Is overpopulation cause for concern?

So what's up?

• Total voters
Reductivist attempts to claim that it was any one thing like ecological factors (which didn't really play a major role anyway), or barbarians in the military (more bollocks), or Christianity (even more bollocks) are intellectually dishonest.
Note : I did not claim that, not saying you are saying I did, just wanted to say that.

I read your exert & it was indeed interesting. However, it's not surprising that some agricultural land was able to maintain productivity despite the fall of the empire. After all, people like living & no one wants to keel over & die if they don't have to.

A rural area maintaining itself & a rural area maintaining large cities & a whole empire are two different things however.

Perhaps it was because of the collapse of the empire that certain areas were able to maintain productivity. Less pressure to overfarm & fewer mouths to feed in far away places. Just a theory, I don't know enough about Roman history specifically to back it up.

Bei said:
Except the fact that pointing out that the doomsayers have been screaming about overpopulation for 200 odd years isn't a "last resort". It's pointing out the fact that doomsayers like screaming about overpopulation even if there's no reason of which to be screaming about overpopulation.
You like the word screaming, don't you?

Maybe if people had listened 200 years ago we would be in a far better place today.

Your argument is like "Ha, my friend's been warning me not to drive drunk for years & years now & I'm still ok".

As the fine print of mutual fund ads say "past performance is no guarantee of future success".

Bei said:
One problem with your equivocation: Neither the Romans nor the Mayans "collapsed" because of an "unsustainable" population.
Clearly the Mayan population was unsustainable or it wouldn't have collapsed so completely. Other factors were involved but a few years of drought wouldn't have been so devastating had the Mayans had fewer mouths to feed (and more food stored). They grew beyond their means to maintain themselves & now they're in the dustbin of history (well except for in the minds of a few hippies who think they were good at predicting the future :crazyeye: ).

Bei said:
First of all, this.
Ahd then this.
I'm all for more sustainable & less fossil fuel dependent systems of agriculture being implemented but one man's best-case scenario does not a reality make. Besides, as I've said numerous times before, humans require more than just food. Even if you could feed 20 billion people on the planet it would be too long before you couldn't feed anyone at all (i.e. : 20 billion living lifestyles even half-as-destructive as today's would destroy Earth's life-support system).

What do you think are solutions?
Nature reserves.
Hmm, letting the Earth rewild herself & limiting humans to carefully designed nature reserves? Interesting idea, it just might work! :cool:

Kero said:
The point is that there is PLENTY of food available to sustain a higher world population at current food production levels
Even if true does that mean we should push population higher just because we can (assuming the ability of Earth to feed us remains static which is unlikely)?

Turns out that the recent edition of Scientific American Earth 3.0 has a detailed article on overpopulation. It contains a decent discussion of per capita consumption as well as a discussion regarding growth rates.

Some neat numbers were: Chinese per capita consumption is not projected to reach American per capita consumption until 2040. (India by 2080). The most significant factor in dropping the number of babies born is education, a decent education can halve the birthrate. And the number of unplanned pregnancies per year is greater than the number our Earth's population rises each year.

Turns out that the recent edition of Scientific American Earth 3.0 has a detailed article on overpopulation. It contains a decent discussion of per capita consumption as well as a discussion regarding growth rates.

Some neat numbers were: Chinese per capita consumption is not projected to reach American per capita consumption until 2040. (India by 2080). The most significant factor in dropping the number of babies born is education, a decent education can halve the birthrate. And the number of unplanned pregnancies per year is greater than the number our Earth's population rises each year.

The only way the per capita consumption in India can reach Western levels is a complete collapse of Western economy/society. Which is probably not going to happen, ergo only a few of the so-called developing countries can fulfill their dream of getting as rich and fat as the Westerners. For the rest, there is no hope - Earths resources will be depleted long before they even approach the living standard of present-day Western societies.

The only way the per capita consumption in India can reach Western levels is a complete collapse of Western economy/society. Which is probably not going to happen, ergo only a few of the so-called developing countries can fulfill their dream of getting as rich and fat as the Westerners. For the rest, there is no hope - Earths resources will be depleted long before they even approach the living standard of present-day Western societies.

Maybe they were saying that the Indian consumption per capita in 2080 would be equal to the Western consuption per capita now? :confused:

Some neat numbers were: Chinese per capita consumption is not projected to reach American per capita consumption until 2040. (India by 2080).
Wishful thinking. Chinese per capita income will never reach US levels. Even US levels will never again reach US 2007 levels.

Wishful thinking. Chinese per capita income will never reach US levels. Even US levels will never again reach US 2007 levels.

Do your predictions often come true?

Has anyone suggested pop rushing a spaceship to Alpha Centauri yet?

40k colonists per ship isn't going to solve Earth's problems.

But at least some part of humanity would survive :) Until they'd start fighting because of the ideology and wipe each other out using planet busters :mischief:

Anyway, the Alpha Centauri's backstory is looking more realistic now; Earth is heading towards a disaster. Too bad we can't build such a space ship...

But at least some part of humanity would survive :) Until they'd start fighting because of the ideology and wipe each other out using planet busters :mischief:

Anyway, the Alpha Centauri's backstory is looking more realistic now; Earth is heading towards a disaster. Too bad we can't build such a space ship...

Overpopulation is no threat to the human species. Just billions of the individuals.

Top Bottom