Is this a bug and how do I deal with it?

I worry that we are way off topic. I guess the connection is that the requirement to use Steam introduced this particular bug, and precludes a work-around.

DRM is a joke argument.

What value-add do you think Steam promised the developer houses at the beginning?

There's no DRM issue with Steam.

I agree that Steam does not have onerous DRM. The issue is that Steam is providing DRM for certain games, notably Civ5.

Piracy isn't an issue. Developers found out with Steam that selling games for a reasonable price results in MORE revenue than keeping game prices high. Anyone who claims piracy is an issue doesn't understand why people pirate games.

I agree completely, and with the take-away moral of the story: Sell games at fair prices!

Unfortunately, Steam has since established themselves as the market splace, so we seem to be stuck with them!

It is only by virtue of the fact that Civ has no viable multiplayer to speak of, and no game servers to play on that this is even an issue at all.

Many of us came to Steam because of Civ5, and still use Steam only for Civ5, so you can understand why this particular aspect makes us peeved.

It seems a lot of this "Steam hate" has nothing to do with Steam at all, and in fact is just misdirected anger towards other things.

You mean aside from Steam being the reason vanilla can’t be fixed? Okay: Steam regularly crashes Civ5 on me. It occasionally even crashes my Mac, nothing else has done that in years.

P.S. Why would you jump into a thread to champion Steam rather than just let the comment stand?

P.S. Why would you jump into a thread to champion Steam rather than just let the comment stand?

Why would you jump into a thread to argue the comment instead of letting it stand?

The answer is probably going to be the same for both.

Why would you jump into a thread to argue the comment instead of letting it stand?

Um, I was already already commenting on topic in this thread. I replied to your comment because you apparently were not aware how Steam related to OP’s difficulty.

The answer is probably going to be the same for both.

That is not the case. I was already commenting in this thread, I did not jump in specifically to bash steam. Also, I was not the person who brought up how Steam related to the OP bug (even though I am familiar with the issue), and only commented on the Steam angle at all because you brought it up.

You jumped into a thread apparently only to champion Steam. Why? Your forum join date is recent. Seems suspicious...

Sometimes a Worker will accept an improvement command but then on the next turn it is ready for a new command but did not do the previous improvement. This happens every game and a few tiles but I'm not sure if it may be related to the worker or not. It's just a regular worker and the improvement request was for a valid improvement.

Is this a bug? How should I deal with this? It really slows down my development because it takes me a few turns to recognize this is going on and I never get to improve those tiles. What's the deal?

Thanks.

This is a confirmed vanilla bug in the confirmed bug section of this forum coming under the heading of (workers stopping work).

For the past year and a half I have been working on ways to combat this serious issue, the following is the method I use.

Bearing in mind that going to war is what causes the issue (workers being in close proximity to where fighting occurred), if you are going to play an expansive game you need the land you are about to capture to be improved pre capture. Early wars had become a thing of the past and playing at Prince level had become a thing of the past because the land doesn't get improved quick enough. Eventually I discovered that I can play my favourite level which is Prince by doing the following. Take my army beyond my neighbour capture and sell/give away Cities never pillaging in the process, just generally disrupting and upgrading troops in captured Cities before selling them. Eventually I will have enough Social Policies to handle the unhappiness and the land will be improved enough to go for all out war.

Two work a rounds i remembered...
The first can be done in any version of the game but is a bit more situational...As this issue usually occurs around being at war and you tend to capture a lot of workers during conflict so would often end up with excess workers i would delete the workers who were bugged in favour of newly captured workers who weren't.

The second work around involves using an addon which i believe should still work with the vanilla game...if you download IGE In Game Editor it will allow you to delete bugged workers and create new ones to replace them. As this addon is designed to only use resources when open it has no real affect on performance with the only draw back being that achievements are disabled when addons are used.

In clarification for some of the counterpoints chum made against my comments about steam and it's dis benefit to gamers, specifically the points where the counter point was it wasn't a steam issue, in a basic form that statement is correct because things like games released in a unfinished state and poor patching to fix issues are not directly steams fault as they are simply the middle man but my point was and the statement i still say is true is that the system steam has created and the ease of patching for example it has allowed has only encouraged these lazy practices in developers to such an extent that these practices are seen as normal and going back to that other 2k example Xcom when i purchased the expansion for the PS3 and found out it was literally unplayable...term often used with great exaggeration but used with all truthfulness in this case...they attempted to fob me off by asking me to wait for a patch to solve the issues.
As i pointed out i was sold a broken product and wanted a refund, in the worst case i would then be able to wait for this hopeful patch and repurchase the game at a lower price...when it was actually finished...Sadly that patch never came and i was glad i got the refund.

As for the 'real solution' to not being able to roll back being to keep backups of the version you want to play...that is the real 'hack' solution and only goes to point out the point that steam doesn't have a real solution for that which joe average can use...if you know what your doing you can beat the system and the reason you need to beat the system is because the system is wrong.

As for the 'real solution' to not being able to roll back being to keep backups of the version you want to play...that is the real 'hack' solution and only goes to point out the point that steam doesn't have a real solution for that which joe average can use...if you know what your doing you can beat the system and the reason you need to beat the system is because the system is wrong.

Nice one fluffball, this is exactly what I have been trying to get at for some time now, I have made a mention of this in many previous threads, although not so eloquently put as yourself!!

Top Bottom