late game lag.

I think the problem is less on our desktops and more in the depth of this software. The algorithms seem to be very slow and the AIs do e.g. a lot of useless patrolling. :rolleyes:

In the IRC chat three weeks ago one of the Firaxians already hinted that they were looking at the issue for the patch. So lets hope huge maps become playable after next week.

Originally posted by Zippo

Actually, the "No Animations" option works... it just works 100% literally... not the way we would imagine. No Animation turns of the animations, but it still shows the units moving.

Hold on.....but it still doesn't go instantly like on a railroad...I was part of a succession and the moves of the workers and units were instant.

Originally posted by jc011

Hold on.....but it still doesn't go instantly like on a railroad...I was part of a succession and the moves of the workers and units were instant.

Ok I'm not sure what you mean here... could you explain a little?

Alright, I was playing in a succession game with other people, and using their settings. When I moved a unit, it moved instantly, just pop! But on mine, it still moves with the usually movement, (running, galloping, etc.) So i'm wondering if im doing something wrong? The settings are off, but it still doesn't seem to work.

I have a P3 - 700/100 with 640 Mb Sdram, and a no name GFX 32 MB (TNT), 8,5 ms IBM Deskstar(fast IDE-drive). Win 98 2ed. I have like 7 progs in the systray (ICQ, Winamp, filesharing prog etc).

I takes about 6 min to get through a turn on a Huge map with 16 civs in 1971 AD. I have about 40 workers. :mad:

Originally posted by Aryx
I takes about 6 min to get through a turn on a Huge map with 16 civs in 1971 AD. I have about 40 workers. :mad:

It gets...worse? I'm only up to about 1300 AD, on a huge map with 15 civs (my bribes disposed of Rome...bwahaha), and it takes soooooo long.

Originally posted by IceCascades

It gets...worse? I'm only up to about 1300 AD, on a huge map with 15 civs (my bribes disposed of Rome...bwahaha), and it takes soooooo long.

In one of my game on a huge map with 16 Civs, I have a few city right in between those Civs that are having a world war with tanks and mech inf (meaning all the other 16 Civs are at war with almost each other) and guess what? In between turn (inclusive of watching the AI killing each other with animation off) can take as long as 1/2 hour:cry: Of course each of the AI has about 200+ units to move around on a huge map that is almost covered with rails...:scan:

Originally posted by Achinz
I just wonder how they justify specifying a minimum system of 300 Mhz and a mere 32 MB ram :rolleyes:

Is there a consensus then that 512 Mb ram makes a significant difference to the speed in the end game?

I upgraded from 1.4 ghz Athlon + 128 meg ==> 640 meg. The memory upgrade didn't make any difference, though it might on a slower system.

Originally posted by costanza
I'm not dissin' Dell; my theory is that even though it has a much faster processor and much faster RAM, the amount of RAM the second one more than makes up for it.

Actually your Dell's P4, with its 20-step pipeline, is probably crunching through the AI algorithm at the same rate as (and possibly slower than) your Athlon. Your "faster" isn't really faster, especially with the branch mispredicts it'll run into with something like an AI algorithm.

Once you have enough RAM to keep the OS happy, adding more won't make your Civ session any faster. As fun as huge maps with tons of civs can be, the speed of normal size or even smaller maps toward endgame can make those games even better.

Top Bottom