Last Place...Tiny Island Civ..low resources

TobusRex

Chieftain
I started this game on a small island. I didn't WANT to start on a small island, but the game wanted me too (hehe). I beelined for galleys as soon as I could, but it still took a long time to get to Mapmaking. In the meantime I developed my little island as much as possible. When I finally did get galleys I sent them out exploring. Unfortunately you'll see that in almost every direction I'm JUST far enough from other islands to have to get out of coastal squares...and I kept losing my galleys before I finally broke through after I built the Great Lighthouse in 430 AD (yes, I know it's largely a waste of resources..but there was no point in creating more workers/settlers on my little island).

I spent the mid portion of the game exploring and trading for tech (since I was way way behind techwise) and luxuries (Since I had a lot of spices I was able to procure several trades). Now the whole time this was happening I continued to build roads, mines, irrigation, etc (I switched to Republic, then Democracy, as fast as possible). I really wasn't in any condition to invade anyone until I got stronger. But my cities were growing fast and my tech level started going up faster and faster. After I refused to give a free tech to the Aztecs, they declared war on me (and the Americans with them!). I just defended the island against those 2 for hundreds of years. They landed Cavalry on the island and the best units I had were Samurai (I had no saltpeter), so I knew I was still well behind the tech curve. I easily swatted aside the AI's :):):):):):) attacks. I refused to pay them for peace for hundreds of years because 1) I seemed to suffer no war weariness (because my troops never left Japan?) and 2) it allowed me to see what tech the AI had on a constant basis.

When the Aztec finally sent Bombers to hit Japan, and I was still several techs away from Flight, I decided it would be a good time to pay them off, lol. Anyway, here is where I'm at now: only native resources I have are iron (although I can't see the square), coal and spices. I'm getting saltpeter from another country. I have several trades going to obtain luxuries. My former enemy (who is still furious with me) the Aztecs are selling me rubber and oil for 65 gpt. After they started selling me those resources I started building as many tanks as possible, and upgraded all my riflemen to Infantry. Now I have 34 Infantry, 18 tanks, 23 Samurai (lol) and 17 artillery. There are only 7 turns remaining on the current trade, and I want to build some fighters in the north and eastern cities to guard against future bomber attacks. I figure I can squeeze out maybe another 10-15 tanks before the Aztecs cut off the trade or backstab me.

Obviously I need to secure oil and rubber. The small island to my southeast has oil and would probably be easy to take, but I'd have to fight the guys selling me oil and rubber to get it! (not a good idea). On the other hand, I can attack the Greeks to my north and secure an oil field there, and there is rubber about 1/2 a continent away in Egypt. I'm thinking of landing many tanks/inf/art on the coastal hill between Sparta and Athens. From there I'll attack Athens first to remove the massive culture rolling out of there, then I'll try to secure Sparta (near the rubber in the next phase), Delphi, and Thermopalae (finally securing the oil). After taking Thermopalae I'll offer a peace treaty. I expect this to take a long time, lol.

What do you guys think? Any tips?

Attachments

• liljapan.SAV
    302.6 KB · Views: 50
Do you have a 4000 B.C. save? Also, you listed your unit's, and if you have had your golden age, you shouldn't have any samurai, and you also have too many Infantry, not enough tank's and artillery. I would like to see about 40 artillery and 50 tanks, and about 10 infantry. (plus a few to go along with the invasion force and a few tank's and arty to stay home and defend)

Top Bottom