Is it me or what is up with the Alt+Tab in Civ 5?

wilmer007

Chieftain
I'm using the demo. I try to switch to desktop to get fraps up to see my FPS ingame or if i try to switch to browser and boom it doesn't minimize and so far i've only been able to Exit Game to do what i wanted to do. Is this happening to someone else or is it just me. Oh yeah and so far fraps doesn't display my FPS. it did in Civ IV but haven't gotten it to appear in Civ 5 Demo yet.

I've had no problems alt-tabbing multiple times without any bad effects so it probably just doesn't like you? ;-/ Maybe not enough RAM?

heh, I like it actually. It keeps itself on top, but this is handy for multi monitor. i can just move my mouse to the second screen where I run chrome and media player. :D

It just takes a few seconds here, but works fine. 4 GB RAM.

I'd really like a way to play it in a windowed fullscreen mode, the way I do for World of Warcraft.

Switch to strategic view, hold out tab to go to the next window rather then just pressing it once to minimize.

Works fine, with strategic view the lag from the game is reduced.

Demo does alt-tab, but game keeps itself on top. It never actually minimizes itself.
You can see desktop, if you click on show desktop, but the moment you open any windows, Civ5 will be in the background.

Also, CPU and GPU are still fully utilized by the game, while alt-tabed.

I also had problems alt-TAB-ing with the Demo. It went out of the game semi-fine. But when I tried to get back to it, there was a black screen for like minute before the game resumed. I thought for a sec the game had crashed.. but it hadn't.

I am running the game on minimum specs on Windows XP 32 bit (Dell Latitude D620)

A bit of topic, but don't want to start another thread because of this.

When I played windowed, all the buttons and controls action areas were moved down, not matching the graphics. The move was exactly the amount of the windows title bar. So i need to click below the actual button graphics to make anything happen...

I only have the demo, full not released here yet.
I seen the exact same thing happening to the firaxis guy in the video preview (with that annoying guy as interviewer: cough, ahm, yeah...)

My only problem is when the game starts I can't seem to get keyboard control. I can't skip the logos, and the intro runs about 15 seconds before I can finally hit ESC and get to the menus.

I can get alt tab to work in Win 7, but cant get it to show desktop, this is very annoying.

I have Windows 7 64-bit and I have the same problem as the OP. Alt-tab doesn't close the Civ 5 screen. It's VERY annoying. The task bar comes up and you can open other windows, but Civ 5 is still there in the background.

So then I tried running it in windowed mode. There was no minimize icon on the window.

Alt tabbing works great for me on XP 64 bit. If you're having trouble you could always try to use the steam overlay for web browsing from in game.

One of the best games i've played for being able to use my second monitor without screwing up the main game!

Over here Civ V blanks the 2nd monitor too half the time (Windows 7 64 bit). Only if I stop all apps that run on the same monitor as Civ 5 does will it show the content of the 2nd monitor, and even then it's not 100% reproducible. So now I just kill firefox before I start Civ V and that seems to work, even though that kind of defeats the purpose of having a quad core cpu with loads of ram. :/

Thats happened to me a few times, or if you close a program it kinda turns into a fuzzy picture that wont go. To fix it i've just alt tabbed a few times instead of clicking to change focus and its fixed itself.
If all else fails try show desktop then tab back into civ (start+D should make civ go away on your main monitor)
I've noticed when the second screen fails sometimes windows has popped under an error message about windows aero.

Top Bottom