just bought BNW, Need advices

davidoux

Chieftain
I played 70h with Civ5 vanilla when it released, got bored quickly;

Now just bought BNW + all DLCs, what is the best way to play it ? :

do you recommend gameplay change mods (communitas .. ) + interface mods or playing BNW vanilla
is ok ?

are the scenario worth playing ?

How do I know my level and how do I know I can advance to next difficulty level ?

Thanks

Welcome to CFC! :)

The best way to play Civ is the same as the best way to drink your morning coffee. It must be enjoyable - the rest is totally up to you. Personally I am not into mods, so I can't give any advice about that. There are no 'must have' mods really, and most of the discussions here focus on vanilla experience. If you want to enhance it, I am sure other people will be able to recommend a few good mods.

As for difficulty, if you have previous Civ experience and/or you got bored with vanilla due to it being too easy, I say start at emperor and see how it goes. Otherwise start at king. I wouldn't recommend going below prince though. You receive bonuses that teach you bad habits. Of course, whenever you have questions/need help with understanding game mechanics or just want to discuss strategy, you are more than welcome to share that with us.

Good luck and happy civving! :)

do you recommend gameplay change mods (communitas .. )
In general, absolutely. But keep them for later - play the unmodded game first and find out what you like and what you don't like, then look for mods that make the game more like you like it and try full-conversions such as communitas to compare them with the normal game.

If you start modding the game asap you essentially lower your total playtime. BNW is a good game that plays very different from vanilla or even the communitas mod pack which is a nice hybrid between vanilla and bnw.

Interface-mods like Enhanced User Interface or info-mods like Infoaddict are different of course - I'd suggest to use them, they make the game feel much better.

I agree with Ryika, I use a lot of mods myself, but start out playing the game as it is to find out what aspects you dislike and want to have change. Exception may be interface mods as these don't interfere with the game itself - for instance, I really like some of the top panel mods that add a Great Person counter, a clock, etc. to the top panel, and the Trade Overview mod is also indispensable for me.

I prefer to play without mods, though I did get one UI mod, just to make it easier to find info.

And as mentioned, try to enjoy the game. Everyone is different, but for me, I believe there should be a time period of trial and error before you even come to the forums for advice. It's a lot of fun experimenting and learning new things on your own, then when things start getting frustrating or boring, come to the forums to for help and it opens up a new world of exploration.

There are mods and there are mods.

There are several interface mods that are must-haves, especially for a beginner. I'd suggest quick turns, info addict and numbers for diplomacy (don't remember exact name). The 1st tool makes the game much faster when you hit the "end turn" button. The 2nd one allows you to glimpse into things that are usually hidden and people need to guess them or discover intuitively. The last one will tell you exactly how important or how costly certain diplomatic actions are. It just assigns a number to all diplomatic modifiers and lets you know what actually is going on.

Mods described above don't change any game mechanics. They just give you more info and in some ways, it makes the game easier. However, an experienced player knows these things anyway so it's not that much of a help.

The 2nd kind of mods changes game's mechanics. I haven't found so far a single mod that wouldn't ruin the game entirely. This includes new map scripts that make prettier, more realistic maps but completely unbalance gameplay. Use them only if you're bored with the original game and you are never going to play multiplayer. All "rebalance" mods are tailored to someone's personal game style so even though they claim their mods are neutral or make the game more "honest", it's obviously not true. They most certainly believe their own claims but it's simply not true.

If you feel like experimenting, there are also mods that expand gameplay by adding to it additional eras (the prehistoric era mod is great and its author really listens to users of his creation, thus making the mod much better), or completely rebuilding the game by adding fantasy civilizations, custom maps and pretty much doing similar work to the team behind Civilization: Beyond Earth. For me this is a completely different category of mods because we're not talking about changing the game, but we are getting a more-less new game.

To sum it up, do search for interface enhancers but avoid mods that change rules of the game.

And when it comes to difficulty setting, play at king on a standard/continents map with something like Babylon, Poland or Ethiopia. If you win, move up to emperor. If you are defeated, experiment with king some more. In my personal opinion, everyone who has any experience whatsoever with the game should be able to beat king difficulty easily, provided that circumstances are favorable. Emperor is a good learning setting and the real game is played on immortal. Deity is rather annoying and forces you to use sleazy tactics. After the initial rush of beating the game on the highest difficulty, it's not really enjoyable. Immortal makes the game hard enough for people who don't like abusing certain game's mechanics and on deity one simply restarts the game if he spawns near Hiawatha or that russian cyka.

The 2nd kind of mods changes game's mechanics. I haven't found so far a single mod that wouldn't ruin the game entirely.
While you are obviously entitled to have your own oppinion, as is everyone, I just have to say, I completely disagree with this. There are game-play changing mods that DO make the game both better and more balanced imo. This involves mods that affect policies (Honor, lol?), beliefs (Religious Settlements, lolol?) and units (Pikeman vs. Swordsman) to name some.

IF you get bored then go online to multiplayer.. You will see may characters online there that can make the game seem entertaining. If you find the game difficult then lower the difficulty.. If you find the game boring then don't play the game. Find another game that is different. Find a difference.

When I first started playing BNW I made the mistake of not building caravans and then cargo ships early on. They generate a lot of gold and setting up good routes is key. Or using them to grow cities or help build wonders. They are vital to the creation of a strong empire.

The tourism mechanic is interesting but slightly cumbersome. If you go for cultural be sure to arrange your artifacts/art/music to maximize theming bonus. When I first did it I didn't notice that open borders give +33% to tourism (makes sense, of course), so having open borders is important and not always easy to get with some civs.

You can get a lot of social policies, especially via musician culure 'bombs', that opens up a number interesting policy ways to play. Another point is that picking order, freedom, autocracy matters a lot to the AI, as in alliances basically get set based on ideologies (always was the case but seems much moreso in BNW).

I would use smartAI mod since it gives a nice boost to the rather poor combat ai.

Top Bottom