JNES: Path to Empire

JNES: The Path to Empire

For those who read and reviewed the rules on the preview thread, read them again! I have changed them according to the reviews I got back. I have made it more city-centric in the hopes of making it a little easier and less daunting. Also I replaced my stability/faction stat with that of EQ’s.

Introduction

Welcome to the newest JNES, and hopefully a hobby that will last through the summer. First off I’d like to attribute the rules to EQandCivfanatic and his short-lived yet promising Legacy of Civilization NES. Though some of the rules were derived from joint conversations between him, Kentharu and I, it was EQ who put them down in writing and added many of his own independent ideas. For that, he should be given due credit.

That said, I’ve made a few tweaks where I wanted to better suit my style. I want to say first and foremost: don’t be scared of the numbers. My philosophy has always been flexibility – whatever is not expressly prohibited in the rules should be for the most part fair game. Don’t feel constricted. On that same note, to be dissuaded by the seemingly complex math. I will be doing all the calculations. Besides, for it to be realistic rulers shouldn’t know about these formulas anyways!

My first rule for this NES is to stay in character and role play. Lets create a world from cradle to grave. I want you attached to this world, not your nation or even culture per say (because I warn you now, they will come and go!) And for this, I need cooperation from all players and at least minimal effort. You don’t have to write stories every turn, or even at all. You don’t have to be a poet or artist. But I would like some effort in creativity and role play in orders and diplomacy.

We will start after a short BT (2-3 turn’s worth in update 0, so not huge) to get the civilizations established. Technology and progression will not always follow the same rhythm or scale as OTL…we could be in the OTL classical age for decades, skip medieval, and have an industrial revolution right away. Or we may never have the industrial revolution. Its all open in this NES, and I hope you give me some flexibility when it comes to realism (though I will strive for keep it realistic!).

So I hope you join, and I hope we really create a world here worthy of these forums!

Sample stats:

Kingdom of Alonia
Absolute Monarchy
Capital: Westmond
Legacy: 3
Stability:
- Priesthood: Tiny/Weak/Faltering
- Grindolf Merchants Guild: Tiny/Medium/Loyal
- Farmers: Medium/Weak/Loyal
- City of Westmond: Small/Weak/Wary
- City of Krisen: Small/Medium/Wary
Cities:
Westmond: +1c, +3f
- Total Population: 45,000
- Farmers: 34,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 48
Krisen +1c, +1f
- Total Population: 33,000
- Farmers: 24,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 34
Raw Resources: +4f
- 2 Salt Mines (both near Krisen)
- 1 Tin Mine (near Krisen)
Trade: -2f, +2c
- 1 Salt for +1 Gold (trade with Guyerina)
Military: -1f
- Standing Army: 500 warriors, 25 chariots
- Navy: 5 Galleys
Wealth: +4c (3c in treasury)
Surplus: +5f
Wonders/Projects:
- Grinsey Road (1/3c, 1,000/1,000 Workers)

Legacy*
No nation or empire lasts forever. Except, of course, in the stories and histories of other people. The Legacy stat is perhaps the most important statistic in this rule set. The Legacy refers to the overall influence in a numerical form that your nation has had on the world as a whole. This is to help distinguish the glorious empires from the barbaric regions of the world. The Legacy stat represents both the international prestige of a nation as well as nationalism relating to it. The higher your legacy, you will receive bonuses to the fighting ability of your soldiers, the amount of population you receive from immigration from other countries, the loyalty of your subjects, and an increase to the likelihood of technological advancement or other one-time bonuses.

If your nation is destroyed or overrun (something which ALL of you should expect at one point or another) fear not! Your Legacy will remain, though it will proceed to dwindle with time. The more wonders you built during your reign as a nation, the longer your Legacy will take to wear down. If your wonders are destroyed by your opponents, then your Legacy will drain faster. While your country may fall, your heritage as a people will not, and even if your people should fade away, a truly high Legacy may carry its echoes even into planets beyond this one. Fear not if your nation falls, if you built it well, it's story will live on for millennia.

Stability*

Rather than do a single stability stat as I have done in previous NESes, I am stealing an idea from Bird_jaguar via kentharu. The various major factions within your nations will be reflected in your stats, and all will have their own views towards how the country should be run. Some are large factions, others are small, and all have different strength in influence. Most of them disagree with each other, and it will be a lucky ruler who can keep them all happy, all the time.

Players have two choices with the creation of factions within their empire. The first choice is the simplest: allow me to create generic faction names like those listed in the sample stats above. If you choose this, I will add and remove the factions as they emerge or fail to be relevant to your country, respectively. The other choice is to create and name the factions yourself, and base them on your own idea of what your national culture should be. If you choose to be creative and original by naming your factions, you will be rewarded with points to your legacy. My request however is that you must allow for some sort of laboring class, others can be optional.

All factions have three key parts: Size, Strength, and Loyalty. The larger the faction is, obviously, the more people within your society who fall into that particular category. The size of a faction will be determined by player choices, and relation with that class. The Strength of the faction suggests the power of the group and the influence they can wield for or against your government. Strength can be affected by the wealth of the faction, the size of the faction, access to weapons, and other factors to be determined. The loyalty of the faction is the rating of how likely they are to turn against you and attempt to overthrow the standing regime. Loyalty changes based on how you act in regards to what the factions hold dear, which once again will be either moderator determined or player determined. In your stats they are arranged as so: Size/Strength/Loyalty. Below are the levels of each factor that you should take into account, with a numerical rating. The numbers are used by me to use to determine the various events which take place in regards to your stability.

Size:
Tiny-Small-Medium-Large-Majority

Strength:
None-Weak-Medium-Strong-Unstoppable

Loyalty:
Rebellion (0)-Mutinous (1)-Riotous (2)-Faltering (3)-Wary (4)-Loyal (5)

Economy
This is a stat that will probably see the most change through the duration of this NES. I will adapt the economic system to the development of the world’s civilization. For now I describe the economic system of the first era (as of now unnamed).

Era One
The economy of Era One is undeniably centered on agriculture and the city. While trade is present, most economic activity is based on agriculture production and urban development. To be rich means to have surpluses of agricultural production and possibly access to some raw materials.

That said, the best way to increase your agricultural production is to either conquer productive regions or increase your farming population and your total farmed land, and thus increase your own production.

Farmers and of course city dwellers are all centered on the city in this early era. As such, each city has a total food production and a total wealth production. More on what you do with these numbers later. For each city, there are the following stats:

Total Population
This is the total population of your civilization. You must feed them. If you don’t feed them you will face the consequences. If you subtract the farming population (below) from the total population, you will get the total number of city dwellers in your city. For every 10,000 city dwellers, you earn 1c. This is from the stuff city-dwellers normally produce such as crafts, pottery, art, trade, etc. The city population and its production of wealth will get more dynamic in the future, but for this early age, it is simply based on what is described above.

You cannot easily switch around farmers and city dwellers (i.e. you can’t turn farmers into city dwellers, or city dwellers into farmers). If you do, you may end up with a riot on your hands as farmers refuse to join the city and leave their land.

Farming Population and Food Production
Of your total population, this is the amount that works in the fields farming.

The amount of food your farmers produce is based on productivity, and your productivity is based on which class they are in. I round to the nearest whole number when figuring food credits. To increase your productivity, concentrate on expansion to better land, discovering better technology, or improving your current land through projects. Here are the separate classes:

CLASS F: Bad productivity. Most of your land is unusable, and you rely on intermittent rains as your water source for agriculture. Your farmers are in poor health with weak property rights, many are wandering hunters following migrating herds. Each farmer can produce 1.2 food.

CLASS D: Low productivity. You still rely on rain for irrigation, but your land is a little more fertile. Though most of your production comes from farming, there is a sizeable proportion that comes from wandering herdsmen of domesticated animals. Each farmer can produce 1.4 food.

CLASS C: Mediocre productivity. Irrigation comes from local inundations of a river or lake source, bringing stability to the harvests. Farming produces by far the most food for your country, with animal domestication a distant second. Your farmers are in poverty, but they can maintain themselves. Each farmer can produce 1.6 food.

CLASS B: Good productivity. Most of your water comes from a system of irrigation canals and a local water source. Your land is more fertile than average. Farmers are somewhat wealthy, using technology to produce more with less input, and they live healthily (relatively) and are in good spirits. Each farmer can produce 1.8 food.

CLASS A: Great productivity: Your water comes from a great and reliable source, traveling through a spectacular system of canals including reservoirs for drought protection. The land is among the most fertile in the world, requiring very little to grow bountiful harvests. Your people are using the latest in farming technology. The farmers are wealthy and happy. Each farmer can produce 2 food.

Raw Resources
There are different raw resources that you can harvest for this time period. Each resource has its special abilities. They are listed in the Resources Post.

Specialty resources may appear here and there as well. This can vary greatly. For example, a special type of timber could be discovered from a particular type of tree that grows in a particular area, giving bonuses to ship construction, etc.

The plan is to expand this resource system into the next eras to include even specialty crops that some countries (given their climates and geography) have an advantage in so to create an actual trading system in this world. But that is for the coming eras.

Spending Wealth and Food Surplus
Total wealth is what you derive from your city population, raw resources, trade/tribute, and plunder. Wealth can be used to fund projects or wonders, to buy resources from other civilizations, to build military units, wage wars, or to sit in you treasury. Really the options are endless.

Surplus is sum of food credits each city has extra after feeding its own population. You may spend food credits on a variety of things. Some cities (especially cities just starting out) may have a deficit in food production. You will have to spend some food credits on those cities with negative food production. You can also trade food credits with other civilizations (for money, resources, or other things). Food credits are also required in standing army upkeep (and levies if you have them).

Population growth is also based on food credits. For every food credit, you can receive +1,000 population growth in any of your cities. You can decide what these people do too, whether you want them to join the city folk or be farmers. This is where the bulk of your population growth will come from (the rest will come from natural growth, expansion, and conquest), so don’t neglect it!

Military*
As has been pointed out to me by many people many times, and by me to other people, many times, at this point in history standing armies were very rare. Most of the time, they'd be in the form of household warriors or soldiers, and only occasionally as full professionals. To this end, most of your militaries will consist of Levies. Levies are soldiers which are conscripted in groups of 1,000 to serve as the bulk of your army. Your available Levies is technically your entire population, though who has ever heard of an ENTIRE population being conscripted for war. You decide when you raise levies and how much come from which cities. You can conscript as many as you like, but other elements of your society may suffer for it. Levies can be demobilized at any time to go back to farming or living peacefully in the cities. Remember, each group of soldiers on the battlefield are people who are not growing crops to increase your population or in the cities, creating new wealth.

You must also feed your levies. You either do this with your surplus food, or you can give the order for them to plunder land they come across in war. It is not guaranteed that all your food requirements will be met from plundering. It is determined by what land your are plundering, and how much you need.

Levies are also prone to getting restless if you keep them mobilized for too long and if you are losing battles. To keep a strong fighting force of levies, you should be winning battles, allowing plunder, rewarding generals and soldiers, and not keeping them for too long.

While Levies can be called forth with little hassle, they still will rarely stand up well to the standing forces which can be created. Standing forces are expensive to create and will be costly for small amounts of soldiers. Their numbers are subtracted from your total population of whichever city you take them from, but must still be fed with surplus food each turn. They cannot be demobilized and returned to your population. Remember, once you get 500 or more soldiers, you will start to have to feed them from your normal food production (for simplicity, each chariot is still one person, and each galley uses 10 men). Below is the costs for currently available units. More units will be made available with technological advancement.

Warrior (axmen, slingers, clubmen): 100 Warriors for 1c
Specialized Warriors (swordsmen, spearmen): 100 S. Warriors for 2c
Chariots: 25 Chariots for 1c.
Archer: 50 Archers for 1c

Galleys: 5 Galleys for 1c. Most be built in a city.

As for warfare as a whole, I'd like you to be aware that because each turn is twenty-five years long, that is a considerable amount of time to topple a nation. Wars on the whole are a slow thing in this period, as real siege equipment and artillery do not exist. Nonetheless, a smaller nation is still in risk of being overrun in a single turn. Therefore you may find a contingency plan useful if you are near an aggressive neighbor. I will archive all contingency plans provided in your Private Messages for potential use.

Projects and Wonders*
World Wonders are wonders which you specifically and creatively design of any type, size, or shape, within reason of course. All World Wonders will provide Legacy by default, the larger the wonder, the more Legacy it will provide. Wonders can also increase the loyalty of your subjects, be used for defensive, purposes or most other purposes. I will say though, Wonders CANNOT materialize soldiers from nowhere. To create a wonder, simply post on the thread (and/or PM it) describing it, its location within your empire, and the effects you believe it should have. I will then assign a cost in wealth, manpower, and if necessary time (time only relevant for HUGE projects), and it will be listed underneath your stats.

Names and Places*
Feel free to name any and all cities, terrain features, and landmarks that appear on the map. With one exception, the first person to name something in their area is the person who's chosen name will appear on the map. The sole exception is the name of the world as a whole. For this, I hope that ya'll come to a popular consensus.

Technology and Advancement*
I have determined to abandon the typical "Stone Age" rhetoric when referring to technological levels. Instead, eras will be determined by a variety of factors of the nations at hand, and if you're the prime power among the continent, you may find that whole eras of civilization may become named after your people. Technological advancement will be measured and obtained by players meeting secret parameters which have been pre-defined. I will not share these parameters, allowing for player activity to fully determine technological advancement rather than moderator whim or fortune. I will provide in updates those smaller advances which do take place. The smaller advances will be made based on various other factors previously discussed.

Policies and Activity*
The rules listed above are not all you can do with your country. I fully endorse creativity, and if you find something interesting not provided for in the rules above, by all means, let me know. This includes any domestic policy for the home front or other efforts you'd like to make to appease or please your people. This also includes the creation of religions and the development of your society as a whole.

Cities and Expansion*
Cities will appear on the map, starting with your capital city and expanding as your population grows. You may found cities on your own based on stories about your nation, but remember, that cities need people to live in them, and city dwellers are generally those not in the army or farming the fields. If you decide to manually found a city, that means taking population from current cities and moving them to this new city. Additionally it costs 1c and 1f to found a new city. Otherwise, new cities will appear according to the mod. I hope you will name your cities, if not, I will take guesses based on your actions and the names you have given settlements so far.

Expansion can be a slow and painful thing. You can occupy plenty of territory, but if there's no people to live there, then there really isn't much point to it. My recommendation is to expand in one direction at a time if you're doing it peacefully.

Conquest is the way to quickly increase both your population and the size of your country on the map. If you go out a'conquering, you will be able to dramatically increase your power and ability. I will warn you however, that the people you conquer, even early on, may be quick to rebel against you, if given the chance to.

Stories and Tales*
Please, spin your yarns tell your stories. Stories from your empire could be passed down to each generation, and a well-written story will definitely earn you Legacy points for improving the culture of your nation. Stories are defined by me as historical text based writings, tales from the perspective of someone living in your nation, or anything else along those lines. The descriptions for creating wonders or your factions do not count as a story or tale.

Starting Map*
Note on the maps: the Political Map will only be available on the most recent update, please take that into consideration if you're creating a new nation.

Updates
Will be weekly at the least, and brief. I will do my best to keep things interesting, but I am leaving the story-telling and world-building to you guys. I think this is the best way to keep an NES going smoothly and not burn out the Mod.

*Almost Directly from Legacy of Civilization

Acadinula - Milarqi
Absolute Monarchy
Color: Green
Capital: Dargaan
Legacy:
Stability:
- Priesthood: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Nobility: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Farmers: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Citizens: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal

Cities:
Dargaan +5f
- Total Population: 29,000
- Farmers: 24,000 (Class D)

Raw Resources: None
Trade: None
Military: None
Wealth: None
Surplus: +5f
Wonders/Projects:

Algazan - NPC
Absolute Monarchy
Color:
Capital: Algazan
Legacy:
Stability:
- Dariro Family: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Magus: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Archeos: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Peasans: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Gnomers: Small/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Algazan: +1f
- Total Population: 18,000
- Farmers: 12,000 (Class C)
- Food Production: 19

Military:
- Standing Army: 450 Warriors
- Navy: None
Wealth:
Surplus: +1f
Wonders/Projects:

Kingdom of Charesh – NPC
Hereditary Monarchy
Color: Light Purple
Capital: Charesh
Legacy:
Stability:
- Nobility: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Merchants: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Peasants: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Charesh +2f
- Total Population: 34,000
- Farmers: 26,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 36

Wealth:
Surplus: +2f
Wonders/Projects:

Dreizig - Reiser
Simple Monarchy
Color:
Capital: Volks
Legacy:
Stability:
- The Guild for Freedom and Peace: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- The Wars’ Court: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Slaves: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Volks +1f
- Total Population: 23,000
- Farmers: 17,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 24
Schmidtt:
- Total Population: 13,000
- Farmers: 9,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 13

Wonders/Projects:

Khamoda - EQandCivfanatic
Absolute Monarchy
Color:
Capital: Iroforg
Legacy:
Stability:
- Bronbeara Family: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Wilhamme Family: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Dariro Family: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Gnomers: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Iroforg: +1c, +2f
- Total Population: 38,000
- Farmers: 25,000 (Class C)
- Food Production: 40
Kharan: +6f
- Total Population: 28,000
- Farmers: 21,000 (Class C)

- Standing Army: 550 Warriors
Wealth: +1c
Surplus: +7f
Wonders/Projects:

Krettan Empire - NPC
Despotic Authoritarianism
Color: Light Brown
Capital: Baghon
Legacy:
Stability:
- Overlords: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Farmers: Small/Weak/Loyal
- City of Baghon: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Baghon +7f
- Farmers: 29,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 41

Trade: +2c, -5f
- 1 Gold for 5f (trade with Selachima)
- 500 Warriors, 50 Chariots
Wealth: +2c
Wonders/Projects:

Land of the Holy One - bestrfcplayer
Monarchy (Dynastic)
Color: Red
Capital: The Palace
Legacy:
Stability:
- Apostles: Tiny/Strong/Loyal
- Middle Class: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Lower Class: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
The Palace
- Total Population: 14,000
- Farmers: 10,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 14

Surplus: None
Wonders/Projects:

Morwene - LDiCesare
Elected Monarchy
Color: Teal
Capital: Alonorne
Legacy:
Stability:
- Nobility: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Land Owners: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Landless Farmers: Small/Weak/Loyal
- Craftspeople: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Forbidden Ones (Tlanellor): Small/Weak/Wary

Cities:
Alonorne +1c, +1f,
- Total Population: 54,000
- Farmers: 35,000 (Class C)
- Food Production: 56
Alonorne: +1c, +2f
- Total Population: 37,000
Farmers: 27,000 (Class D)
Food Production: 38

Raw Resources: +1f
- 1 Salt (near Alonorne)
Military:
- Standing Army: 250 warriors
Surplus: +4f
Wonders/Projects:

Palamon – The Farow
Priest-Kingship
Color: Light blue
Capital: Palamon
Legacy:
Stability:
- Priests: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Merchants & Landowners: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Soldiers: Tiny/Weak/Wary
- Farmers: Small/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Palamon +1c
- Total Population: 35,000
- Farmers: 25,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 35
Caphin +1f
- Total Population: 21,000
- Farmers: 16,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 22
Opar +1f
- Total Population: 24,000
- Farmers: 18,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 25

Military: -2f
- Standing Army: 200 Warriors
- 1,500 Levies
Wonders/Projects:

Empire of Patagna - ZeletDude
Hereditary Monarchy
Color: Light Blue
Capital: Looha
Legacy:
Stability:
- Nobility & Priests: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Warriors: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Farmers: Tiny/Weak/Wary
- Draani: Tiny/Weak/Wary

Cities:
Looha +2f
- Total Population: 27,000
- Farmers: 21,000
- Food Production: 29

Wonders/Projects:

Sultanate of Qubuqtahar - mgsmuhammad
Theocratic Council
Color: Cyan
Capital: Shan-al-Jahaq
Legacy:
Stability:
- Takharist Priesthood: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Business-Owners (Middle Class): Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- City-Dwellers (Lower Class): Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Shan-al-Jahaq +4f
- Farmers: 27,000
- Food Production: 38

Surplus: +4f
Wonders/Projects:

Qasari Empire – NPC
Absolute Monarchy
Color: Gold
Capital: Remnan
Legacy:
Stability:
- Nobility: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Farmers: Small/Weak/Wary

Cities:
Remnan +1c, +1f
- Total Population: 41,000
- Farmers: 30,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 42
Tulun: +1f
- Total Population: 12,000
- Farmers: 9,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 13
Haminash: +1c, +3f
- Total Population: 31,000
- Farmers: 21,000 (Class C)
Tulun:
- Total Population: 15,200
- Farmers: 11,200 (Class D)
- Food Production: 16

Military: -3f
- Standing Army: 150 Warriors
- 2,100 Levies
Wonders/Projects:

Rodathic Thegnmarke – Lord of Elves
Absolute Monarchy
Color: Red
Capital: Gendholme
Legacy: 1
Stability:
- Gendholmic Nobles: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Gendholme: Small/Mediocre/Loyal
- Plains Farmers: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Gendholme +1c, +4f
- Farmers: 26,000(Class C)
- Food Production: 42

Raw Resources:
- Iron (near Gendholme)
- Standing Army: 400 Warriors, 200 S. Warriors, 25 Chariots
- Navy:
Surplus: +3f
Wonders/Projects:

Selachima - taillesskangaru
Confederation
Color: Sandy Yellow
Capital: Seigara
Legacy:
Stability:
- Rabaya: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Mascoya: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Scholar, Merchant, & Artisan Classes: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Gyanima: Small/Mediocre/Loyal

Cities:
Seigara +2f
- Total Population: 33,000
- Farmers: 25,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 35

Raw Resources: +2c
- 1 Gold (near Seigara)
Trade: -2c, +5f
- 1 Gold for 5f (trade with Krettan Empire)
Surplus: +7f
Wonders/Projects:

Sheol - Abaddon
Council of Elders
Color: Purple
Capital: Lof Yfel
Legacy:
Stability:
- Fishermen: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Ship builders: Tiny/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Lof Yfel +1c
- Total Population: 32,000
- Farmers: 23,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 32

Raw Resources:
- 1 Tin (near Lof Yfel)
Wonders/Projects:

Thelsam - NPC
Absolute Monarchy
Color:
Capital: Thelsam
Legacy:
Stability:
- Wilhamme Family: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Gnomers: Small/Weak/Loyal

Cities:
Thelsam: +2f
- Total Population: 21,000
- Farmers: 14,000 (Class C)
- Food Production: 23

Military:
- Standing Army: 400 Warriors
Wealth:
Wonders/Projects:

Timbe – Swissempire
Non-Hereditary Monarchy/Akun Lesni
Color: Green
Capital: Oken
Legacy:
Stability:
- Sapsin: Tiny/Mediocre/Loyal
- Splin: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Nocanop: Tiny/Weak/Loyal
- Ultivatat: Tiny/Weak/Wary

Cities:
Oken +1c, +1f
- Farmers: 28,000 (Class D)
- Food Production: 39
Brakeln: +2f
- Total Population: 12,000
- Farmers: 9,000 (Class C)
- Food Production: 14

- Standing Army: 150 Warriors
- 1,100 Levies
Wonders/Projects:

Map Section
This section will be updated with geographic map and political map each turn.

Geographic Key: (better descriptions forthcoming)

Dark Green - Marshland. This is highly watered lands prone to flooding, yet very fertile in its farming prospects.

Green - Grassland. Fairly frequent precipitation. This land can include dense forests and open fields. Equivalent of Mediterranean weather.

Yellowish Green - Continental Plains. These lands get less water from precipitation than grasslands, but if farmed right, can still be useful. Equivalent of Great Plains weather of USA.

Tan - Savannah Plains. Watered usually by only a few storms a year. This land is dotted with migrating herds of animals and is a poor location for non-advanced sedentary early civilization.

Yellow - Desert. More on this later.

White - Mountains. Alpine terrain is especially difficult to cross in the early ages. Yields very little food.

Updated as of Turn 0:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Raw Resources

Iron (I): required for building a strong army with iron-based weaponry.

Gold (A): adds +2c of wealth each turn to your civilization.

Tin (T): required to make bronze and makes city-dwellers more productive (lowers req. to 9,000 to get 1c for all cities)

Salt (S): preserve your meat much better, receive +2f

Gems (g): jewelry makes your people happy, keeps factions happy

Slaves:* can be used for farming, as soldiers, or building projects and only require half the food of normal citizens.

Note: Additional iron or tin does not give you extra bonuses. The affects of gold, salt, and gems are, however, cumulative.

*Slaves aren’t an actual resource on the map. You can get slaves either through trade or prisoners of war.

To Join

Step One: Please fill out template, replacing the paranthesis with your answer.

(Nation Name)
(Government)
Capital: (Capital)
Legacy:
Stability:
- (Faction 1)
- (Faction 2)
- (Faction 3)
- (...)
Cities:
(Capital)
- Total Population:
- Farmers:
- Food Production:
Wonders/Projects:

Step Two: Please provide at least 5 names (more is better!) from your language for each of the following:

Leaders
Cities
Mountains (or Mountain Ranges)
Rivers
Other Bodies of Water (lakes, bays, seas, oceans)

I will keep these on hand to use when I need. Of course, I encourage you to name your own stuff without my help in your own stories and orders. These are kept on as retainers though...a just-in-case scenario.

Step Three: A short description (different from background) about the traits of your people so I can use it when I do the first update (which covers around 50-75 years, and for which no orders are needed). Can be as short as one sentence.

Step Four: (optional) A short background on your people.

And now you may join if you wish! Please be as accurate as possible when describing your starting location. A map would be best, but not required. You may also choose a color, and I will try my best to accommodate (no guarantees!)

Sheol // Abaddon
Colour : Purple
Council of Elders
Capital: Lof Yfel
Legacy:
Stability:
- (Merchants)
- (Fishermen)
- (Ship builders)
- (Slaves)
Cities:
Lof Yfel
- Total Population:
- Farmers:
- Food Production:
Wonders/Projects:

Step Two: Please provide at least 5 names (more is better!) from your language for each of the following:

Leaders: Lof Yfel, Singo Aladia, Tri Yfel, Hi Yfel, Abyis Tonart
Cities: Sheol, Shayol, Sharnol, Heol, Heoal
Mountains: Uutarn
Rivers: Loeswarn
Other Bodies of Water: Granwaern (big water)

Step Three: Sheol is a island nation, increasingly reliant on the bountiful harvest the sea provides. The abundant resource provided from the shallow waters of the islands dominates their lives. They cook with it, construct with it, even dance around with it on solstice ceremonies. The people of Lof Yfel used to be fishermen and farmers living in small family groups and communities strung along the island chain. Growing outside pressures from barbarians and slavers caused them to call out for a leader who could lead them in successful resistance. Such a suitable leader was Szandor LaVey. A grand figure, gifted in the way of the word as much as the sword. He united the people, and together they drove the barbarian pirates far away from their lands. In one great victory (told many many times) he even managed to capture some as slaves! There is a small population living within the city, toiling away for the council. Their main task is aquaculture -harvesting the various farmed creatures - oysters, muscles,kelp. With main island secured the "nation" expanded over the other islands, with its numbers rapidly swelling. Now, as the community grows, the original city is cramped within the walls Szandor LaVey built, and beyond its safety farming families still risk raiders and brigands. The main population are now more adept on the sea, raiding rival communities. Their fleet is unrivaled in the known world. It is also becoming increasing well known as the raids are becoming more bold and targeting larger and larger communities.

Step Four: The above?

Religion: Animalistic Polytheism, with a bit of "Our-leader-is-god-on-earth" mixed in depending on the ruler at the time
Ideology: Defencive, cautiously trading

I would like to claim the juncture between the two rivers north of the floodplain.

Step 1:

Palamon
Priest-Kingship
Capital: Palamon
Legacy:
Stability:
- Priest Class
- Merchants/Land Owners
- Soldiers
- Farmers (Often do not own land but work on land of others)
Cities:
Palamond
- Total Population:
- Farmers:
- Food Production:
Wonders/Projects:

Step Two:

Leaders: Terq Essi, Oraq Tenu, Cara Iso, Paraq Coro, Utilin Saraq
Cities: Caphin, Saremin, Opar, Caragera, Manam
Mountains: Sitini (Range), Barou (mountain), Caparah (Range), Serou (Mountain), Aseri (Mountain)
Rivers: Avera, Severa, Teravera, Consevera, Alsinvera
Other Bodies of Water: Bauin (Lake), Vernauin (Lake), Lessioci (Bay), Salinocci (Bay), Capurnn (Ocean), Itaurnn (Ocean)

Step Three: The people of Palamon are very protective of the land in which they control believed to be given to them by their God. Mostly, peaceful unless provoked with most of the citizenry engaged in worshipping their God and farming the land on which they live. Priest-Kings are often considered the vessels for the messeges from their God and are considered the most sacred holdings of the city. Excess agricultural production is traded upriver or downriver for goods scarce on the grasslands. So the people are protective, religious, and agriculturalists.

Step Four: The history of the people of the small city of Palamon is shrouded in mystery. The only thing known is that they migrated south from the north. Originally herders, the people of Palamon learned agriculture from the people already settled along the banks. Much of the population transitioned from herders to agriculturalists during this period. As the city grew the elders grew to take on political and religious roles to direct the resources of the city. The people of Palamon believe that every group of people has their own God and that Gods exist so long as they are worshipped. Palamon believes in a single God who is the most powerful and merciful known in the land. Other Gods are considered weak and greedy so their worship is forbidden in the lands to an extent. So long as worship is limited to special designated zones by Priest-Kings where it is believed the power of their worship is drained or made useless.

Spoiler :

Preferred Color: Anything from green to turquoise would be fine with me

Can I have the mouth of the middle river on the right side of the map will post template later .

Sultanate of Qubuqtahar
Theocratic council
Capital: Shan-al-Jahaq
Legacy:
Stability:
- Takharist Priesthood
- Business-Owners (Middle Class)
- City-Dwellers (Lower Class)
- Farmers
Cities:
Shan-al-Jahaq
- Total Population:
- Farmers:
- Food Production:
Wonders/Projects:

Leaders: Jalal Takhar (Deceased), Zahir Shaq (current high priest), Imran Rachid, Rosham Hussein, Sahil Annan, Asif Bakir
Cities: (all prefixed with "Shan-al-") Jahaq, Qutar, Buran, Minesh, Fushat
Mountains: horsehockyaq, Butesh, Inal, Akkad, Lijal
Rivers: Mohash, Fisak, Eren, Kanal, Beten (Which the capital is founded beside)
Other bodies of water: Keralian, Ushalla, Mahat, Attan, Yrash (pronounced ee-rash)

Middle-eastern style theocracy following a theocracy of an Islam-esque religion.

Background:
Spoiler :
Following the preachings of Jalal Takhar, the people of Shal-an-Jahaq (Qubuqtahar's capital) split into two rough bands. The middle and working classes choosing allegiance with the upstart (whom many saw as the first Takharist Prophet) and the small percentage of town elders seeking to uphold the status quo (an atheist council of themselves).

Unfortunately for the leaders, the revolution was a crushing success, with people joining the Takharist forces marching on the town centre whilst the city guards refused to attack the mob (as, in most cases, it included many friends and family).

The elders were forced into exile, with those unable to flee falling prey to the (lack of) mercy of the mob.

Jalal then consolidated his powerbase, establishing a class for the priesthood (which had much more influence than the middle-classes, but significantly less than the state) and building many fine temples to allow proper worship for the "Sultan above" (the "Sultan" being revered so highly that his title is incorporated into the nation's name itself).

Unfortunately, Jalal passed away after 13 noble years of rule. A council of the most esteemed Takharist priests has been established to govern, however they are required by law to stand down upon the arrival of the next Takharist prophet.

The Sultanate of Qubuqtahar is noticeable due to it's complete lack of diversity of livestock: the residents often go through their entire lives without seeing a cow, pig, sheep or donkey. Instead, they rely on horses as beasts of burden, and, when they cannot get smaller mammalian prey (such as rabbits or otters) a source of food.

Llamas are also abundant, however they frolic freely through the streets, as they are seen as a sacred animal to the Takharists, annually providing the woolen fleeces which make Winter living far more bearable in the largely tree-less and, as a result, fairly windswept land.

Location: Whilst I was very tempted by the Gold (circled blue) I have decided relative safety comes before prosperity, and holding the only source of gold would only serve as greater incentive to attackers.

As such, i've chosen a different location (circled red). Hopefully i'll have plenty of time to set-up shop before any potential aggressors can expand through the Savannah.

EDIT: Preferred colour: Cyan

Attachments

• map-JNES.png
    map-JNES.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 55
Welcome all. I have attached a political map with the starting locations so far.

Attachments

• Starting Locations 1.png
    Starting Locations 1.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 64
Rodathic Thegnmarke

Government: Absolute monarchy, thanks to a confederation of city-states brought on by a strong warrior nobility.

Capital: Gendholme, City on the Rocks

Legacy:

Stability:

Factions
-Gendholmic Nobles, relatives or allies of the Royal House of Gendhol
-Citizens of Gendholme and outlying shires, middle-class farmers or business-owners
-Plains farmers, bottom of the class chain, at the mercy of the good will of the Gendholmic Nobles and the Royal Army's marshals

Cities
Gendholme(Capital)
Total Population:
Farmers:
Food Production:

Raw Resources: Iron
Trade:
Military:
Surplus:
Wealth:
Wonders/Projects:

Leaders
Thegn Aethelron of Gendholme - Living, royal house, head of state
Husgarn Kaddol Forenn of Estfell - Living, Husgarn of the Royal Army
Thegn-Regent Selle of Gendholme - Living, royal house, vice-head of state

A confederation of city-states ruled by a warrior noble caste centered in the economic and military capital of Gendholme. Many smaller suburbs of Gendholme owe their allegiance to the Thegn of Gendholme through ancestry and tradition, while the cities outside the region of Gendholme were once separate states, now brought low by the Royal Army and pressed into the Thegnmark by force of arms, destitution, and economic reliance on Gendholme. Though there is a marked favor of power on the side of Gendholme, it is nearly equally reliant on its neighbors for food.

Rivers: River Ebre-Gendh
Mountains: None to speak of
Other Bodies of Water: Theaic Sea
Cities: Gendholme(Capital), Estfell, Sudshire, Norshire, Kedolla, Faddenron

Background: The Rodathi were once a nomadic plains-people, wandering the fertile lands they did not yet possess the knowledge to till on horseback, in tribes and clans that warred against each other over hunting grounds and religion. However, with the introduction of farming, the various tribes settled into small communities or city-states that laid claim to patches of land throughout the Rodmarke, as it was called. Chief among these was the city-state of Gendholme, where grew a large upper caste of warrior families, steeped in a history of glorious battle. Thanks to Gendholme's position at the mouth of the River Ebre-Gendh when it flows out to sea, the Gendholmic nobles grew very wealthy and their city and its suburbs prospered. In contrast, the people of the plains had the soil needed to farm, but only a few the river needed for irrigation, and not the numbers to begin to irrigate the land manually, nor the materials. With the discovery of iron-crafting several hundred years before the beginning of the current calendar, the nobles of Gendholme moved quickly to crush the other city-states under their rule. Under the leadership of Hagarrn Gendhol, the Royal Army of the House of Gendhol which ruled over Gendholme crushed the various other states and formed the Rodathic Thegnmark, with Hagarrn at its head. Thanks to their military superiority over their constituents, the Gendholmics were paid tribute in the form of military service in the Royal Army, and crops to sell at port. Thus, Gendholme grew very wealthy, and the descendants of Hagarrn ruled over the Thegnmark in prosperity and wealth.

Preferred Color: Blood red or navy blue

Template to come (at work right now, place me near the S in the north, iff possible I would like to extend somewhat off the map)

Question: Basic governments then? No fancy councils and such as we are stone age?

Starting Area: I'd like a forested area. Perhaps upriver, away from the I mountains near the darkness. The fork is already taken, but the area near the darkness is free. If that area is not forested, then please place me in a forested area with a suitable source of water for irrigation.

Step One:

Timbe
Non-Hereditary Monarchy
Capital: Oken
Legacy:
Stability:
- Sapsin(Spiritual leaders/priests/civic figures/rulers)
- Splin (Hunting/Military Class)
- Nocanop (Merchant/Artisan/Urban class)
- Ultivatat (Lower class farmers, planters)
Cities:
Oken
- Total Population:
- Farmers:
- Food Production:
Wonders/Projects:

Step Two:

Leaders:(word for Political Leader=Akun, Word for Military Leader=Tikku, Word for Spiritual leaders=Sapsi) Thickei, Lesni, Metsä, Šķembam, Madeir
Cities: Braklen, Wealdlen, Sopclen, Rovglen, Kiglen
Mountains (or Mountain Ranges): Monbwa, The Grompless, Dagor Mountain, Boscage Mountains, Coppice Peaks,
Rivers: Arborese, Ravinbwa, Woiena, Miskopes, Karopa
Other Bodies of Water (lakes, bays, seas, oceans): The Vodgo, Amugo, Vedensa, Daboskues, Folha Chuva

Step Three: The Timbe(pronounced Tim-Bay) are an earthy, forest dwelling people. They worship the Earth Mother, Groma, and seek to live in harmony with the land. They do not clear or burn forests but rather cultivate them and integrate them into their villages, farms and social practices. They are an artisanal and agricultural primarily and are urban in areas of worship and trade.

Step Four:
Origin of the Timber People (History until Now):
Modern historians trace Timbe back to early hunter gatherers who followed huntable game up the Arboresee and found an environ around the area where in flowed from the Vedensa. Their belief system found its genesis in a shared reverence for the forest and earth. The rise of grove farming fruited trees(primarily the persimmon and the loquat) and cultivating Boaraiz (OOC: Rutabagas, but I've never really liked that name) allowed sections of the culture to settle down, with its skilled hunters maintaining enormous areas (pitkä) full of wild boar, deer and other fauna which they hunted. The ascendance of a settled people with surplus food led to a rise of a spiritual class, the Sapsin. Sapsi began as hermit/druid-like figures, but villages would often build homes and provide food for Sapsi who agreed to bless and tend to their village. As a sedentary class of Sapsi formed, with a common system of beliefs and a hierarchy headquartered in the city of Oken, they realized the need for a unified state to facilitate the defense of the Timbe people and the collection of sacrifice to sustain them. Out of that need was born the state of Timbe, ruled by the Akun, a monarch chosen from the Ultivatat by the Sapsin to rule.

Government of Timbe

The government is ruled de jure by the Akun as a monarchy, but is de facto run by the Sapsin. The Akun is chosen by the Sapsin from a random family among the Ultivatat. Militarily he is supported by the Splin, who are told by the Sapsin that they must above all protect Groma's creation and that the Akun is an extension of Groma's will made manifest. The Akun appoints from within the Splin a Tikku who acts as their leader in matters concerning them and marshals Splini for defense purposes. Governance is handled by the Sapsin though, as they are in constant communication with The Okensapsi and levy what amounts to taxation through the process of Ultivatat, Splin and Nocanope making tributes of food and goods. Additionally, edicts are carried out through their network.

Factions of Timbe
Check back soon!

Religion of Timbe

Check back soon

Architecture of Timbe

Check back soon.

Color if Possible - Forest Green.

Why is everyone so keen in starting up in the top corner with me!?

Why is everyone so keen in starting up in the top corner with me!?

The top corner is home to grasslands/forests, as well as a source of iron. That, in my mind, would explain it.

The marshland.

People are willing to risk alot for the potential benefit the extra fertility could net them.

Heck, that's the main reason why I didn't try for a place there.

I realised it was going to become a kill-zone.

Where I am will set me off to a much slower start, but i'm less likely to have to endure a baptism by fire.

Top Bottom