Is this new?

sherbz

Deity
So im playing as Assyria, had a slightly unfortunate start, only being able to get 2 cities and the prospect of war was not particularly pleasing as the closest cities to me had the same luxuries and i was screened off from Shaka by a row of city states. So i thought having won my first game my traditional space race victory (emperor difficulty), i thought i would try for my first ever culture victory. Im not sure exactly how well its going. Im behind on science, but managed to snag broadway and Eiffel tower. Currently beelining towards internet and having just put up hotels, am starting to get towards 150 in tourism (no idea whether this is any good).

Anyway, this is slightly beside the point. Shaka has been warring practically since the beginning of them game and is massive! He has about 15-20 cities, killed off Morocco (well, i snagged their last 2 cities, but really he was the won who beat them), and is now getting very unfriendly with me and Indonesia. When i checked the culture victory progression, i noticed how much unhappiness he was suffering: -44 :mad:

This was about the same time, maybe a bit before, people chose their ideologies. Firstly, i have never seen unhappiness like this before, and secondly, his empire was unsurprisingly awash with rebels. Then all of a sudden one of his core cities flipped to me (Bulawayo). Having never had this happened to me before, i was unsure whether it was in Gods & Kings or Vanilla. Unfortunately i panicked a bit and thought "well i have to take it", which resulted in me getting -11 :mad: , which took me a few turns to sort out. Now he has DOW'd and is going to retake it, which im not too upset about, but i thought i may as well have it for the extra tourism it would bring in (it had a few great works, so i figured i may as well get the benefit for a bit rather than him).

So, anyone had anything like this happen before, and has it been in since vanilla? It might just be that i have never seen it before. Also, does this demonstrate anything new about the AI and ideology (Shaka's happiness got worse after ideology to over -50, but he chose autocracy and 4 civs have freedom, with 1 on order)? Or is this just Shaka?

Reason i ask is that in my Morroco game he was a bit of a pacifist (well, the whole game was a bit passive TBH).

City flipping was added in BNW as part of the ideology system. Likewise, the massive unhappiness is related to that too (ideological pressure from a dominant ideology causes people to be unhappy with their ideology). In fact, cities flip when the Civ is extremely unhappy.

So yes, it is new.

In retrospect i should have just razed his city as i would have still got the benefit of the tourism for about 20 turns. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

In retrospect i should have just razed his city as i would have still got the benefit of the tourism for about 20 turns. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

You should have transfered all his great works to your own cities :)

If he has any good wonders (and/or great works) in other cities, take them too!

Can Assyians steal technology from flipping cities like they can from kinetic conquest?

No, at least I didnt get any. I think its limited the same way that if you trade the city (which means you dont get any free tech either).

i would love to take his cities, but he has a carpet army and is tech leader. For me to raise an army to beat his i would bankrupt myself. My objective is to fight defensively.

It sort of worked anyway. He took back the city that flipped, but i was actually pleased because he had a crap load of roads connecting to nothing in my empire which killed my economy. The unhappiness was bad as well.

Not sure if you can move great works from cities your are razing.

So im playing as Assyria, had a slightly unfortunate start, only being able to get 2 cities and the prospect of war was not particularly pleasing as the closest cities to me had the same luxuries and i was screened off from Shaka by a row of city states. So i thought having won my first game my traditional space race victory (emperor difficulty), i thought i would try for my first ever culture victory. Im not sure exactly how well its going. Im behind on science, but managed to snag broadway and Eiffel tower. Currently beelining towards internet and having just put up hotels, am starting to get towards 150 in tourism (no idea whether this is any good).

Anyway, this is slightly beside the point. Shaka has been warring practically since the beginning of them game and is massive! He has about 15-20 cities, killed off Morocco (well, i snagged their last 2 cities, but really he was the won who beat them), and is now getting very unfriendly with me and Indonesia. When i checked the culture victory progression, i noticed how much unhappiness he was suffering: -44 :mad:

This was about the same time, maybe a bit before, people chose their ideologies. Firstly, i have never seen unhappiness like this before, and secondly, his empire was unsurprisingly awash with rebels. Then all of a sudden one of his core cities flipped to me (Bulawayo). Having never had this happened to me before, i was unsure whether it was in Gods & Kings or Vanilla. Unfortunately i panicked a bit and thought "well i have to take it", which resulted in me getting -11 :mad: , which took me a few turns to sort out. Now he has DOW'd and is going to retake it, which im not too upset about, but i thought i may as well have it for the extra tourism it would bring in (it had a few great works, so i figured i may as well get the benefit for a bit rather than him).

So, anyone had anything like this happen before, and has it been in since vanilla? It might just be that i have never seen it before. Also, does this demonstrate anything new about the AI and ideology (Shaka's happiness got worse after ideology to over -50, but he chose autocracy and 4 civs have freedom, with 1 on order)? Or is this just Shaka?

Reason i ask is that in my Morroco game he was a bit of a pacifist (well, the whole game was a bit passive TBH).

Trade/Gift the city to a strong Civ to serve as a Shaka buffer, and maybe get a new friend in the process. (CAVEAT : If this still works in BNW).

I didn't know that cities could flip before ideologies. How does the game determine the new owner? Does it just look for the closest capital?

Top Bottom