Join City

MeteorPunch

#WINNING
A friend of mine who is a good dg-diety player has a strategy which I would like comments on.

Basically once sanitation comes around, mid to long distance cities are turned into settlers and workers and joined to the core cities to get the most effective population max immediately after a hospital is built. This is around the time factories are built too, so these cities are instantly full-fledged war production centers.

His favorite civ is Ottoman and can now build Sipahis in core cities every other turn.

Do you think this has much value? I guess if the outside cities aren't doing much, this would help greatly to overcome dozens of turns of needed growth to get the core running optimally.

It's a good idea. I usually do this in the middle ages too, bringing my core cities to size 12 after they have aqueduct and marketplace.

My outside cities always build workers. If they need any improvements I rush them.

I recently discovered the worker on the outside strategy. It is very elegant. But should you keep the core cities at size twelve before hospitals or should you bleed off the pop points so you dont waste any food? Or arrange tiles so size twelve cities produce hardly any surplus food.

My cities go to eleven;)

budweiser said:
I recently discovered the worker on the outside strategy. It is very elegant. But should you keep the core cities at size twelve before hospitals or should you bleed off the pop points so you dont waste any food? Or arrange tiles so size twelve cities produce hardly any surplus food.

My cities go to eleven;)

I like the 11 strategy. That's what I do when I remember to do it. A size 12 city can produce a worker in 1 turn.

MeteorPunch said:
I like the 11 strategy. That's what I do when I remember to do it. A size 12 city can produce a worker in 1 turn.

I didnt know that, guess Im that much of a newb. :blush: But pretty nice strategy. :king:

I suppose it works well if you've built a loose build that leaves lots of unworked tiles in your core at size 12. Or if you've got lots of wheat and want size 20 sicientist parks. Though at that point in the game, I'd rather have all those workers build rails. Maybe once the rails are done they can go back into the cities to simulate the mass migration to urban centers during the industrial revolution.

Maybe a tight-build version of this strategy could involve claiming lots of very-loose-build cities in the early expansion, then spamming settlers from your outer corrupt towns to found cities in the gaps once the expansion is over. Cultural borrders might be an issue if you don't have the ToA, given the computer's propensity to sneak cities into those very same gaps.

All depends on the terrain. With some damn good terrain and a few mines you can turn out workers with a size 6 city no problem. Its a numbers game at the end of the day. If you can keep churning those workers out you can produce more and more cities that doe the same as the last. I would call this the snowball effect its dificult to ge tstarted but with each one set up the next one is even easier.

This is especially useful for metros near mountains. You can convert your mined grasslands to irrigated ones and join a worker to work a mined mountain. The total sheilds and commerce increase while the extra food stays the same. There are other scenarios of course, but this is one I always look for. Just make sure to join native workers (since you pay for them) and keep the slaves doing the work (since they are free).

This worked very well on my recent 20k game. My 20k city, at size 12, builds Shakes. Instantly it is up to size 20 and gaining the equivalents of 8 more mined mountains. Very, very useful I must say.

Top Bottom