Kendrick vs Drake

Kendrick has just dropped yet another one called "Not Like Us". Musically incredible. He's making them in like a day. Vocal techniques I have not heard in music, with range. I thought the first guy voice was a feature for a moment, nope just him. And there's no coming back from the things he's saying.

I don't think it can end well for every party involved. There might be winners, but there will be losers.

You want what sits inside your preferences, cool. I can't save you.
I tried one more time just for you Hygro. Made it to 5 minutes, the beat changes twice thusfar but never good and where is the chorus??? I keep waiting for a chorus, it's just monologue word after word after word, a lil bit of inflection play "don't know nothing bout that" but yeah it's still bad sorry.

Reminds me of that Bojack episode where he just monologues about his mom for the whole episode. People loved that episode but to me it was just so lazy and tedious.

Nothing "sits inside my preferences", they flow like a river and absorb new stuff all the time. But musically, deliverywise and lyricwise I don't like it, I don't like celebrating cattiness (even tho I posted hit em up I don't particularly like it either, not even in tupacs top 20, it's just better than this)

Anyway, it's a bit silly to put a diss track above critique.

haverhill, uk, hip-hop capital of the world
I'm from New York City, which yes is the actual capital of hip hop

Not that it matters. Got an international playlist from with rappers from Mali to Mongolia.

Last edited:
I don't think it can end well for every party involved. There might be winners, but there will be losers
The court of public opinion doesn't matter bro, Drake is set for life.

This is not a gladiator fight it's reality TV (reality YouTube), when everyone gets bored of this schtick they'll be back on a track together

the best part of the Beatles’ She’s so Heavy is the infinity vamp at the end, you know the one that stops abruptly. It just keeeeeps going and it’s all you ever want.

Don’t make me summon Angst to explain progressive music.

Anyone who goes deep into dance music will come to a few road forks, they are all good options but one is techno. Techno is one of the deepest and richest and most sonically interested and exciting. Very complex, very artistic, but grounded in its dance purpose. But to anyone who doesn’t “get” it, it’s the stupidest, dullest monotony.

Kendrick is technoing in rap. But at a truly high level.’

Euphoria starts at 122 bpm in 3/4 time. It ends the section of and switches from organic and slow and sober into straight Super Nintendo guile’s theme on top of a roasted 808 giving us a double timed 140. By my count, total tracks this far up the greater computer music side of pop music in the past 15 years to feature a time signature switch is 0 and total popular tracks in 3/4 time at all was that one track by The Weeknd almost 10 years ago. But these are just details among a whole.

And as I wrote before, every time you think he’s going to land a verse he links it to his next one, he doesn’t stop. Do you have the energy to keep up? This is techno. This a party. This is where the DJ says f your preconceptions we are in greatness now. Shrooms will help.

You don’t have to like it. There’s a million and one things to like you said it yourself. I have found value in changing myself, I used to hate rap like completely, and it took effort. But I won’t for all things even when those things are good and true.

But on this one it’s like, I obviously “see it”, im explaining, quite unnecessarily, how it’s vocally really interesting, so there’s no benefit in telling me it’s monotonous because I literally and physically hear how it isn’t, distinctly and controlled by the artist for effect.

At this point however I don’t want to make my songs experiential association trying to explaining it defense. It’s a great song.

But it’s also in context of a greater rap battle that feels fundamentally different from those before it.

Count no man happy until his death.

Drake’s response just came out. Too juicy for spoilers. Gori this is not the event to snail on. The timing is now part of the show.

Yes, I've felt that, especially recently when you've talked about Kendrick dropping tracks day after day. That has to be part of the experience he wants, a kind of fusillade. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the prompt. But you youngsters are natives to this stuff, whereas for me it's an object of study.:old:

Last edited:
Listening to Drake makes me feel like I’m playing the resistance listening to two people accuse others of being the spy. The question is did he plant the rumors? Would it have mattered? But if not why go that route?

Let us just pray for peace in our time.

So I got as far as Push Ups and Taylor Made Freestyle. Just a first listen to each. They're both very good. It feels to me as though the taunt that's at the basis ofTaylor Made Freestyle is what really charged Kendrick with the aggression that (thanks to this thread) I know is coming, because he taunts him with being slow in composing. We're all waiting around for you to say something; by the time you do, it will probably feel dated. (in sync with the best line from Seven Minute Drill: I can divide).

Still not even to Euphoria yet, in other words. Sorry, Hygro I'll trade in being au courant for really relishing each rap in its own right. Cuz there's a lot in each one so far. Haven't even done justice to Seven Minute Drill.

Last edited:
I've made it as far as Euphoria. Love the range of things he can do with his voice. Don't understand a word of it.

Has there ever been a diss album? I figure that's where this has to end. Maybe a two-album set.

Last edited:
It’s funny, people are saying the same thing. I wish somehow they would agree to release all of it including the Tupac one as a singular album. There’s a YouTube version without the pac one that has almost all of it in order, it’s like 45 minutes long!

I've made it as far as Euphoria. Love the range of things he can do with his voice. Don't understand a word of it.

Has there ever been a diss album? I figure that's where this has to end. Maybe a two-album set.

*ahem* Rumours

Top Bottom