Is this a bug and how do I deal with it?

nicky1243

Chieftain
Sometimes a Worker will accept an improvement command but then on the next turn it is ready for a new command but did not do the previous improvement. This happens every game and a few tiles but I'm not sure if it may be related to the worker or not. It's just a regular worker and the improvement request was for a valid improvement.

Is this a bug? How should I deal with this? It really slows down my development because it takes me a few turns to recognize this is going on and I never get to improve those tiles. What's the deal?

Thanks.

Is there an enemy unit within 2 tiles of the worker? They stop working when there's an enemy within reach of the worker that can capture them.

This is a question for you - Does this bug only happen after you have been at war or beaten up a barbarian nearby?

If this happens to you a lot, try enabling the "show tile yields when I have a civilian unit selected" feature in the game settings. This will allow you to recognize which tiles have been improved and which haven't pretty easily...

To answer the questions, no enemy workers nearby, in some games I have been to war previously but in others not, and I have not neaten up a nearby barbarian. I really think this is a bug. It happens on two machines I have. One runs DX 9 and the other DX10 so I don't think it's related to that. It is very annoying because on a busy (late) game I can't keep track of where this happens and I go back an waste time trying to improve a tile that won't improve. It does tend to happen in a localized area effecting 2 or 3 tiles nearby.

It seems like it happens more often on hills.

Assuming there is a hostile unit nearby (could be as many as 4 hexes away), a "way to deal with it" is to stack a combat unit (of any strength) on the affected worker.

I never get to improve those tiles.

I go back an waste time trying to improve a tile that won't improve.

Please be very sure that the tile won’t improve because that would be a new bug. Probably what is happening, and the responses you have gotten assume this, is that the worker is repeatedly alerting. You may just have to give the same command multiple times on particular tiles. Annoying, yes, but a different issue than a tile which will not improve.

if there is a barbaian or enemy unit, even in the fog that can capture the worker, he will alert, stop working the tile, so you may move him out of harms way... not a bug, but a help you keep your worker safe.

Thanks for the comments but there are no enemy of any kind nearby and no reason for the worker to be alerted. I'm using Windows 7 the original version that unfortunately makes you install Steam (a rip off in my mind as I have no use for Steam).

Is there an important patch I should install?

I'm using Windows 7 the original version that unfortunately makes you install Steam (a rip off in my mind as I have no use for Steam).

I suspected you might be playing the original version and I am sorry to inform you that it has been broken by having to load the steam updates.

I suspected you might be playing the original version and I am sorry to inform you that it has been broken by having to load the steam updates.

I'm not sure what this means. I never heard of Steam until I tried to install my newly purchased Civ 5. First thing I do when I power up my PC is make Steam exit from running in the background. I have no use for it!

There are 3 versions of the game:-
1) The basic, vanilla, original, 1st, etc version which doesn't having religions and all ships are ranged being the most obvious difference from memory.
2) The Gods and Kings expansion which was the first expansion and required the above version which has religions, spies and some ships are 'melee' so they attack in the same way as units like warriors rather than like archers.
3) The Brave New World expansion which requires both of the above and added things like ideologies and trade routes.

If you have the vanilla version there was a bug where if a worker got activated by a enemy unit so you could move it to safety that unit would wake up every turn for the rest of the game so if that worker was threatened and woken up in the past it will wake up every single turn for the rest of the game as if it was being threatened even when it is not.
This bug was never fixed because it appeared around the time they released the first expansion and stopped working on the vanilla game.

As for Steam, it is a requirement of playing the game.i.e. it has to be running in the background or the game won't work thus every time you start the game steam will also start up as steam is in effect a form of DRM which you can read more about here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
and most PC games seem to involve having an account of some sorts to download and play games such as Ubisofts Uplay, Blizzards Battlenet etc and Steam is just a neutral version of those methods which means you can buy games from multiple developers/distributors rather than just games from one company.
By default they tend to work in online mode which means when they turn on they go on the internet and contact their parent site to authenticate the application and check for updates to the application and/or game.
In most cases you can change them to offline mode after the initial installation of the game so you can play without being connected to the internet.
To use offline mode with steam you can follow these instructions
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555
As a point of note with steam even if it is in offline mode it will still try to contact it's parent site over the internet for updates to the application so you will still see steam frequently updating itself when starting your game and the only way to stop this is to turn off your internet connection.

To stop steam from automatically running when you start your PC just follow these instructions
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5344-QWBN-3580

I'm not sure what this means. I never heard of Steam until I tried to install my newly purchased Civ 5. First thing I do when I power up my PC is make Steam exit from running in the background. I have no use for it!

Everyone has a use for Steam, you just don't know it yet.

Let me just say that the original game worked fine until late 2012 at which point a patch automatically installed by steam caused this bug of which you speak. It is not a case of finding a patch, it is more a case of unloading a patch. I have posted on here asking this question and the consensus of opinion is that it would not be possible do this.

There are ways to play and enjoy the Vanilla game despite this bug but I am afraid they will limit many of the freedom of choice options that the game was designed to give us!

Everyone has a use for Steam, you just don't know it yet.

Maybe in your world but not in mine. I've played many older versions of Civ before there ever was such a thing as Steam. It's just about money and finding another way to intrude advertisements into our life as though the junk mail to my mailbox, the junk mail on my front door, the junk emails I get endlessly, the annoying telephone soliciting calls, the commercials DURING a TV show (not talking about commercial breaks), is not enough. Very sad.

Maybe in your world but not in mine. I've played many older versions of Civ before there ever was such a thing as Steam. It's just about money and finding another way to intrude advertisements into our life as though the junk mail to my mailbox, the junk mail on my front door, the junk emails I get endlessly, the annoying telephone soliciting calls, the commercials DURING a TV show (not talking about commercial breaks), is not enough. Very sad.

There's no junk mail from Steam, and no advertisements. In my 10 years on that platform, I have gotten exactly zero emails from Steam that I didn't initiate (account actions, purchases) and I have absolutely gotten zero physical mail or advertisements on any other platform. Steam is about providing what the gamer wants at a very reasonable price. I don't know what you paid for Civ (I'm assuming you got it in a boxed copy), but I guarantee it was more than what I paid for Civ, and every single one of it's expansions, as well as probably more than most of the other ~150 games I own (and now, the ~30 games my friends own that I'm able to play for free as well).

If you play games at all (and it sounds like you may just be in the market for G&K, BNW, and many of the other DLC), you lose nothing and gain quite a bit of cash in your pocket by using Steam in an appropriate manner. There's no reason to pay full price for games anymore. Developers have flocked to Steam for many reasons -- accessible ability to patch, along with proven results for making more money selling your games cheaper. Steam is the way of the future, and the gold standard for PC gaming.

It is not directly about money, but DRM.

I admit that Steam has been good about email. For now. I have absolutely no confidence that my copy of Civ5 will work 10 years hence.

I have reloaded StarCraft and SMAC from original media a few times. Steam is free, but the cost is too high. The problem with the advice to put Steam offline is that you don’t know there is a problem until well after the problem. Then it's too late and you can’t go back.

I understand that developers believe piracy is to be a real problem. I understand that Steam is the least bad solution to date. In my experience, Steam has been quite terrible. Wish I knew what will replace it.

I feel the same way about the keyboard. Terribly flawed interface. Better than all the alternatives (so far). I don’t know what will replace it, but I know we should keep looking! I feel the same way about PDF.

If steam is the gold standard it is only by virtue of it being top of a bad pile. Yes it has many good points but also many bad points although it is ironing out many of my initial annoyances, top of my current list being even if you choose offline mode but are still connected to the internet it still updates itself every time you turn it on which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't regularly take a good number of minutes to update while it only takes seconds to actually load the game, then there is the regular issue of if you do stay in online mode of getting the message "cannot connect to steam network".

That being said i have come to an alliance of convenience with steam in the sense that there are many good points about the system as well as the bad points/annoyances.

As for steam always being cheaper that is far from correct, i often buy steam locked games from amazon for up to half price what steam are charging with the only down side being having to sometimes wait for delivery but even that is often solved by the seller sending you an activation code via email.

Then there is the issue for many people of the fact that even if you do buy a disc you often have to download half the game or even in some cases all of it from steam which apart from usually taking hours because the download speed is throttled also means that many people have to watch download allowances and when your downloading 10-20GB at a time that is a large amount of data and with the general ease of patching it brings only encourages laziness in games makers...throw it out to get some cash and we'll patch it as people complain...maybe, look at another 2k game which is on steam, Xcom which now appears to have been abandoned with a myriad of outstanding bugs left unsolved.
Anyone who pre-orders a game these days or buys it when released is effectively paying a premium to beta test the game for the developers where as if you wait a while you can pay half the price for a finished game or at least a more polished game.
Then there is by default the setting to update a game automatically which seems logical but as often happens with many games, civ 5 having been a regular case that an update will make saves unplayable. Yes you can turn this off but again it makes it a double edged sword especially that steam doesn't include an option to reinstall and choose which patches/updates to install up to like you used to be able to do so if you get caught out, your shafted.

So yes steam is top of the class but top of an average class rather than what would be seen as a legitimate gold standard that others should aspire to and it is not just steam itself but the system that it is stemming from and encouraging in the gaming industry...you no longer own anything just by a license to use it at their convenience, it's too easy to throw out unfinished products etc.

It is not directly about money, but DRM.

I admit that Steam has been good about email. For now. I have absolutely no confidence that my copy of Civ5 will work 10 years hence.

I have reloaded StarCraft and SMAC from original media a few times. Steam is free, but the cost is too high. The problem with the advice to put Steam offline is that you don’t know there is a problem until well after the problem. Then it's too late and you can’t go back.

I understand that developers believe piracy is to be a real problem. I understand that Steam is the least bad solution to date. In my experience, Steam has been quite terrible. Wish I knew what will replace it.

I feel the same way about the keyboard. Terribly flawed interface. Better than all the alternatives (so far). I don’t know what will replace it, but I know we should keep looking! I feel the same way about PDF.

DRM is a joke argument. Your Steam account is attached to you, you can install any games you want on whatever amount of systems you want as long as you have access to your account. There's no DRM issue with Steam.

"Play offline" isn't the solution to your update problem. The solution is to go to the games properties on every game you want to keep in it's current patch state and set it to "Do not automatically download updates." Yes, you need to know about this prior to the updates, but it is the definitive solution, not "playing offline." Playing offline is a hack solution to the problem. The real solution exists.

Piracy isn't an issue. Developers found out with Steam that selling games for a reasonable price results in MORE revenue than keeping game prices high. Anyone who claims piracy is an issue doesn't understand why people pirate games.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...w_deep_discounts_really_affect_your_games.php

That article shows how big studios who keep games at $60 for extensive times are missing the boat, and small developers marking games down 50-75% experience revenue (not only sales) increases of ridiculous proportions.

Fluffball said:
As for steam always being cheaper that is far from correct, i often buy steam locked games from amazon for up to half price what steam are charging with the only down side being having to sometimes wait for delivery but even that is often solved by the seller sending you an activation code via email.

Steam isn't always cheaper. But if you shop sales, you end up getting 50-90% off almost every game. The amount of games I've gotten for sub $10 is staggering. Obviously if you're not shopping sales, your experience is going to differ. But if you bought a boxed copy of Civ 5 and know you like it and are eventually going to get the rest of the expansions and DLC, they'll be on sale within a month or so here, and you can likely grab them at 75% off.

Then there is the issue for many people of the fact that even if you do buy a disc you often have to download half the game or even in some cases all of it from steam which apart from usually taking hours because the download speed is throttled also means that many people have to watch download allowances and when your downloading 10-20GB at a time that is a large amount of data and with the general ease of patching it brings only encourages laziness in games makers...throw it out to get some cash and we'll patch it as people complain...maybe, look at another 2k game which is on steam, Xcom which now appears to have been abandoned with a myriad of outstanding bugs left unsolved.

This isn't a Steam issue. This is a byproduct of the development system. In order to print a physical copy of the game, that copy has to be sent to the printing company early enough for them to do what they need to do to hit the release date. Game development doesn't stop at that point. The game is still being fine tuned, yet it cannot be on the physical media due to the fact that the physical media has already been pressed. Not a Steam issue, it's a game development issue.

Abandoning games isn't a Steam issue either. Steam can't force companies to update their games, and they don't care.

Anyone who pre-orders a game these days or buys it when released is effectively paying a premium to beta test the game for the developers where as if you wait a while you can pay half the price for a finished game or at least a more polished game.

Not a Steam issue.

Then there is by default the setting to update a game automatically which seems logical but as often happens with many games, civ 5 having been a regular case that an update will make saves unplayable. Yes you can turn this off but again it makes it a double edged sword especially that steam doesn't include an option to reinstall and choose which patches/updates to install up to like you used to be able to do so if you get caught out, your shafted.

This affects such a minority of the population that it's a non issue. I know there's some very vocal people on this board who believe that they should be able to play some 1.0 version of a game and then patch incrementally, but they are in no way the standard, or even a large enough segment of the population to be considered. The vast, vast, vast majority of people don't want to deal with anything less than the current product, and in fact, in most games, you're unable to connect to other people or the game servers if you're not using the current version. It is only by virtue of the fact that Civ has no viable multiplayer to speak of, and no game servers to play on that this is even an issue at all. Even so, many games of this nature will have incremental patches available elsewhere, hosted on their own site to keep a detailed log of this. The fact that this is not available for this game is the fault of Firaxis, not Steam.

It seems a lot of this "Steam hate" has nothing to do with Steam at all, and in fact is just misdirected anger towards other things.

Top Bottom