Khazad Mines - Can't be pillaged? Barbarians disagree

Goodgimp

Warlord
Is this a bug or a feature that was removed? Please let me know, and if it's an (unknown) bug I'll add it to the bug thread. I apologize if this is old news.

The "Sid's Tip" for the Dwarven Worker states that their mines have a greater chance of revealing resources and cannot be pillaged. However, this does not seem to be the case, since I've watched several of my mines get pillaged by barbarians.

So my question is, is this a bug, not implemented yet, or implemented and then removed?

Thanks!

At one time, before the current effects of earth mana, this was the case. Dwarven mines were a separate improvement that could not be razed and had a greater chance of getting a resource. This went away quite some time ago. Looks like the tip needs updated.

Removed. Increased resource finding chance is now tied to earth mana, and un-pillageable dwarven mine is out.

EDIT: He was faster ;)

Thats really old. Dwarven mines were removed early in Fire, iirc. Earth mana now makes mines (and other improvements with a change of finding resources) have a higher chance of discovering resources.

Dwarven workers do have a higher work rate than normal workers, who are faster than elven workers, but they aren't as god as mud golems.

I always hated Dwarven mines, since they were often build where you would later find a resource they could not harness; thus, you were unable to ever get said resource.

I wasn't aware of the work speed differences (other than mud golems), MC, very cool.

So how does the work speed go?

1. Mud golems
2. Dwarven workers
3. Normal workers
4. Elven workers

Is that correct? Where do Goblin Workers fit in? Are there any other worker types?

Goblins are the same as captured workers in Vanilla, I believe, so at 5 on your list. Slaves probably fit in at the same level.

I always hated Dwarven mines, since they were often build where you would later find a resource they could not harness; thus, you were unable to ever get said resource.

What resources can you discover on hills that you can't see from the beginning which require an improvement other than a mine to harvest?

What resources can you discover on hills that you can't see from the beginning which require an improvement other than a mine to harvest?

Horses?
Mana? (after rites of Oghma)

They have a certain strategic purpose.

I don't think I've ever seen horses on a hill.

As for Mana, it would be easy to change the ritual code such that it doesn't appear on dwarven mines.

I think dwarven mines were taken out because they were causing the AI issues. I don't think that it could handle two different improvement that did the same thing (which is not the same as elvish farms. Those are normal farms that can be built in different terrain). I would be nice if they could find a way to put them back, as being unpillagable could be pretty handy.

Sheep are common on hills, as are marble. I believe that at one time wineries were made available by a tech that isn't a mining prereq, because I remember having my automated workers build mines over the grapes quite often.

You could make it so that Khazad mines upgraded like cottages, and the highest level could be unpillagible.

I've highlighted the part of my question which demonstrates that nobody has answered it yet.

I've highlighted the part of my question which demonstrates that nobody has answered it yet.

Automated workers care not. Leave those imbeciles on automate, and they will destroy your empire from the inside out like an insidious plague.

I have no sympathy for those who choose to build unpillageable mines atop non-mine reasources, nor for those who automate workers capable of producing unpillageablt mines.

I don't think that there are any. The resources that are revealed by techs are metals (copper, iron, and mithril). The resources that randomly pop up with Earth mana are all minerals (metals, gold, and gems). So to answer your question, I think that all the resources that are revealed or discovered later require mines.

The only exception that I can think of is when you cast the Rights of Ogmah ritual to create new mana nodes. Some of the newly discoered mana may pop up under existing mine improvements.

Magister stated that in a previous version (ie - back when these existed) you could get mining before you revealed Wine (or maybe he just meant before you could properly improve it. In which case comments about automated workers stand), and Wine could appear on a hill. Plus there used to be a Stone Resource in the game, which may not have been immediately visible, but would require a quarry.

To answer your question for the CURRENT game (where this isn't even an issue): None.

Wine was always visible, just needed Monarchy to improve it at first. Stone was always visible.

The only resources which have ever been revealed with the discovery of techs, in all of FfH's history, are metals, horses, and (for a brief period) mana.

I don't recall ever seeing horses on hills, but mana shows up on hills, but mana is a special case, anyway, because for a long time you couldn't build anything on it but a road, unless you had an adept.

They were removed because the AI couldn't handle them. end of story.

Also the AI built them over the top of resources they didn't have immediate access to, thus cutting off that resource for all time.

Top Bottom