Tab = Tabriz
Tar = Tar-Tar
Ts = Tsetserleg
H = Hoyd
FA = Fort Apache
U = Ulaanbatar
SW: Sword Factory
D = Darhan

Pre-game 690 BC Following JB's advice -> research to 50%, Tar-Tar changed to swordsmen. Batshireet changed to worker. No revolt when obtaining rep. is the consensus.
670 BC Ts: curragh > curragh, K: settler > settler, settler will go between H and FA. Research MM at 80%, no trading Rep. according to JB's plan (at least my interpretation of it).
650 BC H: Worker > Sword
630 BC: Carthage is building the GL. Only worker moves.
610 BC: U: sword > sword K: Settler > settler Stopped growth in Tab to avoid CD next turn.
590 BC: SW: catapult > catapult. D: catapult > catapult. Ulaangom founded > worker
570 BC: There is somekind of small Zulu warband coming to us near FA; it hasn't entered our territory yet though. We'll see what they want next turn. FA possesses sufficient troops to take them out if needed. TS: curragh > barracks
550 BC: This sucks: the Zulu warband enters our territory. I position archers to prevent further trespassing. I doubt Shaka's good intentions though. Personally I find the Zulus the most annoying civ, even if you are located far away from them, they always seek war.
530 BC: The Zulu warband backs off, intimidated by the Mongol display of strength Though some units are still on our territory. Totsonsengel found > worker. We discovered MM > Literature. I reconfigured T to prevent CD from happening the next turn.
510 BC: The Zulu warband encompassing six units moves further N. Our suicide curragh seems to contain Columbus and goes on and on. D > scientist to prevent CD. Ts: barracks build changed into harbor.
490 BC: WEEEEHHHHHH, the air sirens go off. A Zulu impi disembarked from a galley near an undefended city, Darhan, to the NW. What now? I dispatched a swordsman to Darhan, but it stopped just before the city. In the mean time the Zulu warband to the E has grown into seven impatient units I guess we'll have a nice little war with our African pals next turn. Our response is up to the next player. Good luck!! :shake:

Attachments

• jb01_490BC.sav
    122.9 KB · Views: 65
When the Zulu declare war, get EVERYONE in military alliances against them. Especially Greece and Carthage, since their 3 defense unit should cut down the number of aggresive troops.

Pre-Turn: Send another Swordsman to Darhan. Change Capital to Courthouse to prebuild for Great Library. Reduce science slider to get Literature in 6 turns. Send all nearby army units into Apache Fort. Send Settler south. I do some micromanagement in cities. I tell Zulu to get lost, they declare. I use catapults in Fort Apache to bombard 2 archers, then attack with a Veteran Swordsman, who gets promoted. I don't attack the second archer because that swordsman would get attacked and killed next turn. I switch a northern city from Barracks to Catapult.

Turn 1: Darhan Taken. Use catapults on Zulu stack. Regular archer attacks lone reg-warrior, dies. Swordsmen kill 4 warriors, 1 Impi, and I send a swords to chase the lone survivor archer. Darhan retaken at the cost of a swordsman. I set it to catapult. I switch Ulaangom to Galley so I can suprise them germans later. I can not bribe Greece or Carthage to join me against the Zulu. Kudus to whoever can guess why. I send the curragh off the side of the map on a suicide run. He dies next turn. I also switched Tabriz from Swordsman to worker, finishes next turn.

Turn 2: Re-distribute some swordsmen around our little corner of the planet so they can protect against zulu landings. I see the Zulu have more impis coming along. I send my swordsmen back into Fort Apache. Kazan and Tabriz set to produce workers. My immediate goals are to finish literature, start the Great Library, and get more workers. I would like to have another 10 before I finish this turnset, but I think I'll end up producing a mere 4-6. I send an archer at the weakened archer who is right outside our border.

Turn 3: Tseterleg produces a harbor, I order a galley. Weakened archer attacks veteran archer, wins. Chernobyl founded in the south, I send a swordsman down to guard those three undefended cities. Catapults bombard an Impi and Archer, I finished with Swordsmen. Embassies founded in Carthage and Germany. So far the Zulu have caused us more damage than we did them in this war. Greece has entered the Middle Ages

Turn 4: Leptis Magna finishes the Statue of Zues. I want to take it. Literature finished, Karokorum set to Great Library in 24. Research set to zero Luxury rate adjusted up to 10% (+52 Gold Per Turn) . Impi is dancing around outside of Fort Apache, but not within range. I can have men outside of Leptis in 4 turns, taken in 5. Ulaanbataar switched to Spearman, as is Tartar. Tabriz switched to Spearman too. Ta-Tu switched to Settler. I hope to use 2 galleys to land 3 spearmen and a settler on top of Carthage's horse resource.

Turn 5: Zulu finish Temple of Artemis. Impi moves into range, and is killed. Embassy founded in Greece. I suddenly notice that I have another Curragh. I send it to watch the border between Germany and Zulu, to warn of impending ships. Galley in Tsetserleg finishes in 1 turn, thanks to chopped forest. Ulaangoom goes into disorder. Dammit. Workers sent to finish road.

Turn 6: Galley finished, sent to near Carthage. Swordsmen are there, Spearman is enroute, I switch Tabriz to Swordsman, Hovd finishes Swordsman and goes to worker. Micro Karokorum to finish Great Library two turns faster. Set Tosontsengal to Barracks.

Turn 7: Greece has Republic. I trade it around for Currency, Polytheism, Construction, and 30 gold. I send Fort Apache's defenders towards Leptis Magna. Greece will declare on the Zulu and give me 13 gold if I give them a Right of Passage. Done. Road Runner scout can now roam Greece and use roads for recon.

Turn 8: Leptis Magna's culture expands. My troops are on the edge, and if we want war now is the time. I can wait 3 turns so my Galley is in position. I Investigate Leptis Magna. Carthage has 0 gold, is in anarchy, and has only a Numidian Merc and an Ancient Calvary for defense. I moved Apache Fort's army without knowing this. I'd move two swordsmen back to Fort Apache, since they will not be needed and Apache Fort has other Carthaginian cities nearby.

I will stop here for the moment. What say ye people, attack Carthage, take Leptis Magna and the Horses? (Settler will take 4 turns to finish, Galley will take 4 to get in position.) Or leave Carthage. Now is the best time to go for it. They have Ivory, the Statue premade for us, and that 6 pop town will be subdued in 1-3 turns, temple rushed in the 4th for culture, and we can just sit tight there until we want to end the war.
Also, I am going to state again for the record I think we should stay in despotism a little longer.

I say: "Go, go, go!!" I hope we can take Carthage and LM within a few turns of one another. Don't forget yo upload the save though.

Yeah you, but there's no save-file. :rolleyes:

It was more of a "What should I do next?" I didn't post the save because I got 2 turns left.
Should we attack Carthage, which DOES have the Statue built, as well as horses?

Carthage has completed the SoZ and we need it now. It's unfortunate that the boarders have expanded. We should back out and the declare. Gear the entire Empire to war. The combat settler to cover the Carthage horses is a great idea. We need Greece in on this against one or the other.

We've fallen back in tech. Can we please take a look at possible trades, etc. before we go on? We should be looking at trades after each tech has completed.

looking nice folks.

trade! trade! trade!

take out LM and that lux ASAP

stay in despot a bit longer.
did the zulu declare? if so we get free war-happiness, so make sure to keep them spearchucks in war mode.

after the near fututre goals are met (ACs and another lux) revolt and crush Carthage.

:nono: on the GLib. try pushing techs to CHIVALRY.
the GLib's 600 sheilds should be made into ponies and other units (think upgrades. even though its pretty expensive)
600 shields = 1 Great lib or 20 horses (30s x 20 ponies). get the picture? ;)

you should all try quiting your wonder habit.
recite after me:
can i kick it? YES I CAN

soul_warrior said:
Great Library = Wonder Addiction

20 Horses aren't anything special. I'd rather think of it as 10 Keshiks, which stil isn't special, especially when compared to the fact that you can turn down your research rate to zero and buy them. And don't call wonder addiction because someone builds a single wonder, because it's a fantastic investment.

Turn 8: Declare War, move in.

Turn 9: Workers build roads and begin some mines. I move units closer to the southern coastline because the Greeks have a galley coming our way. This will avoid anything like Darhan from happening twice. 1 Ancient Calvary attacks, and takes out a swordsman. I counter with an archer, which kills the Calvary. There is also an IMPI nearby, which I ignore. All men moved closer to Leptis Magna. An Archer is moved from Ta-Tu to defend Fort Apache.

Turn 10: Several Carthaginian warriors come into view around Leptis Magna/Fort Apache. Swordsman wounds an Impi, which retreats. A swordsman and 2 archers are near Apache waiting to mop up weaker units.

Turn 11: Opps, played this too. Fought off the enemy, landed a Spearman and Swordsman by Carthage, and loaded a swordsman onto the Galley. And, LORDY, Germany and the Zulu have allied against us. The Zulu are willing to accept a peace treaty, but we have allied Greece against them. I think we can absorb anything else the Zulu send. We should make peace as soon as possible so we can wreck the zulu's reputation. (Which I'm convinced the AI ignores anyways, but what the heck.) Catapults are redirected towards Batshireet. I decide the 4 swords will have to deal for the moment. Carthage has a Galley coming around near the top. WATCH IT. If it heads west it has troops. East means no troops. Our COMBAT SETTLER can load onto the Galley if it moves 2 spaces along the road and the Galley moves to ocean spaces up.

Turn 12: Aww hell I just had to see what happens. I saved right after I started it, and I won't say what I saw, except that Carthage wasted their Numidian Merc by Apache Fort attacking an archer and losing. The next guy gets to watch the rest.

Attachments

• jb01_210BC.SAV
    146.1 KB · Views: 65
I personally believe that a fast research pace tis the key to victory in wars. If you get a tech lead, you dont want to sacrifice it by building the GL and turning off research.

drakdan said:
20 Horses aren't anything special. I'd rather think of it as 10 Keshiks, which stil isn't special, especially when compared to the fact that you can turn down your research rate to zero and buy them.
well, agreed, 10 keshiks are also very nice ;)
but think of this,
we get 20 horses. these can and often do retreat.
they can move VERY fast covering lots of ground, and SPEED IS KEY
when we get to chivalry we TURN SCIENCE OFF for a while.
the new income is used to upgrade those ponies into Keshiks, all the while producing more keshiks.
if science is dropped only for about 20 turns, you should be able to have 20 (minus casualties) keshiks, and then turn science back up.

if you have to rely on the AI to study for you, you will wait another 100+ turns to get to chivalry.
my way gets you there much quicker.

drakdan said:
And don't call wonder addiction because someone builds a single wonder, because it's a fantastic investment.
agreed a single wonder does not an addiction make, but still, you should try a game with NO WONDERS at all :eek:

maybe after this one is done JB or myself can host such a training game :confused: eh, JB? up for it?

maybe after this one is done JB or myself can host such a training game eh, JB? up for it?

Totally up for it.

Gang, we need to pay close attention to MM'ing the cities. Look one or two turns ahead on your builds and if you can work tiles with more gold and still bring in the unit in the same number of turns then go for the GOLD.

Also, we need to honor our agreement w/ Greece for the entire 20 turns. I don't know that we'll need a pristine reputation but if we do we'll be screwed if we break it off now.

Please look at all posible trades when we get a knew tech. Have we tried to find out what we can get for Rep?

azzaman333 (2) -
jb1964 (2) -
Mr David (1.4) -
Vaiar (2) -
drakdan (2.1) - Just Played
Mirc (1) - UP

jb1964 said:
Please look at all posible trades when we get a knew tech. Have we tried to find out what we can get for Rep?

I traded Republic earlier on. I'm pretty sure I wrote it all down, but I was able to trade into the middle ages. This is what caused Carthago to revolt. Any weigh in on my decisions thusfar?

I think we're all doing OK.

As we have seen we had Gator give a lesson on scouting the territory and coming up w/ a better initial build plan. Per his suggestion, I took the start and set up two settler factories, which was aided by popping a settler, and expanded like a virus.

I have also taken a few of the team's early posts and played forward. Paying close attention to the gold I was able to beat the AI's to Philo.

So Gator pointed out that the starting moves needed more analysis rather than my knee-jerk reaction. And I've found that while we're doing well we could be doing a bit better.

The first time the Zulu came knocking I would not given them a chance to decide on the attack and order them out. That would have certainly led to a DoW but given us the chance to attack first. I'm surprized that they actually turned back on the "show of force" The Zulu just suck.

I do not think we should be going for the GL. I would look to see what we can get out of Libs like yesterday. I think SW's advice is good.

We take LM and SoZ, which we might have already done. Starve it down to 1 to reduce the flip risk. Make nice w/ Hannibal. We now also have ivory!

On the German front we fight until we have the incense.

Don't break our agreement w/ Alex!

Probably right about the time we turn our attention to Bismarck we revolt to Rep.

When the Keshik's come rolling in we can do some pointy stick research and use the Golden Age to maybe grab a wonder. I have always liked happiness wonders like HG's. :)

Random thoughts and stuff from JB. :crazyeye:

How could you guys have posted the last few days? When I tried to access the forum I was redirected to some vague site. :(

Top Bottom