Lamest/worst 90s guitar band?

Pearl Jam. I'm not convinced that those who actually claim to like them aren't incredible masochists hellbent on sharing their love of pain with others.

they just scream dad rock. i never understood their appeal either. they have some good songs, but it's never their big hits.

Spoiler :

my vote for worst 90s band [sic] goes to semisonic.

In general, the quality of music went down really fast at the end of the 80's.
House and other highly repetitive electronic crap mainly dominated the 90's.
Any guitar band from the 90's would have been better than "music" like in the spoiler.

Spoiler :

The OPs song stuck to my mind as one of the most calculating songs of the 90s, and there was no lack of them. Here's some more:

I do like the Lemon Tree song and much of Pulp's production though (and some Suedes too, but I once saw them in a festival and they were really lame live).

Some of Blur song are quite cool and great, like Coffee and Tv, beetlebum, charmless man, etc. Those who say all of Blur are song are garbage possibly just cause by sentiment that not really objectively measure or maybe they are just a hardcore fan of Oasis :D

Bad and lame song in 90's? mmm.... in 90's the band I don't like most was hanson, but it was a teenager nonsensical hate coming from my side, but I guess right now I think they are not that bad and not really that 'boyband', I'm just too cruel that time.

I will just post a very nostalgic song of 90's instead the song that I think lame, because I cannot think any of it now:

Link to video.

I was going to go with Hootie and the Blowfish because it's such a stupid name, but.. I have to admit, they actually have musical talent and the songs don't sound so bad in terms of raw musicalness. That one incredibly popular song they have has been drilled too much into my head, and I hate it, but if I'm going to be honest, there is a lot worse stuff out there.

Bush X was horrible, but has already been mentioned. (I'll forever know them as Bush X, not Bush, because that's what they went by in Canada - this was because we already had a band named Bush). Anyway, they sounded like somebody took the grunge sound and made it horrible on purpose. Their song "swallowed" gave me the opposite of goosebumps.

Creed was pretty bad, it always sounded like they tried really really hard to sound hard, but it didn't quite work out for them.

And does anyone remember this song? By a bunch of douchebags or something? Only douchebags liked this song, it seems, so I'm going with "music written by douchebags, for douchebags"

Link to video.

^^ but I have to admit it is slightly catchy, even though the lyrics seem to have been written by a mentally handicapped octopus.

The winner for me is Serial Joe

Link to video.

A horrible recording of a horrible video by a horrible band

Some of Blur song are quite cool and great, like Coffee and Tv, beetlebum, charmless man, etc. Those who say all of Blur are song are garbage possibly just cause by sentiment that not really objectively measure or maybe they are just a hardcore fan of Oasis :D

]

Actually 'Charmless man' was really a bad idea for a song (and video...). Not sure if the actor playing the 'charmless man' in that vid was supposedly having a laugh, but i doubt it (90s British mentality and all :\ ).

A bit like a band making a song/vid against fat people or something. Not good :eek:

I disliked Oasis as well, but they were very different from Blur anyway.
Suede had a couple of nice songs/riffs, but only in their first album, cause back then they had a good guitarist as well ;)

Link to video.

(a super-poser band, of course, moreso even than Radiohead later).

they just scream dad rock. i never understood their appeal either. they have some good songs, but it's never their big hits.

Uh why are they dad rock (especially from someone who likes music much older than them like Joy Division or the Ramones). Pearl Jam is arguably the best 90's band, not the worst. And their hits are fantastic.

Uh why are they dad rock (especially from someone who likes music much older than them like Joy Division or the Ramones). Pearl Jam is arguably the best 90's band, not the worst. And their hits are fantastic.

Imo Pearl Jam never had any distinctive tone or composition style. They got lumped into 'grunge' but they are not very similar to Nirvana or Alice in Chains. And since along with those two and Soundgarden they were the four big Seattle bands, it makes sense to compare them to the others which were at least more distinctive.

Not to say that PJ had worse guitarists (Cobain likely was far worse), but they are both mediocre as guitar players AND non-original in their compositions, whereas the same is not true for the mediocre but original guitarists in Nirvana/Soundgarden/AIC. :)

As noted, i liked their Jeremy song:

Link to video.

I'm not seeing how Pearl Jam isn't distinctive. They don't really remind me of much else.

dad rock is a sound not like necessarily a timeframe. dad rock is the kind of bland, straight-forward rock that was prevalent in the 70s and then leaked into other decades.

think of it this way, in the future, when creating a 'classic rock of the 90s' station, pearl jam will have one of the highest number of songs on it. (incidentally, foo fighters will probably be the dad rock of the 00s)

joy division is way too not-popular enough.

ramones have some dad rock appeal.

pearl jam is a ymmv band. some like the appeal of straight-forward rock, whereas some folks crave a bit more.

I was going to go with Hootie and the Blowfish because it's such a stupid name, but.. I have to admit, they actually have musical talent and the songs don't sound so bad in terms of raw musicalness. That one incredibly popular song they have has been drilled too much into my head, and I hate it, but if I'm going to be honest, there is a lot worse stuff out there.

Bush X was horrible, but has already been mentioned. (I'll forever know them as Bush X, not Bush, because that's what they went by in Canada - this was because we already had a band named Bush). Anyway, they sounded like somebody took the grunge sound and made it horrible on purpose. Their song "swallowed" gave me the opposite of goosebumps.

Creed was pretty bad, it always sounded like they tried really really hard to sound hard, but it didn't quite work out for them.

And does anyone remember this song? By a bunch of douchebags or something? Only douchebags liked this song, it seems, so I'm going with "music written by douchebags, for douchebags"

Link to video.

^^ but I have to admit it is slightly catchy, even though the lyrics seem to have been written by a mentally handicapped octopus.

The winner for me is Serial Joe

Link to video.

A horrible recording of a horrible video by a horrible band

You might like Hootie even more now these days... he switched to Country after making it in the other musical division.

:lol:

What's next for Hootie then, hip hop?

Hootee 'n the blow crew?

Okay, I guess I suck at naming hypothetical hip hop groups, but there you go.

I'm not seeing how Pearl Jam isn't distinctive. They don't really remind me of much else.

They remind me of my dad rocking out.

Imo Pearl Jam never had any distinctive tone or composition style. They got lumped into 'grunge' but they are not very similar to Nirvana or Alice in Chains. And since along with those two and Soundgarden they were the four big Seattle bands, it makes sense to compare them to the others which were at least more distinctive.

Not to say that PJ had worse guitarists (Cobain likely was far worse), but they are both mediocre as guitar players AND non-original in their compositions, whereas the same is not true for the mediocre but original guitarists in Nirvana/Soundgarden/AIC. :)

As noted, i liked their Jeremy song

I'm not sure but this is what I think, Nirvana maybe a much more talented and full of inspiration musician in comparison with Pearl Jam. However Pearl Jam as a musician imo has a better skill. I like the guitar in their music, it really sound good and the vocalist is quite powerful. However Nirvana regardless of their limited skill as musician (some people even said that Cobain cannot play guitar at all, but I will not go that far and I don't believe that is the case) they were able to produce lots of catchy and easy listening song that loveable for great number of people that made them more popular, however that does not made them a better musician than Pearl Jam. But again that is my opinion.

Even Flow is my favourite track in Pearl Jam and Betterman also sound quite good if you ask me. Stay alive also not at all a bad song. However if you compare Pearl Jam with Alice in Chains that's a nice comparison, Alice in Chains is quite an underrated band. About Soundgarden, the only thing I know about them is black hole sun, I mean are there any other song that they have beside that? :p

Soundgarden had a couple of other hits, although BHS was obviously their biggest one ;)

Others include Spoonman, Fell on black days, and Pretty Noose. They faded away one album after Superunknown..

I literally only know BHS lol poor me!

Btw to think about the lame music in 90's I just realize that I never like Zombie from Cranberries, that song really sound mehh... However there are many other Cranberries song that I like but Zombie is really sound so weird and tragic for my ears.

Top Bottom