JB01 Newb/Rookie C3C training game...

Gator, sweet. Much better analysis of first moves and dual settler pump. This could be made into a HoF game w/ that kind of start.

10 turns. Yes.

Archers are for killing something. Just not sure what at the moment. On one hand I see us picking off Germany and taking the incense and on the other I see us going for bigger game in Carthage. We prolly wont be strong enough to take on Carthage soon so I'm guessing we get the luxes first while we research into the Middle Ages and prep for Keshiks and the death of Hannibal.

And I will go out on a very short limb here and predict that the Zulu will declare on us. I can't have a game w/ that fool without him blessing me w/ war happiness and dying miserably under my boot. I hope we get horses 'cuase I hate chasing down Impi.

IMAGE HERE: http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kompressor6fo.jpg

That pretty much sums it up. It's a general pathway for units for the next few moves or so.

NOTE that germany has the ability to produce swordsmen. I do not think their cities have the shields to be particularly scary, but note that nonetheless. Other than that I see no pressing issues. I would expand northwards first, then southwards, then finally west. Keep a stream of archers until we connect the iron. At that point I'd start a war with CARTHAGE because their terrain is more level than Germany, getting more mileage from the archers. I'd declare first, bribe Germany in with Philosophy/Code of Laws, let them ready their forces for a good 5-10 turns, and THEN attack with archers/spears(/cats?).

Yeah, I forgot about those Numidians. Dammit. Germany would have to be the target of early attacks.

azzaman333 (1) - Up
jb1964 (1) - On deck
Mr David (1)
Vaiar (1) -
drakdan (1) - Turned 10 around fast!
Mirc - Out until the 13th (See his sig :) )

@drakdan, nice set. I wasn't a fan of the granary in Ta-Tu but it will benefit us. And nice map, nice trades. We have iron! We don't have wheel yet so the horses are still a mystery.

We need to irrigate through a grass tile to get water south and into the plains around Tartar.

@Mirc, ping us when you want the next set and it's yours. Before the 13th we can probably get in two more sets so we'll forge ahead.

Cats, good. NW's bad.

Germany's Hamburg is settled on top of iron. They have very little production capacity.

Bribe Greece to ream Carthage from behind. It seems oddly appropriate.

Question. Should we maybe rethink the whole 10 turns thing? I was able to crank it out in under half an hour. I daresay that if I played the save file from where I left off, I could probably finish the game before JB grabs it. Seems like we will spend more time shuffling the save around than actually playing it.

Bribe Greece to ream Carthage from behind. It seems oddly appropriate.

Won't this mean that by pulling Greece into the war (so that it starts pumping out units) we will strenghten Greece too much and create an immediate threat?
Furthermore, may Carthage drag Germany (or even Zululand) into the war? Should we be prepared for that contingency?

drakdan said:
Question. Should we maybe rethink the whole 10 turns thing? I was able to crank it out in under half an hour. I daresay that if I played the save file from where I left off, I could probably finish the game before JB grabs it. Seems like we will spend more time shuffling the save around than actually playing it.

10 turns is standard. That's probably to keep any one player from dominating the direction of the team. Also, as time goes on the turn sets will become longer as MM and worker moves become more plentiful.

I'd be more interested in finding the horses than rushing to war with archers and cats. Keshiks are cheaper knights (60 shields vrs 70) and can retreat which makes them better than archers for a military.

If your slingshot is successful the goal should be to get to Keshiks ASAP, have barracks in your core and be prepared to mass produce Keshiks when your golden age kicks off.

Waiting for Keshiks will put us in a big hole IMO. I doubt we'll keep up with the tech pace at all so by the time we get our UU, they'll be defending with muskets. Or even if they were defending with forted pikes, we'd be at a disadvantage. The point is, the odds are only going to get lower, so we need to knock one AI down and reach as close to tech parity as we can through peace treaties. Then we can have a strong empire once we reach MA and pull ahead through a Keshik golden age.

If we focus too much on military too early, we will have too many archers, which are pretty useless (compared to swords or keshiks) We should be able to keep parity if we can get in the trading circles. (got it)

back after a weekend of senseless IKEA :puke: mayhem.

good that you sold writing. i only wanted to hold on the trade if nobody had it.
once a tech is out there, sell it to the hiest possible gain.
the AI will trade at a discount, and will force you to work for it instead of TWO-FERing it.

regarding military, i would still pump out the archers now.
even dead, they will force the AI to build units.
this will have 2 main effects:
1- it will build units and not settlers and infra.
2- his unit upkeep costs would skyrocket, dumping his sci rate in the bin.

a smart human will ALWAYS (almost :)) win. just fight smart.
defend from hilltops, use plenty of cats, etc.

if we get greece on the fun that will make gerrie fight a 2 front fight, enabling us to pounce at will.

more comments later.

Hiya SW, how's the new flat?

We need to find the horses to determine our Keshik offensive.

G'nite.

As I am not an early war monger (never started one in the ancient age :blush: ), I would like to ask how many units (and which one) you more experienced players would think are necessary to overcome Carthage and Germany at quasi the same time?

Swordsmen will do it on plains, but if you're attacking on hills or against Numidian Mercs, you should also bring along Catapults for good measure. If you're doing a rush-type war, then swordsmen will be fine. If you're initiating a big war against a strong opponent, like Carthage, I'd prefer to declare war, wait a turn or two and absorb their main army in my borders with catapults and horsement, and then charge into their lands.

It would also be good to get a MA with Greece against Cart when you're ready for war. That way the Carts are having to fight a 2 front war.

This also leaves your troops in a position to attack Greece after the Carts. With all the marsh and jungle tiles near Germany, I'd leave them alone and let them clear some of the jungle. Keep trading with them and maybe occassionaly gift them something to keep them happy.

early war?

i would go take out GERMANY first, as im fearful of them NuMerx.
granted those bogs will make for a slower attack, but i still like them odds better.

since cats will have a difficult time crossing over i would focous on ponies and swords to crush germany.
HORSEMEN have a higher survival rate due to its retreat ability, IMHO.

I would use a minimum of 10 swords\horses starting it off, with reinforcements pumping out like mad.

stay focoused and decide on the first 3 towns you want to take.
hint: they should either have resources, lux, or be his core towns.
another option is to get a choke town and hold his advance off.
try and keep a few reserve troops for counter strikes in the beginning, but those can advance too.
dont forget to protect your flanks. Hanni can be a VERY devious scoundrel indeed.

Carthage? i would wait to kill with Keshiks if possible.

if possible, i would also get carthage on with US against GERMANY and then GREECE.
it would have the benefit of stopping his research, weakening his economy and all sorts of good stuff for us.

Turns 1 and 2, 1475 – 1450BC – Cant remember, Word deleted this part. :mad:
Turn 3, 1425 – Darhan is built to the north next to lake and oasis.
Turn 4, 1400 – Not much of interest, other than a worker starts roading some of the marshes towards carthage.
Turn 5, 1375 – Another settler built, this one moves toward iron.
Turn 6, 1350 – A bit of moving, but nothing interesting other than Carthage has started SoZ in Leptis Magna.
Turn 7, 1325 – I notice the ruins of what were probably Greek cities. Someone is at war, and if its Carthage, they are a prime target for a Mongolian assault.
Turn 8, 1300 – Philo in 1 turn, Sword Factory founded 1N of the iron, which will be connected in 3 turns. Notice a german sword near carthage. :hmm:
Turn 9, 1275 - ****! We’ve been beaten to philo! No free mongolian republic… :cry: Start moving new settler to silk, planning on settling the more east silk to the west, if that makes any sense whatsoever :crazyeye:
Turn 10, 1250 – I suspect Germany attacked Greece, but I have no evidence to back that up.

Attachments

• JB_01_1250BC.SAV
    86.3 KB · Views: 52
azzaman333 (2) - Just Played
jb1964 (1) - On deck
Mr David (1)
Vaiar (1) -
drakdan (1) - Turned 10 around fast!
Mirc - Up

I'm back at home

Then you're up. :)

Top Bottom