Jungle camp OP?

Hussarknight

Warlord
Jungles with jungle camps on them usually have 4 food, 1 hammer and 2 gold per tile. Since they are available from the early first era they have higher yields than any other regular improvement. So doesn't that make jungle camps a bit OP? Why have they been made so strong?

I wouldn't know myself, but my only thought is because otherwise a jungle-choked city would be more or less helpless in the early goings. Don't see similar love for tundra-locked starts though, so it's only my guess.

I thought they got nerfed at some point though?

It's mostly meant to encourage you to not burn your Jungles too early. Jungles in AND are not as bad as Jungles in BTS; Swamps are the bad terrain feature that you have to put up with early on until you reach the technology necessary to remove them (Canals). Also, Jungle Camps do not improve with technologies, while other improvements get multiple stages of improvement. Furthermore, improvements that spread out their bonus over multiple yield types need to have a higher total yield compared to focused improvements (Farm, Mine, Cottage) to stay competitive. This is why Watermill has a bit more total yield than other improvements that are possible on riverside tiles.

I wouldn't know myself, but my only thought is because otherwise a jungle-choked city would be more or less helpless in the early goings. Don't see similar love for tundra-locked starts though, so it's only my guess.

I thought they got nerfed at some point though?

Afforess took away one point of food and one point of riverside commerce back in rev762. Then I moved 1 point of food from a bonus at Herbalism to an always-on bonus because it didn't seem worth the extra complexity and made Jungle Camps upgrade to Forest Preserves.

I too feel like the Jungle Camp improvement tends to be overpowered, especially when playing a leader with the Nomad trait (+1F +1H from Jungle Camps).

Seems like people's opinions on it would be depend on their settings. I play bonus resources, extra grass and extra rivers so I already have lots of food in my cities. Extra jungle food doesn't change the way I hit max happy bonus limits in cities.

Spoiler :
heres something OP for you guys, horse pasture flood plains on top plains tile with financial trait. :w00t:

Last edited:
I'm studying Python programming in-depth now (not ready for prime time modding yet and wasn't originally purposed for modding but for future job opportunities but still will be there eventually).
Anyway, I wonder why not have if statement set up differing values for terrain/improvements depending on what mapscripts are generated?

Anyway, I wonder why not have if statement set up differing values for terrain/improvements depending on what mapscripts are generated?
Errr... What exactly do you mean?

Errr... What exactly do you mean?

Maybe something like this pseudocode:

(don't remember how to HTML away this, sorry.)

if terrain > 5 food:
reduce Jungle food

Or something similar. I hadn't really looked at mapscripts that give extra yields as another person here describe about his or her Jungle Camp going over limit because of standard Game Options tweaks.

Now if it was modding in the files themselves, then sure you are on your own but these mapscripts in Custom Game Option or Start New Game, will have options to change how strong terrains or resources are...

Just guessing here...

Top Bottom