I was sucked in completely. I would definitely suggest buying it.

Civs (e.g., Mayans, Celts) that aren't in BNW, plus the G&K scenarios. BNW contains all of the G&K game-play innovations (religion, changes to the combat system, etc., some of which were further changed, of course, in BNW).

The Celts, The Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, Byzantium, The Huns, The Mayans, Carthage, and Ethiopia are absolutely worth it. Babylon as well! I love having Civ variety in my games, admittedly, so I'm biased

I can clearly state that if you only had Vanilla that getting the BNW + G&K combo would be worth it. (Even more so if you didn't have any DLC and got one of the BNW + G&K + DLC combos))

But if you already have BNW but not G&K, then its mainly the civs you are missing. (Every G&K civ except for Ethiopia which appears to be included in BNW even if you didn't have G&K and in addition if you already had the double civ & scenario pack you already have Spain.
This would put the price point to me down to wait for the next 75%+ off steam sale. (Which would also be a good time to pick up missing DLC that add civs.)

That depends how much you value 8 new civs. Depending on how much you're paying for the game it might be totally worth it if you like variety.

All three of the scenarios are good for G&k. I especially like Into the Renaissance which is one of my favorite scenarios.

In addition to the new civs, G&K also added several wonders to the game. Are these also excluded if you are playing BNW without G&K?

Gnk added faith but does bnw have faith without using gnk?
You could skip gnk and go straight to bnw but you would miss out on gnk civs and not sure about its religion but its civs for sure.

Yes, BNW has religion and faith, without G&K.

Another factor to consider is ability to play maps posted by others. In general, G&K is a required DLC for the various Diety, Immortal and Emperor maps posted in the Strategy & Tips forum and in the maps posted in the Game of the Month forum. So if you are interested in playing those maps and comparing your performance with others, you should have G&K installed.

I would say it's worth grabbing for the civs, but wait for the autumn Steam Sale so you can get it cheap.

Personally, I'm still waiting for them to release Inca as a separate DLC. I refuse to pay for Spain + Inca when I already have Spain from G&K, unless the price on the Spain/Inca pack drops to $0.99 or something.

I would say it's worth grabbing for the civs, but wait for the autumn Steam Sale so you can get it cheap.

Personally, I'm still waiting for them to release Inca as a separate DLC. I refuse to pay for Spain + Inca when I already have Spain from G&K, unless the price on the Spain/Inca pack drops to $0.99 or something.

Well, that doesn't really happen. From what happened to civ 4 which ended up to $20 for vanilla only on steam, one could tell that civ 5 full version could end up similar.

Top Bottom