Kiershar's guide to Multiplayer Warmongering

Nice guide. I love warmongering in Multiplayer too and i can see that you know what you are talking about :)

But let me add something, BtS has influenced warmongering as much as the rest of the game, and I can maybe add my own experiences

1. "Tribal war" is usually a bad idea in FFA games. The odds to win it before construction are low, and it will cost a lot.
My advice: Try to find an opponent before he finds you! Maybe you can get a map of another players capital from a hut, or you see a colored line on the horizon. Noone expects an attack from a player that he hasnt yet made contact with. :king: The optimal size of your army increases slowly with the game turn when you reach his border. You can win with 4-5 chariots/Jaguars with Woodsman II/Impis, but with onky axemen and spears I would use 6-7 of them. But it also depends on the way between the capitals

2. Having rushed a neighbor eary in the game, you are facing the next problem: The other players around you have an advance, because if the neighbor were still alive, he'd now be settling his area. This land is unused until someone claims it, and this one should be you! When you know what you're doing you can found as many citys as you like. 10, maybe? thats a good number for a small pangea map! :p This leads to the next topic:

3. Organized trait and courthouses
Courthouses are much stronger in BtS because they produce espionage points! When you can see what another player researches, you could as well look into his mind without getting much more information! Does he try to get liberalism first? Or is he beelining for his UU? Its very nice to be aware of other peoples plans. Any other information can be won with the spy unit.
I advice not to use the espionage slider. Research is more important.
To get cheaper upkeep and cheaper courthouses, the organized-trait is very nice. For big empires it is much stronger then financial :)

4. Modern warfare
If your empire is too expensive to wage another war during the middle age and the renaissance, the most interesting age is coming to town: The Industrial age!
If you are running a Cottage economy you will modernize your empire in the great anarchy: Change to universal suffrage, free speech, emancipation, mercantilism (or free market if people are willing to trade with you) and organized religion (if you have a religion)
The technology that wins you the game is assembly line:

Usually the research way is:
1. Corporation
2. Replaceable parts
3. Chemistry
4. Steam power (welcome to the industrial age ;) ) start building levees, find coal
5. Congrats, you have reached assembly line :goodjob:
Next tech target is medicine, research fascism before if you want the general
As soone as you have Steam power, build factorys and coal plants like mad!
Grin happily while you see your Industry graph rising :D
Change to environmentalism and theocracy as soon as you have researched medicine and make infantrys. Any opponent who has no factorys and coal plants by this time is definitely dead :goodjob:
If more then 2 players are still alive by this time you should beeline to tanks next and try to spy out what the other players are doing: Are they a danger? Do they beeline to nukes (You need rocketry and fission for them) Do they try to win a cultural victory? :)mad: )
Then wage carefully who you make your target :) .

Last but not least: The more big, bad and evil you look, the more unlikely are other players to attack you. You will rarely want other players to do that :)

Nice guide to hack and slash blazing warfare. I play mostly larger maps with sometimes slower speeds(pitboss games), when i play mp so not everything is applicable. It is more important to keep up in the land race and the fastest way to get land isn't always though war. Some of the points the above poster mention apply even more to larger and hence longer lasting games. I don't think tribal warfare is a good idea on any map larger than small(or unless your continent is small of course), as it doesn't gain you as much as just rushing or settling the land instead. If you choke/tribal war while everyone else are expanding in the early game you will fall behind. Sure organized is stronger in bts but it still can't match up to financial most of the time..

Maybe it's just me, but Civ multiplayer is alot like Starcraft multiplayer.

Wreck the other guy's economy...

Wow, thanks!

Just what I've been looking for. I cheat too much in SP, so for me I think MP is the only way to stay "clean". Yet, I still want an edge. I think I just found it. ;)

URSExelcior, iirc StarCraft is Sid Meier's favorite game of all time. For me it's CivDOS and StarCraft. :)

edit: Damn, just realized my computer doesn't like MP. Just way too laggy (and it's definitely not my connection, as it's 100Mbit fiber dedicated to this computer alone). It may very well be the connection of other people though. I think I'm going back to SP.

Hi guys,

I usually play Large maps (or larger) in MP and axemen's 1 movement point makes them almost useless in Quick games. It seemed that focusing on religions or cottages early really paid.

I'm pleased that this got bumped. It's a great article.

I would like to add that Ivory is a very important resource in games like these.

A spectacular gambit on some map formats is the 5 warrior rush. The build:

Settle a 2 hammer tile if possible.

1. Warrior x5
2. Attack.

If they didn't tech archery first, went worker early, etc etc, they're toast. If they see this coming or massed warriors themselves, YOU'RE toast, although you don't exactly HAVE to attack if they also massed warriors.

I advise against doing this with inca because people will expect it. Much less so if you pick someone like stalin or hammy...aggressive does help here because something like 5 warriors vs 2 warriors and 20% defense the 10% will help, although if you catch them with their pants pulled down you can do it with anybody of course.

If it fails...well...you might come back if your opponents are garbage, and if they aren't...there's always the next game ;).

The warrior rush probably would work well in MP but if my friends are physically sitting next to me and CIV was our plan for the next few hours, I wouldn't dare!

With non-LAN games, it's probably a good idea though. Thanks!

::always a pleasure to bumb good articles :goodjob: ::

I would like to mention Hatshepsut of Egypt also as a good leader, for the follow reasons:

-You can get the UU out very early, her starting techs are the wheel and agriculture. You only have to research AH and you can research that right away.

-The war chariot is pretty powerful, strength 5 vs 4 for a normal chariot. The 2 move is also useful

-She's cultural (pro's already explained), she's spiritual so you can switch to slavery without anarchy.

Ok, when you encounter Pacal you might have a problem.

How does this help someone improve overall skill would be my question?

Hello guys...wonderful thread this one is :)

Anyway I have a question regarding the chariots and the war chariots...when I played against my friend and he attacked my axeman with his chariots somehow he managed to loose every time he did that...I tought that chariots had a 100% attack vs axemen, can somebody please explain this to me?

We were both speechless when we saw this tragic incident...:p

PS: J-man tnx for the strategy idea :)

Hello guys...wonderful thread this one is :)

Anyway I have a question regarding the chariots and the war chariots...when I played against my friend and he attacked my axeman with his chariots somehow he managed to loose every time he did that...I tought that chariots had a 100% attack vs axemen, can somebody please explain this to me?

We were both speechless when we saw this tragic incident...:p

PS: J-man tnx for the strategy idea :)

You're sure you didn't had a spearman in your stack? You weren't Greece (axeman UU with defense against mounted) or maybe your axeman were on a forested hill?

I actually don't remember the details but I remember my friend being really pissed of because of this :) He lost like 3 chariots to my one axeman if I'm not wrong, we even checked the civilopedia for explanations.

I'm telling you it was weird...it was just a regular axeman vs a regular chariot.

I mean when you guys play, if you attack a chariot on a open ground (or vice versa) what are your chances of winning the battle?

And really, can someone come up with a quck list of most important things that you need to remember when playing an online game...it would really help, tnx.

chariot has 100% ATTACK only vs axeman, no defensive bonuses; thus attacking axemen has the upper hand.
but if he attacked w/ healthy chariots vs axeman and loss 3 (on plain field), when i am not quote sure that could ever happen.

chariot has 100% ATTACK only vs axeman, no defensive bonuses; thus attacking axemen has the upper hand.
but if he attacked w/ healthy chariots vs axeman and loss 3 (on plain field), when i am not quote sure that could ever happen.

It could, it is just *extremely*, *ridiculously* improbable.

This is a great guide. I'm a new player getting ready for my first MP game. I've used this guide a few times on single player games to get to know it. I had some trouble following it while playing in single player, so I took the content of the guide and created it in outline form. Makes it much easier for me to use while I'm practicing in single player mode.

I thought I'd post it here incase anyone else would like to use it.

Attachments

• WarMongerOutLine.doc
    78.5 KB · Views: 272
Top Bottom