Is it possible to maintain good relations with the king?

Superjew

Chieftain
I don't see how its possible to keep the king from getting annoyed and eventually furious in this game. Also short of giving Indians gold, they all eventually seem to turn on me even if I have next to no contact with them after the first encounter.

The king is furious right now, if I had agreed to all his tax increases I would have hit the cap before 1600 (TAC mod btw). Right now its about 1630 in a marathon game, its up to 25% and Im producing so many goods that at this point it makes more sense to pay back taxes than agree to a 3%+ raise in my taxes.

I think I remember reading that if you keep the King happy, he will occasionally lower your taxes. Is this true? Also, sometimes out of the blue, he will ask for 1/3 to 1/2 my gold on hand. If Im high on gold I never agree to these demands because it seriously handicaps my gameplay and investment in my current colonies and new ones Im building up, if Im low on gold I always oblige his request though.

Also do the liberty bells make him angry too? I can't fathom not having statesmen in my colonies both for FF's and for means of efficiency.

As for the Indians, Im producing enough goods at this point in the game, I may just pay them gold to keep them happy.

Unfortunately, the answer to your initial question is just "no". You cannot keep good relationships with the king, as he will automatically angry for having military units, producing bells and from time to time may neglect to give him gold.

Does it even matter? I never pay the King's demands so he is pissed off at me for the whole game anyway. As far as I know that doesn't affect the tax hikes - they are triggered by buying and selling goods, although that could be different in a mod.

Top Bottom