January Transfer Window 2008

It's official now: Nicolas Anelka (Bolton Wanderes) signed for Chelsea.

Liverpool have signed that Slovakian Defender from Zenith St Petersburg. Can't recal his name though, sorry.

News;

Beşiktaş gets Majstroviç from Basel
Who is that guy?

Mitsho???

Robinson of Tottenham has spit his dummy out the pram and is now demanding to be sold because he suffered the embarassment of being....... dropped to the bench for a League Cup Game, a cup most top level teams tend to play weakened teams.

Ramos has told him he can f.... er go off and the asking price is apparently 5 million.

Robert Green being lined up as as replacement.

Expect Roy Carrol to head back to Derby for buttons

[/Goalkeeping rumours]

Not a real transfer, but Jürgen Klinsmann signed as the new coach of Fc Bayern as from next season. A very strange choice imo, as he's never coached a club team before..

I can't see Fred going to PSG (especially if they're on their way down) unless he just loves France. A few teams in England want him if the rumours are anything to go by

Steviejay,
wouldn't you be just a wee bit narrow minded as far as football outside britain is concerned?
PSG, although it has been a joke for a couple of season (Haha!) is arguably a bigger club than Fulham or Birmingham city, and if Fred wants to return to the Brazilian national team, he'll get a lot more attention playing for PSG than an average team in England.

But PSG has the potential to rise back among the biggest clubs of France again. I don't see that happening to Birmingham nor Fulham.

But PSG has the potential to rise back among the biggest clubs of France again. I don't see that happening to Birmingham nor Fulham.

I don't see Birmingham becoming the biggest club of France either. ;)
On a more serious note, I'm annoyed by people leaving Dutch top clubs for teams like Wigan too. The difference in wages is just too big.

There's no doubt the EPL is quality and IMO the best league in the world. I'm just annoyed by how the other leagues are sometimes ignored. When I used to live in the UK, it was very difficult to watch non British games. Like you would have 8 champions league games and they'd show only a few goals of the non british games at best. I feel other European countries watch a lot more of football from other leagues.

My club (AA Gent) sold Gillet to Anderlecht and Grégoire to Willem II and bought two Slovenians: Zlatan Ljubijankic and Marco Suler. The first one is the second biggest transfer (in terms of money) in the history of the club. Apparently he was also wanted by clubs as Espanyol, Werder Bremen and Celtic Glasgow. Never heard of him however...

There's no doubt the EPL is quality and IMO the best league in the world. I'm just annoyed by how the other leagues are sometimes ignored. When I used to live in the UK, it was very difficult to watch non British games. Like you would have 8 champions league games and they'd show only a few goals of the non british games at best. I feel other European countries watch a lot more of football from other leagues.

Imagine if you want to follow some of the bigger South American clubs (like FC São Paulo, who are quite talented) and players. Hardly anyone on this forum talks about it. But EPL is the best league in the world right now, I agree.

edit: On topic, Adriano was loaned to FC São Paulo and he promptly crashed a car in Rio and fled the scene of the crime. Let's see how long it takes for him to completely self destruct...

edit: On topic, Adriano was loaned to FC São Paulo and he promptly crashed a car in Rio and fled the scene of the crime. Let's see how long it takes for him to completely self destruct...

I remember a time when Inter could have sold him for the highest transfer fee ever (think it was >100 Mio offered by Chelsea).

For the Scottish and English transfer rumours, the best page to check out (every day) is the bbc gossip column, for yesterday, here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7188688.stm

I'm most impressed with the Celtic signing of Andreas Hinkel; $4 for a young German international is a friggin bargain, even if he hasn't been capped in a while.

Anyways, I share the frustrations shared above about the buying power of the premiership. Teams like Derby get like $120 + just for being in the premiership, even Derby County have more buying power than Rangers and Celtic combined, even though from fan-base Rangers and Celtic are two of Europe's biggest clubs and both play regularly in the Champions League. All big teams from smaller countries can do is take advantage of being at the top of a national playing pool, and use their non-financial but big-club status to sign good players available with only a small or no transfer fee.

Anyways, I share the frustrations shared above about the buying power of the premiership. Teams like Derby get like $120 + just for being in the premiership, even Derby County have more buying power than Rangers and Celtic combined, even though from fan-base Rangers and Celtic are two of Europe's biggest clubs and both play regularly in the Champions League. All big teams from smaller countries can do is take advantage of being at the top of a national playing pool, and use their non-financial but big-club status to sign good players available with only a small or no transfer fee.
Very true. And it's even worse for Belgian clubs. Anderlecht is known in Europe because they has some good runs in the '70's and '80's. But who is afraid of playing against Anderlecht these days? I'm sure Derby wouldn't be...

Very true. And it's even worse for Belgian clubs. Anderlecht is known in Europe because they has some good runs in the '70's and '80's. But who is afraid of playing against Anderlecht these days? I'm sure Derby wouldn't be...

I think Anderlecht is still much better than Derby for example, although they don't have the same kind of money. Players who are sportively ambitious would rather play for the former. Mercenaries, on the other hand.... But maybe this is for the best.

Top Bottom