Is it fair for employers to judge a person by what they say on the Internet?

Ideology justifies itself by its ideology.
Aren't we all free-spirited n the free world. :lol:

My favourite is where the fact that one can abstain from an action justifies imposing unrealistic and unfair penalties and repercussions for engaging in the action.

"If you don't want to suffer the consequences, then don't do [this]" (Example: if you don't want to get screened out of a job, then don't go on the Internet - otherwise it's completely fair for an employer to discriminate against you based on Internet activity)
"Well, people have to take responsibility for their actions" (Example: if you don't want to raise a baby, then don't have sex - otherwise it's completely fair to deny the ability and availability of abortions)

And so on...

Very good example. This seems to be core of the trouble with free-market-ideology. It deems results of this system as justifiable in itself based on the premise that every action is up to you.
Which comes down to whatever behavior is shown in that system, it is justifiable by default, without taking into account that it is a result of this system in the first place and without even bothering to analyze the conflicting complexities of human nature and accompanying conflicting values of human societies.
Like those conflicts are solved all by themselves... For some unknown divine interference I guess? That is at least how it is handled in some cases - as in this.

I can imagine employers denying you a job on the basis that they can't see your facebook profile... If there were two identical candidates, one with a "clean" facebook profile (i.e. no excessive drunkenness, no tits or balls hanging out in every other picture, no "drama" from other people, just good clean fun and healthy relationships with friends and family), and one who had a private profile where there was no indication of the candidate's character, they'd go for the "good clean fun" guy over the "got something to hide" guy.

Also, if you don't want to be discriminated against because you are gay then stop having sex with men. Simple as that. Not that the gravity of this problem is anywhere near approaching "discrimination" levels, but the principle is the same... So, if you don't think it's a big deal, then just say "it's not a big deal" instead of making unqualified arguments like the one above.

Also, if you don't want to be discriminated against because you are gay then stop having sex with men. Simple as that. Not that the gravity of this problem is anywhere near approaching "discrimination" levels, but the principle is the same... So, if you don't think it's a big deal, then just say "it's not a big deal" instead of making unqualified arguments like the one above.

What?! Mise, I am sure I have misunderstood you here.
Would you say the same as "stop being black" or "stop being female" because sexuality is not a choice and not something that is relevant to a job

The path of least resistance isn't always the best path for everyone.

Use of social networks is a result of peer pressure (you are threatened with social sanctions if you don't comply).

Are you serious? You believe this?

Are you serious? You believe this?

If you want to be invited to 80% less parties, be aware of 50% less of what's going on socially, and be much less socially connected to your friends so as to have a social life, delete your account on Facebook.

It's not necessarily a direct "social sanction". It's just an indirect effect. "I'm going to invite all my friends on Facebook now" - completely forgets you. Sure, close friends will remember you regardless... but the issue remains regardless.

I am. And I don't view it as a matter of "believe".
Well, not too long ago, I've committed social media suicide on practically every social media account I had and while several friends expressed dissappointment, I didn't actually felt pressure to begin again.

Frankly, having once again no social media at all felt sortof liberating.

If you want to be invited to 80% less parties, be aware of 50% less of what's going on socially, and be much less socially connected to your friends so as to have a social life, delete your account on Facebook.

It's not necessarily a direct "social sanction". It's just an indirect effect. "I'm going to invite all my friends on Facebook now" - completely forgets you. Sure, close friends will remember you regardless... but the issue remains regardless.

I have no facebook account. I've never had a facebook account.

I have no facebook account.

Depending on your age, you're probably missing out on countless parties, events, and gatherings. Maybe you're the kind of person who wants to simply keep a few close friends. That also works.

If you're like 40 to 50, having a Facebook is probably a waste of time. But 20 to 30, this is the norm. Most people will make an event, and invite their friends on Facebook and remember to invite others on Facebook... you might be forgotten (accidentally).

3 of my last 4 girlfriends, I've entered into a relationship either directly or indirectly because of Facebook - you know, chatting on statuses, some "light getting to know one another" before actually dating, and stuff like that.

You don't need to use Facebook every day and check it religiously, like some people who go overboard do it (ok, every day is no big deal, it takes a few seconds, but you know what I mean). However, shunning all social media will hurt you socially, both directly, as well as more indirectly.

My socialization has improved about 0.005% since I joined facebook, which I only did to play CivWorld. I've basically gotten to see some extra photos that I wouldn't normally get to see, and to remotely connect with people that I probably wouldn't have visited anyways.

People here seem to assume that computing and the internet will not continue to increase in capability.

Most people here do not use their real names but they do give a lot of clues.
If you wanted to put some effort into it you could find the real names of some posters now.

So someone posts here that they are from Switzerland, were raised in Milan, and has played in a band which had a dog act and like ballooning. Your CV gives the same information so when in ten years a prospective employer does a search your CFC name is flagged as a possible link.

I would not be surprised if in ten or twenty years time you could not "Google" a picture of someone and come up with a "Google" search list of similar accuracy as you now get with "Google" search on someone’s name now.
Plagiarism software would help to narrow the search list.
etc

My socialization has improved about 0.005% since I joined facebook, which I only did to play CivWorld. I've basically gotten to see some extra photos that I wouldn't normally get to see, and to remotely connect with people that I probably wouldn't have visited anyways.

It depends entirely on your age and the demographic of your friends and potential friends.

I don't have a facebook neither. If I did, I would disclose as little information I can get away with. Why post your drunk self at a party a week ago if you're applying for a job?

It's so much easier to organise parties and dinners and things via Facebook events than via text or email chains or multiple phonecalls. And also there's little, random things, too. Like sometimes someone updates their status to "man I'm so bored at work" and so I arrange to meet up with them for lunch because I'm also bored and have nothing to do, and it turns into a long lunch because neither of us have a reason to get back to the office. It ends up being a longer, better and more enjoyable lunching session than if we arranged to meet up beforehand on a specific date that happened to be relatively busy and we were both having to rush back to work. Or sometimes they say "killing time in <some part of London> waiting for <random band> gig's doors to open" and I happen to be there too and meet up with them. Or they say "going to check out the <art exhibit/museum/new shopping centre/occupy London protests/etc etc>" and then I say "sounds cool mind if I join you?" and we hang out.

I only have a few close friends but I still get a lot more mileage out of those friends because of facebook.

I don't have a facebook neither. If I did, I would disclose as little information I can get away with. Why post your drunk self at a party a week ago if you're applying for a job?
Don't worry, other people can post those pics of you.
And you don't even have to have an account for them to be able to do that. :)

Top Bottom