is it possible to build GL on King?

IkM

King
Title says all.

I'm trying to build GL on King but that's not possible. I've tried 4-5 times but beaten by AI in every try. especially Venice building wonders in every 5 turns. :confused:

I'm building scout-monument-shrine-GL. you may think "because of shrine" but no, not about shrine. there is a space beetween "monument" and "Writing" I have to build something in that space so I'm going shrine.

any advice is appreciated :)

Indeed it is. In an anomaly, I built the GL on Emperor after not beelining it and not having a great production base as Babylon. :confused:

It's definitely doable on King. Take the +15% bonus for wonder building from tradition. Steal a worker from a city state and chop forests while building the library. Don't take the lame classical wonder pantheon belief though. It's not worth it. A production pantheon gives a better bonus and lasts forever. Don't forget to grow your city to a reasonable size either.

Steal a worker and chop. This can work on emperor as well but nowhere near 100%. That said I strongly recommend giving up entirely on the library, at least if you ever want to play beyond king. It's a crutch that kind of blinds people to all other lines of play (many of which are entirely viable).

I have built in on immortal in BNW when I was going culturally in my first game. Actually I have noticed in my games so far the GL is built much later than it used to be in GK, really any wonder is possible on King/Prince

Yes, I'm stealing worker from CS'. but chop isn't an option because trying to build as Morocco and there isn't single wood tiles. almost every tiles are floodplains and desert. :/ good amount of :c5food: but poor :c5production:.

When building a wonder, make sure you have production heavy tiles too - don't be afraid to cut forests for early wonders, steal a worker from a CS or buy one from gpt/tributing [Tributes should still be easy to get on King]. Try maximizing growth to get a high pop before building an early wonder if you really want to focus on one and then when you start, manually switch your city to working your hammer heavy tiles

Desert hills. Farm them if next to river but either way work them. You don't need a ton of production exactly. Production pantheons may help you too.

It's worth pointing out that the GL isn't everything. You don't need it.

If your really struggling do scout worker gl . Cant help more than that If I go for it on most levels that is enough to get it

It's built around turn 50 on standard and 80 on epic so its easily doable. I get it most of the time without chopping.

I've done it on emperor without any wonder production bonuses. It really just depends on how many coastal civs you are up against.

It depends, if Egypt is in the game, pretty much forget it. If other science-focused civs have marble, forget it. If you can steal a worker and have a lot of forest to chop, then there's a good chance. Its almost impossible to get masonry for marble and writing in time to build it competitively to my experience.

Have built it 10 games in a row on king without chopping and going (sometimes scout)-monument-shrine-settler-GL It was about 50-50 Before with that setup, but I feel comfortable getting it on king.

Why are you building the great library? That wonder is fool's gold. 3 spt is nothing, a free tech that only costs 100 science? Gee wowzer. Out of all the early wonders, why would you pick the great library? Stonehenge, pyramids, hanging gardens, colossus, temple of artemis, mausoleum, and the oracle are all much better investments

Its doable, but I would worry about not getting Petra as Morocco then any other wonder. Bonus if you can get to Colossus also

From what I have seen so far, at Emperor, GL averaged turn 42ish in G&K, and is averaging turn 47ish in BNW. Small sample still in BNW in my case, but those are my numbers so far.

When going for GL, a huge factor of my decision is how many/close forest I have (plus civ UA, plus Opening policies). I would say you need at least 3 forests, and at least the 15% wonder policy, or a replacement to that (civ UA or marble), to shoot for the pre 42/47..

Top Bottom