Late game crash

tantoniou

Warlord
Hi guys, I have this Standard sized continents map, playing for almost a month now, SVN build 10600++ (can't find that info right now, maybe someone can hint to where it is). Game crushes on next turn, but can't find anything useful in the log file (tasuk.txt).

I tried recalc, delete some random fish Greenman units, change production to Research to all cities, change Research, abandon a few cities, changing graphs to low end, but nothing so far. Any other ideas? Or can someone confirm that it crashes on their system also?

My system is good I think for this kind of setup (FX8350, 8Gig Ram, radeon rx 570 4GB)...

Attachments

• tasuk September 8, AD-2017.zip
    5 MB · Views: 181
  • tasuk.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 66
If you have Windows 7 right click on BTS EXE, go to compatibility mode and choose "Windows XP"

Try updating to latest version.

I run on windows 10, but I'll try that right away.
Then there is no need to switch on compatibility mode - there is rare bug, that occurs only in Windows 7.

I see you are in Information era, AIs are in Atomic - Information era.
They built some tanks and aircraft, though they could build more of them. :)

Passed turn normally.
I guess you could try to update to latest SVN.

Last edited:
Then there is no need to switch on compatibility mode - there is rare bug, that occurs only in Windows 7.

I see you are in Information era, AIs are in Atomic - Information era.
They built some tanks and aircraft, though they could build more of them. :)

Passed turn normally.
I guess you could try to update to latest SVN.

I'll try updating to the latest SVN, but earlier when I run the SVN updater it showed a conflict on a Mormon Asset file, and I hesitated to do so.

Updating to a new SVN build doesn't work for me :(
Looks like it's a hardware thing then. Nothing I can do I guess

Maybe @Thunderbrd can replicate it.
Or go to earlier save and try to continue from there.

Hi guys, I have this Standard sized continents map, playing for almost a month now, SVN build 10600++ (can't find that info right now, maybe someone can hint to where it is). Game crushes on next turn, but can't find anything useful in the log file (tasuk.txt).

I tried recalc, delete some random fish Greenman units, change production to Research to all cities, change Research, abandon a few cities, changing graphs to low end, but nothing so far. Any other ideas? Or can someone confirm that it crashes on their system also?

My system is good I think for this kind of setup (FX8350, 8Gig Ram, radeon rx 570 4GB)...
I'll check this later tonight.

Here is your game advanced to the next turn. I had 4 cities wanting orders so I either qued up a Culture or a Hero. They should be easy for you to spot.

When it asked me to do a Re-Calc I did not do it. I wanted to see if it would process on it's own 1st. It took over 7 and 1/2 minutes to process the EoT wait. Very busy map.

I have an i7 2600k cpu with 12GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory with a Nvidia Gtx 760 Ti Oem vid card with 2 GB DDR5 vram. My OS is win 10 Pro 64. I run as administrator for the game.

Suggestion: do you have the original BtS CDs? Or access to DirectX 9.0c. Sometimes with newer DirectX versions you need to re-install this older version because the newer leave bits of the older code out. Re-installing 9.0c will not hurt Ant DirectX version past version 9.0c. I run DirectX 11, I think, might be 12 now with this vid card.

I am using the very lastest SVN version. Unless someone slipped another commit in in the past hour.

Attachments

• tasuk January 10, AD-2018.7z
    5 MB · Views: 98
Here is your game advanced to the next turn. I had 4 cities wanting orders so I either qued up a Culture or a Hero. They should be easy for you to spot.

When it asked me to do a Re-Calc I did not do it. I wanted to see if it would process on it's own 1st. It took over 7 and 1/2 minutes to process the EoT wait. Very busy map.

I have an i7 2600k cpu with 12GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory with a Nvidia Gtx 760 Ti Oem vid card with 2 GB DDR5 vram. My OS is win 10 Pro 64. I run as administrator for the game.

Suggestion: do you have the original BtS CDs? Or access to DirectX 9.0c. Sometimes with newer DirectX versions you need to re-install this older version because the newer leave bits of the older code out. Re-installing 9.0c will not hurt Ant DirectX version past version 9.0c. I run DirectX 11, I think, might be 12 now with this vid card.

I am using the very lastest SVN version. Unless someone slipped another commit in in the past hour.
Thanks for the help!
I was using SVN 10589, but even with the latest version it wouldn't proceed to the next turn. Also on win 10 pro x64, running as admin.
I have the original cd's but my drive won't work, so I'll find dx9 somewhere else, as I too am running on dx12.
The game proceeds now :) but I'll go with dx9 if the crash happens again.
Up to now turns took about 2-4' usually, this one took more than 5', that's a lot indeed!
Thanks again for the save!

You are most welcome. :)

I'll have to check the original crash point tomorrow... ran out of time tonight - had to go buy a fridge since ours suddenly decided to let everything in the freezer thaw out.

I'll have to check the original crash point tomorrow... ran out of time tonight - had to go buy a fridge since ours suddenly decided to let everything in the freezer thaw out.
Seriously hope you did not buy the type with the Freezer portion on the bottom with the door on slide rails. Worst design ever made. If you did, expect seal problems and icing around the air leaks. Side by side is best design and the fridges last longer too. I have one of those bottom door on slides and it's been nothing but a headache. I donated my old side by side to the Church and it's Still running and doing a fine job. Should have not given in to the Mrs. on this. :p

Seriously hope you did not buy the type with the Freezer portion on the bottom with the door on slide rails. Worst design ever made. If you did, expect seal problems and icing around the air leaks. Side by side is best design and the fridges last longer too. I have one of those bottom door on slides and it's been nothing but a headache. I donated my old side by side to the Church and it's Still running and doing a fine job. Should have not given in to the Mrs. on this. :p
No... apparently I'd have to be nearly made of money for that. I got a much more humble model.

Actually, though, it felt pretty good to be able to drop the cash on it and not feel any setback in it - this might be the first year of my life that would've been possible. I mean, I COULD'VE bought the high end ones like those you're talking about, but jeez... who wants to sacrifice so much for fulfilling the functions of a fridge?

No... apparently I'd have to be nearly made of money for that.
Yeah we did spend $1500 for this piece of ….lesser made quality but dressed up and promoted like it's the Best Everrrr! fridge. :p But then I have 4 adult people in the house still and used to have 2 grandkids every 2nd weekend too. But those days are gone now. When the back, that has 2 spots on it that build up ice from poor insulation or poorly placed insulation, finally rusts thru the 1/8 inch thick galvanized sheet metal back panel; We won't go this route again!

Yeah we did spend $1500 for this piece of ….lesser made quality but dressed up and promoted like it's the Best Everrrr! fridge. :p But then I have 4 adult people in the house still and used to have 2 grandkids every 2nd weekend too. But those days are gone now. When the back, that has 2 spots on it that build up ice from poor insulation or poorly placed insulation, finally rusts thru the 1/8 inch thick galvanized sheet metal back panel; We won't go this route again!
Yeah sometimes the more expensive ones aren't the better ones - hard to say until you experience them. I doubt mine will be great since I spent only about a 3rd of that on this one but it should be better than the one we have, bigger and... well... it works. (I hope)

On a full debug run through, I could not get this to crash for me. But it IS a huge involved late game and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it MAF's regularly. Your system may be good BUT there are limits to the 32 bit engine that we push in these late eras, particularly when you have quite a few players still in the game. We are doing what we can in our planning here to address this but it's going to be after the next release and will be savegame breaking when we do.

The conflict when you update the SVN suggests you do not have a 'clean' install of the mod. Did you do the cleanup that raxo suggested (I don't know how to either, but it might help). Probably right-click on the folder you SVN Update to and look through the options under "TortoiseSVN".

The other thing it could be is something in your UserSettings. If you could upload that folder, someone might find it helpful.

Hardware (in my limited understanding) is unlikely to be the cause. "Late game save too complex for the 32-bit game" is also unlikely, given that it doesn't crash for others.

The conflict when you update the SVN suggests you do not have a 'clean' install of the mod. Did you do the cleanup that raxo suggested (I don't know how to either, but it might help). Probably right-click on the folder you SVN Update to and look through the options under "TortoiseSVN".

The other thing it could be is something in your UserSettings. If you could upload that folder, someone might find it helpful.

Hardware (in my limited understanding) is unlikely to be the cause. "Late game save too complex for the 32-bit game" is also unlikely, given that it doesn't crash for others.
I simply deleted and redownloade my tortoise folder, then updated to the current svn. Now it's working smoothly, turn times now taking about 7-10'. No issues since Monday when I did this process, I advanced to nanotech era yesterday!
I will post about my whole experience when I finish the game, or when it gets unplayble , as I've been playing since June (third game now, first one to reach this far). I found some irritating stuff I'd like to post about, but I liked the game so far in general

Top Bottom