[ITR Scenario] Protestantism gone?!

Makenshi

Ahoy, ye salty dogs!
I'm playing Into the Renaissance with Austria, beelined Humanism to get the Protestant Reform running ASAP and allied with Wittenberg [Holy City of Protestantism] as soon as the new religion appeared [one of my cities, plus two of Netherland's and city-state Zurich also converted instantly].

The label that says it is a holy city instantly disappeared, but the description of the religion and its beliefs [in the 'world religions' tab] did not, so I did not panic.

But five turns later, when the diplomatic marriage became available, I did the marriage and *POOF!*, Protestantism disappeared from the 'world religions' tab as well. The converted cities are still Protestant, exerting pressure and all; I can even buy missionaries and inquisitors, but this is very depressing... the tab says my religion is Catholic and I have to ally/conquer Vatican to get points...

Is this even ok? Or is it a bug? Will I still be able to convert to Protestantism if all my cities follow it? Or am I stuck with Catholicism?

My whole plan was to become Protestant and get the holy city around turn 100, so I could get at least 1000 points from this and then take France by surprise. So far it's been a success, because all Catholics except France and Celts are my allies [DoF], and even the Muslims + Byzantium are friendly. Only Russia is guarded but never denounced me.

Hell, my allies just started denouncing France, everything was going to be perfect... now I don't know if I'll even get points from Catholic cities through conquest...

I never played Austria in that scenario, but in general marrying a CS will make it lose it's CS status (so it becomes a normal city that can be razed). Maybe this behavior also extends to Holy City. Try marrying Vatican as well, to see if the city will lose the holy status.
Anyway you also get the points for being allied so as long as you are it's ally don't worry. If you lose that status just conquer the city (assuming you have an older save form before marrying Wittenberg). In the mean time try to conquer some Orthodox/Muslim cities (so what if they are friendly, just DOW them).

I gave up on the holy city points and war against the European nations. Better to keep them as friends, but I'll stay alert for possible back stabs, since I'm converting all my empire to Protestantism. The religion seems gone, but the effects are still there: 9x pressure, bonus happiness and culture from temples, etc.

Currently on turn 139 and in the process of conquering the Byzantine Empire, while using most of my massive military around my cities to block the European missionary spam - they're trying to suppress the reformation, but I won't allow it; +6 happiness from shrines and temples is too good to pass, considering my size, and I don't care for Vatican [too late for the less than 1000 points to be truly useful; Florence is a better ally anyway, with 06 iron].

Mongolia has the lead with 2300 points but that will change soon. All Muslims are too far, I don't have a navy nor coastal cities anyway. Besides, they're friendly enough to keep my well supplied with luxuries - God help me if they "embargo" me, unhappiness would hit HARD.

If I remember correctly, I don't think Protestantism has any Founder beliefs. And once majority of your city follow it you should technically become Protestant.

Top Bottom