Is it a normal start for community map?

myclan

King
Ver 4.6.
All 8 players start on the same continent.
Only 4 CS, all separated from me by other players on the same continents. (I'm Iroquois, gray color).
7 CS alone on another big continent.
I had to admit it will be a very difficult game for seldom space to build my city.(Surrounded by AI from all direction)
1712765593651.png

it happens sometimes, yes
I usually just restart when all the players are on one half like that and I wanted split continents

it happens sometimes, yes
I usually just restart when all the players are on one half like that and I wanted split continents
All right. I think the map script should make players and CS distribute more equally.

When the game (AssignStartingPlots.lua) can't find space to spawn 2 civs on the second continent, it falls back to Terra.

Logs should tell that.

When the game (AssignStartingPlots.lua) can't find space to spawn 2 civs on the second continent, it falls back to Terra.
does it choose city states first, then? cuz there's clearly plenty of space on the map, if the CS weren't in the way

No, but that "continent" is likely a big pile of tundra, snow, and mountains (as seen with so many inland CS), and doesn't have enough fertility for 2 civs.

hm I don't think it's that bad for authority. With all those islands and peninsulas there will be a million barbarians to kill, and the city states will be easy perma allies since it's Greece.

Looks like there might also be a 1 tile connection to the larger part above, so you won't need to wait for astronomy to go conquer. Probably won't get to leverage hoplites for it tho.
The land is probably bad though, with all the mountains.

Opposite problem. There aren't enough big enough landmasses for 2+ civs, so game falls back to "archipelago" mode.
But It doesn't look like 'archipelago' either. 4civs are starting at one continent left there. Map diversity is good but it is too much so that breaks balance I think.

1713069576328.png

This is my guess for the region borders. "Archipelago" mode is just ignoring landmass borders and try to divide the whole map into equal fertility. Regions can be cross-landmass.

Top Bottom