Isolated emperor start

@ Dirk:

This would be your 3rd attemt... ...you are really brave... ...I already surrendered with my first attemt not working out like planned:blush:... ...I expected to run over Cyrus... ...instead I had to face huge numbers of backwards troops (killed 120 and lost 20 in first wave)... ...I think I could have pulled it off in a really long and hard struggle... ...but well, I was quite pissed with the lots of strat. mistakes I had mad (attacking Cyrus first, not enough navy) so I surrendered

@ Giaur:

No trading on immortal is to hard. Same with always peace (you need at least on expansion war).

@ all:

Since the common opinon is to play a space race immortal game next, here are my suggestions:

The actual game we played was a very had emperor game due tu starting position. An immortal game with a good start (not isolated) should be OK then for first immortal game. I will pick one of the new civs from warlord (I will pick an easy one with a good start). But no handicaps or special rules will be applied.

Is this OK???

Go ahead and write it. I didn't get the re-install done yet, and it's still crashing. Sounds like it would take me more than one night to play through anyway.

Space race is the victory with which I'm most comfortable, so immortal is fine.

Final summary:

Well, only 2 players made it through to a domination victory:

Mutineer and Giaur

3 other players surrendered to the sheer amount of enemy units faced on their way to domination: Shyuhe, Dirk (who is launching a final try tonight) and Snaaty (me)

Lilnev had to drop out of the game, because his computer gave up…

…

Well, in the end, the strategy of invading the bigger conti as early as possible to get a solid grip there an some vassals (=conquer the weaker nations first) proved to be the one that worked out best (shown by Mutineer and Giaur). Both players managed to take out Cyrus in the end, after facing huge number of enemies.

…

Mutineers game is very impressing, because he managed to battle his way through 500+ enemy units on his way to victory, after he had drawn the worst luck in midgame:

He had to face rifles when attacking Monty BEFORE 1600 AD and therefore had a quite difficult first war and a difficult position to gear up for endgame. Still he had proven that with the right tactics, the computer can be brought down, even when the odds are clearly against you.

To do so, Mutineer attacked in two waves:

In the first wave, he weakened Cyrus while he was a little backwards in tech by using his own vassals and by waiting for Cyrus initial attack at strategically good spots. He sued for peace and finished Cyrus in the second attack, when he had finally outteched Cyrus with modern troops.

…

Giaurs game was also impressive, but in a different way:

Since he had to face only about half of the troops that Mutineer had to face, he managed to bring Cyrus down in one go. What is most impressive in his game is the fact that he managed to take out 2/3 of Cyrus army within 10 turns. The power drop that he showed in his game concerning Cyrus overall power is the steepest I have ever seen when using conventional warfare (no nukes).

Giaur has also proven enormous skill in warfare by showing a very efficient way to lead an endgame war. He managed to take out about 250 units in less then 10 turns without loosing much units of his own.

So his troop combination may have been close to ideal when it comes to leading an endgame war:

Stated by Giaur in responce to my question concerning this:
“My army was balanced. Armours, Gunships, Marines, Mech-Infantry - 1 : 1 : 1 : 1”

I wont go more in detail with this summary, because all players have posted very good and detailed reports concerning their endgame war. Everybody feel free to read them through and to have a look at their saves

It´s definitely worth it:goodjob:

I'm going to have to go take a closer look at Mutineer's save for details on how he finished the modern era war... Is he the only one who successfully completed the domination?

The most annoying part of the war for me was the long distance between my island and the big continent. The 10 turns that it takes to ferry troops there and back gave Cyrus way too much time to replenish troops. I also failed to research flight until after composites (bad idea, I know).

Snaaty - when you roll up the next game, can you include Cyrus in it? I want to avenge myself in the next game.

@ shyuhe:

Can it be, that you just posted parallel to me?:lol:

Well, see previous post (final summary) for details, but:

Giaur also finished domination... ...his game also deserves a closer look due to very efficient modern warfare

EDIT:

"Snaaty - when you roll up the next game, can you include Cyrus in it? I want to avenge myself in the next game."

Next game will be space race, but IF we should go for domination again, I will make sure to NUKE Cyrus myself

I plan on nuking Cyrus regardless of the victory condition. Who cares about global warming :nuke: ! Beeline to fission! :lol:

I'll do either space or domination, although I don't do much space normally.

The most annoying part of the war for me was the long distance between my island and the big continent. The 10 turns that it takes to ferry troops there and back gave Cyrus way too much time to replenish troops.

I researched Fligth befor Industrialisation and rush Aeroport in my beachhead city. Build them in most of my other cities, providing instand trop transfer.

On south I did not build aeroport, but still had enoght cities and one can airlift units into Vassal cities.

I used to airlift my troops too. It's very handy, especially to newly conquered cities.

edit: and there is usually a queque of soldiers stationing in such city, which provides great deffense from any desant

As i'd said i tried one more time yesterday. This time i got it right. fixing all the errors i indicated in my first write up of the war.(Only forgot theocracy again till i declared)

- I declared in 1979 this time.
- I had sizeable amounts of stealth bombers and gunships and mech inf instead of sam inf. Not so much MA's this time. left the artillery at home this time.
- I had jail, mt-r and police state so no ww this time

In the first part of the war i had almost no losses. I had 2 stacks. Each turn these stacks moved one step forward, gunships in stack move 2 steps, pillage and move back in stack in the same turn. In this way you keep your stack safe from the enemy artillery that are the only real danger.Sure you get some damage from their fighters and bombers but it's nothing compared with artillery. In this way i was able to take vassal Brennus out and to take 4 big Ragnar cities.

Sued for peace next to pop borders and to settle new settlers near the spots
i had razed cities. Also took out the last japanese city and build only stealth bombers. I had 58% of land and some 30 stealth bombers after this period.

Next time i declared i just bombed and striked with the stealth bombers while my stacks ran forward. Had some more losses this time but reached 64% of land soon by moving settlers into the open spaces. Ragnar had 1 city left at that point.

My conclusion after this war :

Build lots of aircrafts
Use gunships for pillaging

Top Bottom