is it possible to build GL on King?

because I personally consider this to be an exploit of game rules.
4x (Civ's genre) stands for explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate :) You are supposed to exploit anything you can. But then again, if you find it more fun to play in strategically inferior way, it's up to you, as long as you have fun

if GL is great lighthouse then i recently did it on King as Venice. Don't think I did anything special, just rushed it, didn't steal a worker or anything like that.

if GL is great lighthouse then i recently did it on King as Venice. Don't think I did anything special, just rushed it, didn't steal a worker or anything like that.

GL is Great Library (in this instance :p). The GL is even more difficult IMHO because I rarely go top.

I actually initially thought it was Great Lighthouse ;) luckily I figured it out before posting.

And actually Great Lighthouse is much easier to build than Great Library. I routinely build it on Emperor, and often manage to get it on Immortal. Not that it's so hot... I am somewhat disappointed it didn't get a Trade Route-related buff, even a slight one.

(incidentally, does the Great Lighthouse make cargo ships move faster, as well?)

I think GLib plays a big role for cultural victories now with the writing slots and a theme bonus.
The way I've used GLib is by bulbing D&P with it and begin building Parthenon which is gone quickly on Emperor.

I never really had a problem on 6 or lower, now on 7. Better not get too attached to any wonder. Try rushing a monument and going tradition for the 15% bonus, maybe even add religion to classic wonders. Just rush it after the first luxury you can get.

I build the GL on King every time that I go for a cultural victory- both for the early tourism boost, and for the small amount of help that it offers with early game science when you're focusing on culture. My build order for the capital is usually scout-monument-worker-GL. If I have a really good start for religion, I'll forgo building a worker to get a shrine up instead and pray that I can steal one from a CS instead. The second option would be my preferred route, but in the games that I've played, the city-states haven't had workers up before I had mine, but chopping forests is a must if you're going to get it before somebody else.

I've never had a particular problem with getting the Great Library on King? I usually go Monument-Scout-Shrine if I'm going there. Maybe it's that early monument, usually I tend to go Liberty-Tradition-Aristocracy-that Worker SP. That decent amount of early Culture makes getting all four of those before finishing the GL very possible, especially if you find a Culture ruin. I rarely if ever have to steal a worker from a city-state, and if I desperately need a Worker before that SP I usually have the money to buy one. In fact if I do amass that kind of Gold I usually take that production SP in Liberty instead.

Should be easy if you focus on it. I've managed to build it whenever I wanted it on Emperor pretty much. Haven't bothered going for it on Immortal though...

I usually don't have much of a problem getting the Great Library on King. I often use it to tech into Iron Working if I need it for a UU to start annexing my neighbors. A little infrastructure does help, though. Making sure you have a Granary in so you can produce a population that will create significant production and can feed itself while on production focus is helpful, in my experience. I can usually even hardbuild a worker and still make it to GL, though that's tempting fate a little.

How many Civs do you put into the game? I find that if you play with 6 or 8 it's a lot easier, as opposed to 12 where you have to go directly for it.

I didn't manage to get GL on King my past two games. I usually play with 22 civs so there's more competition in the race. On my current game, I did manage to get the GL, by following a tip I read here, which is to chop a forest or two to get hammers while building it. For a casual player like me, that tip was a revelation, and it paid off the first time I used it :)

Not really that difficult. Just beeline for writing. I did that as Assyria without using any cheap tactics (such as stealing workers from CS).

4x (Civ's genre) stands for explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate :) You are supposed to exploit anything you can. But then again, if you find it more fun to play in strategically inferior way, it's up to you, as long as you have fun
Probably oddtail doesn't like gamey exploits just like I don't. They could be more of a necessity on diety but king is very playable even without using such exploits.

Top Bottom