Is this the Deity OCC record?

snarzberry

Emperor
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has managed a one city win on deity earlier than my last game, which is my best effort yet. Egypt, Standard everything, Continents, Deity. I obtained a cultural victory on turn 286. Has anyone done it earlier than that, and if so, what strategy did you use?

This was an extremely lucky starting roll. 3 gold and one marble source, plenty of production. The hardest part of the game was early on as I shared a continent with only Askia and Darius and I wanted for trading partners for the first hundred or so turns and had to research manually a couple of techs that I usually get via RA's.

This is the coolest city I've ever built and it was only possible because I walked into El Dorado on turn 4. As if anyone needed more proof about how powerful this thing is - I got such a head start on production, and must have got lucky with AI's just deciding to not build stuff, that I was able to build Stonehenge, The Pyramids and The Oracle. On deity! If you play deity regularly you will know how unlikely that is. I love how the wonders spawned on the map around Thebes in a triangle shape with the pyramids at the apex and also Cristo Redentor overlooking my Landmark to the east.

In this game I built Cristo Redentor on turn 199 (first time I've ever done it under 200). I don't think I can improve much on this game, maybe shave some turns if I had more early trading partners. So check out my awesome city one turn before finishing the utopia project, and if you've beat this time - how?

Question: was there any war with AIs or city states (beyond worker steals)?

I used my el dorado money to buy a worker so I didn't declare war on any CS's for the purpose of stealing a worker (something I rarely do anyway).

However I was at war with other Civ's three or four times. As you can see Darius was a runaway Civ and has taken over all of our continent except my one city, which is pretty much all inland. Darius and I are best buds and by the end of the game I was enveloped in a protective carpet of doom of his units. That made me pretty invincible, so I agreed to wars that Darius suggested and bribed him into others. We went to war against Alexander (because at one stage I thought Darius was fixing to attack me so I had to direct his attention elsewhere) in the middle game. And we went to war against Gandhi during the end game because I was worried the little green snotbag was going to finish his spaceship and was doing everything in my power to get all the other Civs to dogpile him.

But other than my poor scout being thoughtlessly murdered on the other continent by Alexander when we DoW'd I didn't have a battle or a violent encounter of any kind, although I spent a significant period of time at war.

I see. I suppose you have one of the great peaceful builder setups going for you then. It seems like Darius eliminates all your wonder-building competitors for you.

The only ways I can think of that might trump your game are:

Peace:
1. More research agreements and technically used/created great engineers to get wonders faster.

War:
1. Many puppets creating culture

Both seem very hard to achieve to surpass your score. Good job ! :)

omg... just took a quick peek into that save and i gotta tell you;

Persia has really got you by the balls & India has enough Nukes to blow that superb Capital into oblivion while being almost ready for a swift but timely SS-Launch. AIs broken? There wasn't ever any better proof than this game.
Talk about close calls and being more than just lucky with a great starting spot.:D

Ha ha are you implying that I may have had some difficulties if Persia decided to invade? lol understatement of the century. My lone warrior would have soiled himself when all those mech inf's and paratrooper's suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Well he is 4800 years old, talk about dad's army!

In truth though my relations were so good with Darius I wasn't concerned with him attacking after about 500AD. It looks ominous with all his units surrounding my borders, but actually I'm happy that they're there as it makes getting to my land impossible for my war enemies. It's an insta-rage quit if 'Persia has declared war on you!' appears though.

Wow. By the amount of luck you got, I'm not sure if it's possible to beat that. Gold, Marble, and El Dorado? Crazy!

Also, if that's the fastest anyone has done, I don't like the prospects of a reliable Deity Cultural win - space ships are usually launched or Diplo votes conducted by that point. Another area of luck needed.

I suppose it could be luckier though, having wine or incense for the monastery. Getting that built early turns into a boat load of culture over the course of the game. Can't complain though, that'd just be greedy.

i got a 245 win, standard pangea with siam. i massively exploited RAs, the only renaissance era tech i actually researched was astronomy, modern era - none except replaceable parts for statue of liberty, but that wasn't critical.

i moved to gain some river tiles and a second wheat+plains early, settled on some cotton, lost one turn. the starting spot was pretty decent, i ended up losing 2 good river/plains tiles to catherine (stupid bugged krepost... i was 1 turn from culturally claiming one of the good tiles when she bought or expanded on to it. i had bought 2 tiles she was going to steal earlier and she complained and i said i'd refrain. i should have bought more originally)
i allied with first maritime early,
around 150 i was allied with 3 + 1 cultural, allied another cultural before 175, after turn 180 i was almost done with RAs so all my money went to CS, so i had 3 cultural and maybe 4 maritimes for a while.

i built:
monument,
worker,
stonehenge,
(bought library) nc,
started pyramids,
oracle after philosophy came through,
finished pyramids,
national epic,
angkor wat,
workshop,
rushed chichen itza,
water mill,
wat,
market,
ironworks,
national treasury,
rushed sistine,
garden,
started kremlin,
taj,
finished kremlin,
windmill,
temple,
opera house,
brandenburg gate,
oxford (archaelogy),
museum,
hermitage,
factory,
rushed louvre,
bank,
granary,
cristo redentor (rushed, 20 pop, 3 turns left, finished 181)
broadcast tower,
statue of liberty
then i'm not 100% sure but something like hydro plant, hospital, circus, colosseum, circus maximus, research lab, sydney opera house, still had a few turns to kill and was getting nervous with the hostile AI surrounding me so barracks, heroic epic, walls, castle, AA gun, artillery.

RA completion turns and techs i got were
83 - civil service
85 - education
85 - metal casting
91 - steel
115 - physics
116 - gunpowder
116 - chemistry (pure luck - phew)
120 - acoustics
122 - banking
130 - printing press
146 - economics
147 - military science
151 - navigation
154 - scientific theory
157 - steam power
157 - biology
171 - electricity
177 - refrigeration
181 - radio
185 - penicillin
186 - ecology
203 - globalization

for policies i got
tradition, aristocracy, legalism, landed elite, monarchy, patronage, philanthropy, freedom, constitution, free speech, rationalism, secularism, free thought, scientific revolution (telegraph, plastics), scholasticism, aesthetics, educated elite, humanism, sovereignity, piety, mandate, cultural diplomacy, organized religion, theocracy, reformation, free religion, civil society, democracy, universal suffrage, oligarchy... commerce.

Attachments

• 245utopia.jpg
    245utopia.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 468
Congrats. So far I'm proud of myself for winning the OCC on immortal (only immortal game I've won). I've tried deity several times, but I can't get stonehenge despite beelining for it. I can only reach the wonders the AI doesn't seem to want like the pyramids and hagia sofia. Have not come close to beating it yet.

How do you get the money for so many RA's in OCC? my economy generally lags (usually no more than 10 or 15 gpt) in an OCC game by the rennaisance era with building maintenance. I also tend to have a relatively high unit maintenance (6 or 7 units at any time) because I don't want to have to ragequit when I get DOW'd

Do you just trading post everything that isn't a resource? What does that do to city growth? I tend to farm lakes and rivers, TP everything else.

basically you have to play diplomacy safely and hope you never get attacked. it's generally fairly safe unless you're neighbors with an ass like alexander.

only used initial warrior to explore, deleted him when i had found most city states (missed one), only 1 worker to build stuff, deleted it after discovering aluminum (had no horses, iron, aluminum, or coal in my area - impressive. there was probably uranium in the tundra but i never researched that tech).

i gave a pretty complete walkthrough and you can see my terrain. i rarely work trading posts in occ. mainly you always want to be working riverside tiles and get your gold that way,
you want to sell open borders to every friendly civ for 50 every 30 turns,
you want to sell your luxuries (i had 3) for 300 every 30 turns.

my initial 3 or 4 ras were before medieval so they cost 200, the rest except the last were done before industrial so they were 250. 3 luxuries and open borders alone covered the expense of 4-5 RAs continuously, the rest were covered with monarchy, market, national treasury, and land worked.

Very nice, especially teching all the way to globalization! I always thought that it was probably doable to get the free policy with Sydney Opera House, and now I know. Well done, this has given me some motivation to play a few more OCC games. I'll try and beat your time : )

thanks. i'm sure it's beatable, it was not an optimal starting position although i obviously got really lucky with stonehenge and oracle.
i think the key was early slingshot to chemistry, ironworks done before turn 125 is really helpful. i was doing this game mostly to test that.

basically you have to play diplomacy safely and hope you never get attacked. it's generally fairly safe unless you're neighbors with an ass like alexander.

only used initial warrior to explore, deleted him when i had found most city states (missed one), only 1 worker to build stuff, deleted it after discovering aluminum (had no horses, iron, aluminum, or coal in my area - impressive. there was probably uranium in the tundra but i never researched that tech).

i gave a pretty complete walkthrough and you can see my terrain. i rarely work trading posts in occ. mainly you always want to be working riverside tiles and get your gold that way,
you want to sell open borders to every friendly civ for 50 every 30 turns,
you want to sell your luxuries (i had 3) for 300 every 30 turns.

my initial 3 or 4 ras were before medieval so they cost 200, the rest except the last were done before industrial so they were 250. 3 luxuries and open borders alone covered the expense of 4-5 RAs continuously, the rest were covered with monarchy, market, national treasury, and land worked.

I am guessing you stole the worker? Is that not a risky strategy (CS might not have a worker to steal yet)?

I'm surprised getting Louvre and Hermitage so late in priority didn't slow things down on a cultural win. I like the chmistry early though because it gives you a pretty strong defensive unit to fall back on too that early in the game (cannon). If diplomacy fails. It's a little better than just having a pikeman I mean, when diplomacy fails.

I am guessing you stole the worker? Is that not a risky strategy (CS might not have a worker to steal yet)?

no, built monument then worker. i posted entire build order up to cristo.
my start was pretty optimal in that i had two wheat/plains/river tiles, which is enough production and food both that i finished monument and worker both right before calendar opened.

i would have stolen a second worker but no CS were close enough and my warrior had to deal with barbarians.

I'm surprised getting Louvre and Hermitage so late in priority didn't slow things down on a cultural win.
that was partially due to luck, i had a few RA paths open at that point and archaelogy didn't get opened as soon as it could have, i had to build oxford to open archaelogy sooner when there was a lull in RAs. anyway they were still done relatively early. after starting factory i actually switched to and rushed louvre to not waste overflow

it's also okay because more policies fell under the decreased cost of cristo redentor, with the increasing costs, only 10% of total culture is spent on first 50% of policies

Top Bottom