[MAP] Jagdgeschwader's EXTREMELY REALISTIC WWII World Map [2.0]

jagdgeschwader

Chieftain
Hi everyone, I am posting the updated and greatly-improved version of the map project I started a few years ago. I had to step away from the project for a while, but I was able to resume the project a few months ago and am posting the updated version.

Here is the original: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...xtremely-realistic-wwii-world-map-1-1.624505/

Again, the map was made for use in a WWII scenario and is thus somewhat Euro-centric. The terrain contour is incredibly realistic for a civilization scenario, but to accomplish this I had to make edits to the original terrain files using photoshop. Therefore, if you want to play the map with its full realism you will have to create a scenario folder that utilizes the terrain files included in the zip.

Notes:
-I've made edits to pretty much every continent to improve realism. Some of these are relatively minor while some are more considerable. Although the map does try to account for the natural real world topography such as elevation or climate/terrain type as much as possible, generally speaking the map values visual terrain contour above all else, and there may be a few occasionally instances where the area should technically be elevated or a different terrain type. The extent of this is rather minor and I'm guessing most people won't really care or even notice, but it is worth mentioning.
-Europe was made slightly larger for playability and the terrain realism was considerably improved.
-As someone pointed out in the last thread, the Baltic Sea and Black Sea are technically landlocked. This was intentional and was done because (a) it tends to be more aesthetically accurate from a visual standpoint and (b) it gives cities like Copenhagen and Istanbul added strategic value (the Germans have access to the Baltic through Kiel).
-The map is still incomplete. As someone else pointed out in the last few, a few of the cities are assigned to the wrong nation (for instance, the Russian city of Irkutsk is currently incorrectly assigned to Greece). This is simply because I have not yet edited these areas and they haven't been changed from the original map file; you will have to make these changes yourself.

-Some of the major transcontinental railroads across the US, Canada, and Russia are "sabotaged", which is to say they are reduced to roads in stretchs or key places whereas in real life these were rail. This is a game balance decision, these nations already have massive advantages from their size/number of cities, at it's simply meant as a minor check against this.
-Game balance is the same reason that India isn't a part of the British Commonwealth, as doing so would simply give the British an unnatural amount of power in the game.

Attachments

• Euro_terrain.png
    Euro_terrain.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 485
  • Euro_terrain_2.png
    Euro_terrain_2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 435
  • Europe_cities.png
    Europe_cities.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 475
  • Europe_cities_2.png
    Europe_cities_2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 446
  • Black_caspian_seas.png
    Black_caspian_seas.png
    2 MB · Views: 447
  • Jg_WWII_2.3.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
  • Jg_WWII_2.4.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Here are a few more screenshots.

Attachments

• Great_Lakes.png
    Great_Lakes.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 363
  • US_Southwest.png
    US_Southwest.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 314
  • Japan.png
    Japan.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 300
  • South_Pacific.png
    South_Pacific.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 335
  • South_Pacific_2.png
    South_Pacific_2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 299
  • Scandinavia.png
    Scandinavia.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 303
Very nice work! I'm going to try to create a scenario using your map.

Thanks! If you want here is the most recent version of the map.

It's kind of hard to track all the changes but I made Southern Europe a little larger and better, western Russia/Manchuria is slightly improved, the US is improved, certain areas of Africa are improved, and overall it should be slightly more accurate in terms of orientation and geography.

Attachments

• Jg_WWII_2.2.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 352

Here is the more recent version of the map for anyone who might be interested. Unfortunately I had made quite a few changes to the terrain files, but I recently had to reformat my computer and forgot to back them up. I did however have the scenario file saved, and quite a few changes were made to things like Africa and South America.

Denmark is also notably better from a visual perspective, as shown in the picture here. However, if you actually play the map, DO be aware that the island Copenhagen is on is not a true island but an island that's been edited into the terrain files, meaning units can cross that channel as if it were normal land.

Attachments

• DenmarkJ.png
    DenmarkJ.png
    474.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Jg_WWII_2.3.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Now there is an attention to detail that I can rally behind :goodjob:

Eh, a few suggestions perhaps:
  • One thing, perhaps. No offence to the Swiss or the Danes, but an entire civ represented by one city seems almost a waste. Think about adding the warlord Sheng Shicai as ruler of Xinjiang (Sinkiang). That could be fun.
  • Oh, and of course have the Japanese and Chinese start out at war. That should rile up the map.
  • Oh, and perhaps make Kuwait a British owned city?
  • Oh and also, if you decide not to include Siam (Known as Thailand from 1939) then perhaps consider making it a Japanese puppet?
  • Oh, and also, Tunis and Damascus should be French.
  • Oh, Formosa was occupied by the Japanese since 1895
  • Oh, Hong Kong should be British.
  • Oh, perhaps Rabaul should be Australian as New Britain was a mandated territory of Australia.
  • Oh, Vilnius should be Polish (occupied in 1920)
  • Oh, Albania was not occupied by the Italians until 1939, but I would probably make the same decision you have.

Oh, eh, and perhaps consider adding Vienna to Germany instead. I know the Anschluss was in '38, but I think it perhaps would make more sense if the city was German-aligned instead of Hungarian.

Ah yes I forgot to mention that the cities are not entirely complete yet.

First, the current date of 1937 is something of a place-holder timeline, I'm not sure what I'm going to set it to at the end but I'm going to finish the map first. I'm also setting the map for a WWII scenario, and I plan have some of the Islands just start as Japan because it's easier. This is why Rabul is Japanese, because it was a strategically important stronghold for them in the war. This is also why Albania is Italian, just like you said. It's just easier to start it out like that.

As for the single-city civ thing, the only true ones are the Czechs and Swiss. I have Denmark combined with Iceland, the others have colonies overseas. Copenhagen, Prague, Amsterdam and Brussels are meant to fall to the Germans quick, though, and starting them in the games lets their citizens be a different race than Germans proper, which is important I think because the cities are slightly weaker that way. Switzerland is there to make the French-German border sharply accurate. Without Switzerland things run together there in a way less than ideal. However, if someone doesn't like this setup I figure it's easy enough for them to just delete them from the game very quickly in the editor, whereas the reverse would be much harder.

The reason Hong Kong is not British is because I planned on converting it to at the start of the game so the citizens would by Chinese, I forgot to switch this for the scenario. I was planning on doing something similar for Formosa.This is also true for cities like Vienna, I plan on starting them as Hungary and then transferring to the Germans at the start so the citizens are not all German proper. I forgot to say this stuff in the text so yeah these would look like mistakes.

The middle east is still incomplete, the arabs are probably getting removed altogether and same for Kuwait City. There are cities in central Asia that are probably going to get adjusted too.

Thank you for bring Tunis and Vilnius to my attention, though. Those were genuine mistakes that I have changed and will have fixed in the next version. It's actually really helpful you pointed that out, so thanks.

So I have added the updated 2.4 version. The changes are relatively limited as I haven't had much free time the past few months, but they are worth the update in my opinion.

1. A few corrections to certain cities have been fixed as pointed out by @Cimbri, although this is not totally complete
2. Modifications were made to Great Britain and the French coastline. The changes to France added a little more size to the country and made it aesthetically more accurate to a map, and the border with Germany was altered.
3. Certain areas like the Coral Sea have now been labeled same as the original map, I thought that was a nice touch by them (I would like to add more but I don't know how to do the text in photoshop; every time I try it looks like horsehocky)
4. There are a bunch of miscellaneous changes beyond across the map that I can't keep track of. Argentina was added.

Attachments

• Jg_WWII_2.4.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 64
Top Bottom